CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Fri Dec 21 Storm obs. Widespread wind damage

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's pouring here. Tough to guage the rate (no pun intended) as there's likely some slush in there. My 2.5" is down to about 1" ftl. I'm hoping that it can outlast the rain, but it will be close. At least the temps aren't a huge issue in that regard, but it is still warming at 37.8.

I really liked seeing the topographical effects on the weathertap radar. Topography giveth and the topography taketh away.

Yes, indeed. This particular event is one of the more vivid orographic situations we've had in recent times. I'm getting some heavy rains now due to some extra midlevel lift, but even 15 minutes ago I had a patch of blue sky overhead.

Tomorrow may be my chance to clean up, depending on how much moisture is left behind with the W to NW flow. CAA along with instability from an ULL and moisture are the days I can do well.

Yes, indeed. This particular event is one of the more vivid orographic situations we've had in recent times. I'm getting some heavy rains now due to some extra midlevel lift, but even 15 minutes ago I had a patch of blue sky overhead.

Tomorrow may be my chance to clean up, depending on how much moisture is left behind with the W to NW flow. CAA along with instability from an ULL and moisture are the days I can do well.

The magic question......

39.3/39

Observing very strong winds aloft, but not mixing down obviously. Still a bit surprised at how weak the ground measurements have been considering, even though it's typical with easterly flow. Visibility has actually been a lot better today than much of the last few weeks despite the bouts of moderate/heavy rain.

Observing very strong winds aloft, but not mixing down obviously. Still a bit surprised at how weak the ground measurements have been considering, even though it's typical with easterly flow. Visibility has actually been a lot better today than much of the last few weeks despite the bouts of moderate/heavy rain.

I thought even here winds would be a bit stronger, especially the Cape. We'll see if they ramp up as the front passes.

I'm getting some pretty good gusts here in the 30-40 MPH range as the sunny breaks have allowed for mixing to take place.

Classic downslope storm in progress here with partial clearing at times overhead, gusty winds, fine sheet rain, and rainbows. Skies to my east over the Berkshires are very dark. Even off to my west over the Taconics, it's pretty grey as well. Really cool to see how topography is playing a big role in the weather around here today.

Archived