• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Historic Sandy Oct 26th - 31st, SE hybrid obs/disco thread....

WeatherNC

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw Panovich's projection and people here in the Charleston area will be surprised by the strength of this storm. They are expecting 8-10" waves. Irene closed down our local county park (still closed), power lines fell over Folly Road blocking Folly Beach, and there were lots of rain squalls.

Perfect! Just what I asked for. Thanks!

This storm makes me think of this ...

tumblr_m981mr15ZR1rxgg5yo1_500.png

This is from wxbrad's facebook page...

post-382-0-55228100-1351121252_thumb.jpg

254256_399372156801913_1776863428_n.jpg

Shoot! I got some securing loose objects to do after work tomorrow... Long duration wind event could actually come Mon/Tues if the phase is realized and it occludes over the mid-atlantic/oh valley.

The way the gfs and euro handle the whole N ATL ridging is the whole difference in the ots solutions vs the phased bomb solutions. The GFS actually trended toward the euro at 00z. But there was still enough of a weakness to allow it to avoid being captured till it's north of ME. Just something to watch in future model suites.

Made it to major before landfall.

HURRICANE SANDY TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL182012

130 AM EDT THU OCT 25 2012

...SANDY MAKES LANDFALL JUST WEST OF SANTIAGO DE CUBA...

SUMMARY OF 125 AM EDT...0525 UTC...INFORMATION

----------------------------------------------

LOCATION...20.0N 75.9W

ABOUT 5 MI...8 KM W OF SANTIAGO DE CUBA

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...115 MPH...185 KM/H

PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 020 DEGREES AT 15 MPH...24 KM/H

MINIMUM CENT

Made it to major before landfall.

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL182012

LOCATION...20.0N 75.9W

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...115 MPH...185 KM/H

MINIMUM CENT

No. They corrected it 10 minutes later to 110.

WTNT63 KNHC 250539

TCUAT3

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL182012...CORRECTED

CORRECTED WIND SPEED IN SUMAMRY

LOCATION...20.0N 75.9W

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...110 MPH...175 KM/H

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...957 MB...28.26 INCHES

Ya living here in the mountains I think the key is going to be how soon it phases. The Euro run this morning phases sooner and farther south pulling the cold air and moisture south laying down a couple inches verbatim across the mountains of WNC and defiantly West Virginia could see the brunt of the snow. Everything is could right now. In Meteorological terms I have never experienced something like this or seen anything like this. Very fascinating to say the least.

06Z not phasing until it gets the storm to Maine. Much farther than the Euro. The GFS is setting up a deep trough over the SE which would usher in some pretty cold air into the SE and would stick around for the first part of November. Still a ways to go before any model pin points if,when, and were the storm will phase. Just glad to have something this interesting to track. I think the strength of blocking will have a big impact on when and if this thing will phase. Was some great discussion about this in the NE forum about this.

Basically as it stands now you have the Euro,GFDL,NAM,NOGAPS all showing a impressive/historic storm coming into Delmarva/South NJ v/s the GFS who come close on 6z but still is way east of all other guidance. Euro ensmble are right there with it's Operational. Man the GFDL and even Euro would be something to behold. It's amazing how rock steady the euro keeps holdiing it's ground on such a potential big event.

LOL...........................

http://www.emc.ncep..../dgexops.conus/

Hahaha....I'll take my 21inches and call it a winter! Feel free to move this to the banter thread but this is hilarious. I'm taking this as a sober reminder to never look at the DGEX in the winter. You don't know how many times I have gotten excited that it was showing over a foot of snow and then 12 hours later it would disappear.

LOL...........................

http://www.emc.ncep..../dgexops.conus/

:facepalm: Oh DGEX..... You never disappoint. :lol:

I'm not sure if any one is aware, but the UGA/UF game is in Jacksonville Saturday afternoon... They could see gusts up to 50 mph: http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/bufkit/image_loader.phtml?site=kjax Should be super interesting to watch that game as Sandy passes by.

Oh, and if you haven't checked out the New England forum, there was a GREAT thread about the PV (Potential Vorticity) interaction between Sandy and the trough last night:

I'm not sure if any one is aware, but the UGA/UF game is in Jacksonville Saturday afternoon... They could see gusts up to 50 mph: http://www.meteor.ia...phtml?site=kjax Should be super interesting to watch that game as Sandy passes by.

Oh, and if you haven't checked out the New England forum, there was a GREAT thread about the PV (Potential Vorticity) interaction between Sandy and the trough last night: http://www.americanw...gh-interaction/

Ya read that this morning. Have been some great discussion in that thread.

This is just nutty:

My first fantasy flizzard of the year :wub::lol:

I'm not sure if any one is aware, but the UGA/UF game is in Jacksonville Saturday afternoon... They could see gusts up to 50 mph: http://www.meteor.ia...phtml?site=kjax Should be super interesting to watch that game as Sandy passes by.

Oh, and if you haven't checked out the New England forum, there was a GREAT thread about the PV (Potential Vorticity) interaction between Sandy and the trough last night: http://www.americanw...gh-interaction/

There are some great discussions there and in the MA sf. You just have to filter out the weenies ;)

Archived