CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Fri Dec 21 Storm obs. Widespread wind damage

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rain's really coming down here. Lots of roof-slides. They're much more enjoyable when they're driven by the weight of snow rather than the washing of rain. Alas.

At least the back of the heavy rain is already ashore of CT and progressing rapidly northward. Hard to project how quickly will get here, but initial guess is abou 90 minutes.

So far the highest gust I've recorded is 25 mph.

Are you back in NH??

Nearly 3" here at the pit this morning (3:45a.m.). Currently in a lull with just -sn and gusty east winds.

Looks like there was close to 2" before compaction but hard to say. I went to bed at 1:30am with 1.3" and there is 1.5" right now but has been raining since 4am, maybe earlier. Still nice to see some white even if it's heading down the drain.

This was the view of the house at 7:30am:

Wow...you guys really cleaned up last night. Not more than a 1/4 to a 1/2" at most here, which is now long gone from the rain. Easterly downsloping must have really given me the shaft. I actually had some blue sky this morning around the time of sunrise before this next batch moved in.

You can see the topographic effects on this radar screenshot as the heavier echoes are aligning nicely with the mountain ranges. Notice the higher reflectivities west of the Hudson Valley due to the Catskills/Helderbergs, along the Taconics near the NY/MA line, and again east of Pittsfield. The downsloping is most pronounced west of the Taconics. While some of it could be due to midlevel processes, I think a lot of this is related to topography and strong easterly cross barrier flow.

post-48-0-79434000-1356099068_thumb.png

Wow...you guys really cleaned up last night. Not more than a 1/4 to a 1/2" at most here, which is now long gone from the rain. Easterly downsloping must have really given me the shaft. I actually had some blue sky this morning around the time of sunrise before this next batch moved in.

You can see the topographic effects on this radar screenshot as the heavier echoes are aligning nicely with the mountain ranges. Notice the higher reflectivities west of the Hudson Valley due to the Catskills/Helderbergs, along the Taconics near the NY/MA line, and again east of Pittsfield. The downsloping is most pronounced west of the Taconics. While some of it could be due to midlevel processes, I think a lot of this is related to topography and strong easterly cross barrier flow.

It's pouring here. Tough to guage the rate (no pun intended) as there's likely some slush in there. My 2.5" is down to about 1" ftl. I'm hoping that it can outlast the rain, but it will be close. At least the temps aren't a huge issue in that regard, but it is still warming at 37.8.

I really liked seeing the topographical effects on the weathertap radar. Topography giveth and the topography taketh away.

Archived