CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Fri Dec 21 Storm obs. Widespread wind damage

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very impressive winds here... 80mph+ above 3,000ft. Earlier this morning I witnessed what I (and several others) thought were the strongest winds we've ever experienced on the mountain... to the point where it was hard to breath and pushed you back uphill with some other folks seeking shelter in the trees. Never seen anything like that before. 4-6 inches of new snow but drifted to several feet in spots.

BTV ASOS just came in at East 33G47.

Lots of folks with power out up here.

Did you lose all your snow?

I know we did in shelburne falls. Just a few small piles from the plows. I did notice some patches on my way to greenfield 20 mins ago but my guess is they are gone by now. Fingers crossed for a complete 06 style 180 beginning to Jan and not ending till the end of march.

Looks like we'll end up with around an inch, maybe a couple tenths more...the lull in precip is coming and by the time the next batch arrives, the column will no longer support snow.

That's about all i was thinking when I brought it up - that period of snow seemed plausible at the time. It was nice to see that -

Now, onward...

GGEM actually came in more impactful with the Xmass storm now…

It’s entirely possible that all we’ve been tracking in the runs were based on assimilation computer hallucinations – that Xmass dynamics and the 28th system are out over the Pacific. It would be interesting if that become the main player next week and not the 28th deal.

Pretty intense winds for a longer duration then I expected here in Boston. Quite the crazy walk home through the financial district. It was definitely sustained 30-40 and gusts I am hearing/seeing are easily 50+. To bad we weren't on the West side of this one! Even though everyone is bummed we aren't getting snow its a pretty spectacular storm from Visible. Looks at the tail of T-storms down to Cuba and the moisiture fetch from the Yucatan!

latest.jpg

do fir cars get wet?

LOL--I passed in either case. Now I have to get the truck in.

Did you lose all your snow?

Aside from the remant plow piles, yes. Down the hill there's quite a bit left as that's more wooded than the fields up here.

Temp dropped 5* in the last 30 minutes (48* to 43*), top gust recorded was 26mph, and so far 1.86" in the bucket.

Archived