• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Historic Sandy Oct 26th - 31st, SE hybrid obs/disco thread....

WeatherNC

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

SPOTTER REPORTS

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC

849 PM EDT TUE OCT 30 2012

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 24

HOURS FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION. APPRECIATION

IS EXTENDED TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...SKYWARN

SPOTTERS AND MEDIA FOR THESE REPORTS. THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE

ON OUR HOME PAGE AT WEATHER.GOV/GSP

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION STORM TOTAL TIME/DATE COMMENTS

SNOWFALL OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

NORTH CAROLINA

...AVERY COUNTY...

ELK PARK 14.0 142 PM 10/30 COUNTY OFFICIAL

FLAT SPRINGS 9.8 700 PM 10/30 1 INCH PAST 6 HOURS

BEECH MOUNTAIN 7.5 730 AM 10/30 CO-OP OBSERVER

NEWLAND 7.0 800 AM 10/30 PUBLIC

BANNER ELK 4.0 800 AM 10/30 CO-OP OBSERVER

...BUNCOMBE COUNTY...

2 SE BARNARDSVILLE 1.0 700 AM 10/30 H2O 0.35..

...HAYWOOD COUNTY...

10 NW COVE CREEK 24.0 1100 AM 10/30 PARK SERVICE

...JACKSON COUNTY...

CULLOWHEE T 730 AM 10/30 PUBLIC

...MADISON COUNTY...

FAUST 24.0 1100 AM 10/30 EMERGENCY MNGR

4 NW FAUST 6.0 1025 PM 10/29 NEAR I-26 AT TN BORDER

5 NNE MARS HILL 5.5 830 AM 10/30 SNOW CREEK.

MARSHALL 3.0 700 AM 10/30 TOTAL PRECIP 0.96.

...MITCHELL COUNTY...

BULADEAN 12.0 1100 AM 10/30 SPOTTER. STILL SNOWING.

6 N BAKERSVILLE 8.0 317 AM 10/30 NEAR BULADEAN

2 E BAKERSVILLE 1.0 956 PM 10/29 ROAN MOUNTAIN

...SWAIN COUNTY...

NEWFOUND GAP 22.0 1230 PM 10/30 NWS OFFICE

BRYSON CITY T 1256 PM 10/30 LOCAL POLICE

...TRANSYLVANIA COUNTY...

3 ESE CRUSO 5.0 1223 PM 10/30 PUBLIC

...YANCEY COUNTY...

MOUNT MITCHELL STATE 2.8 700 AM 10/30 MIN TEMP 18.

BURNSVILLE 1.0 318 AM 10/30 3-4 IN IN HIGHER ELEV

***********************SNOW ON GROUND***********************

LOCATION SNOW TIME/DATE COMMENTS

ON GROUND OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

NORTH CAROLINA

...AVERY COUNTY...

E FLAT SPRINGS 7.0 700 AM 10/30 WATER EQUIVALENT 1.00

FLAT SPRINGS 7.0 700 AM 10/30 TOTAL PRECIP 1.00

...BUNCOMBE COUNTY...

3 NW LEICESTER 3.0 545 AM 10/30 SOCIAL MEDIA

WEAVERVILLE 1.0 600 AM 10/30 SOCIAL MEDIA

2 SE BARNARDSVILLE 1.0 700 AM 10/30 H2O 0.35..

2 W SWANNANOA 0.3 600 AM 10/30 SOCIAL MEDIA

SWANNANOA T 600 AM 10/30 SOCIAL MEDIA

...HAYWOOD COUNTY...

CANTON 3.0 545 AM 10/30 SOCIAL MEDIA

...MADISON COUNTY...

MARSHALL 1.0 700 AM 10/30 TOTAL PRECIP 0.96.

...MITCHELL COUNTY...

BAKERSVILLE 4.0 545 AM 10/30 SOCIAL MEDIA

...TRANSYLVANIA COUNTY...

3 ESE CRUSO 4.0 620 AM 10/30 SOCIAL MEDIA

...YANCEY COUNTY...

MOUNT MITCHELL STATE 6.0 700 AM 10/30 MIN TEMP 18.

BURNSVILLE 2.0 545 AM 10/30 SOCIAL MEDIA

**********************24 HOUR RAINFALL**********************

LOCATION 24 HOUR TIME/DATE COMMENTS

RAINFALL OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

NORTH CAROLINA

...HAYWOOD COUNTY...

9 SSW CANTON 0.03 500 AM 10

I chased snow today along the Cherohala skyway. If anybody wants to see some great upslope snow from the comfort of your vehicle, I highly recommend you go there. The road crests at 5400ish feet, but I stopped ascending at 4300 due to road conditions. I drive a little hatchback with no 4wd or snow tires. There was about 4-6 inches on the ground at that elevation and it was still snowing hard. I have no idea how much snow has accumulated near the crest, but it was likely significantly more than what I saw. The sky was much darker towards the summit. At 4300 feet the temperature was 28 degrees and the wind was fairly light. I could hear a distant roar of much stronger gusts hitting the higher peaks around me. I'll upload some pics later.

Here are some pics from today's trip. I went up the Cherohala Skyway, which runs from Tellico Plains, TN to Robbinsville, NC. The road apparently will typically remain open during snow events, though it was extremely treacherous above 4000 ft. I stopped my ascent at 4400 feet due to quickly deteriorating weather and road conditions. The snow was surely much deeper over 5000 ft, but without 4WD I didn't want to risk getting stuck in that wilderness. We first saw snow right around 3000 ft, and by 3500 feet it was easily a couple of inches deep. We arrived at this point right as a brilliant red sunset lit up the mountains in front of us. Here are some pics:

IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2124.jpg

Pretty clear in the pics that the snow was falling only around the highest ridgetops.

This was where I stopped to turn around:

PA300351.jpg

In this pic you can see that the snow must have initally melted on the sidewalks. It was around 6 inches deep in the grass and 4 inches on the sidewalk. The road surface only had a couple of inches, but the slush was piling up in ruts and creating a problem for my low car:

PA300362.jpg

And my trusty vehicle, which never even came close to getting stuck. I bought new all season tires about a month ago, and they seemed to do very well in the snow. My issue was not traction, but clearance. The snow was starting to drag on the plastic engine undertray, so I didn't think venturing higher into deeper snow was very wise:

PA300354.jpg

So needless to say, I have a new favorite place to chase snow. The roads were salted, but they desperately needed plowing. As I said above, I would NOT have gone farther up the mountain without 4WD.

Mounte Leconte: 34"

Pictures contained in the daily log:

http://www.highonlec...aily-posts.html

Well, we are hanging in there. It was a long night last night, for us and the hikers who came up. We had ten more guests show up between 7 pm and 11 pm. There were a few experienced hikers who love hiking in winter conditions. They said it was extremely difficult for them. It took some of them 10 hours to hike up Rainbow Falls trail. There are a lot of trees down on the trails. The hikers were telling stories of crawling under some of these blow downs. We currently have 34" of snow. The drifts are up to the roof on the dining hall. Chris and I snowshoed out Alum a little ways to check it out, it was hard with snow shoes. John and Bonnie hiked through waist deep snow to check out Cliff Tops. The temperatures are in the teens. The high yesterday was 20 with a low of 16. We are expecting another 3 inches on top of this snow.

Mounte Leconte: 34"

Pictures contained in the daily log:

http://www.highonlec...aily-posts.html

Well, we are hanging in there. It was a long night last night, for us and the hikers who came up. We had ten more guests show up between 7 pm and 11 pm. There were a few experienced hikers who love hiking in winter conditions. They said it was extremely difficult for them. It took some of them 10 hours to hike up Rainbow Falls trail. There are a lot of trees down on the trails. The hikers were telling stories of crawling under some of these blow downs. We currently have 34" of snow. The drifts are up to the roof on the dining hall. Chris and I snowshoed out Alum a little ways to check it out, it was hard with snow shoes. John and Bonnie hiked through waist deep snow to check out Cliff Tops. The temperatures are in the teens. The high yesterday was 20 with a low of 16. We are expecting another 3 inches on top of this snow.

Awesome.... when do things close down for the winter up there?

Well this isnt Boone, but it is near App Ski Mtn. I would say a good 4 inches there. Decided to drive up today and check out the snow. There was about 2-3 inches on the road where the trees cleared out so I decided not to attempt going through it as I was in my Mini Cooper and there was a car just to my right, that you cant see, that had ran off the road. facepalm.png

post-7405-0-22463700-1351701492_thumb.jp

Varies greatly around town but 5-6" is a good average. For some reason the university decided to have class even though the secondary roads are terrible. My Jeep is surrounded by 3 foot drifts...not going anywhere.

Wow, right on par with the forecast then. Maybe you'll get another inch or two. Soooo jealous of my friends at ASU. Is the elevation there about the same as the rest of Boone?

Wow, right on par with the forecast then. Maybe you'll get another inch or two. Soooo jealous of my friends at ASU. Is the elevation there about the same as the rest of Boone?

Campus average is around 3,200'...my house west of town is at 3522'. I think I actually get less accumulating snow than in town during high wind events like this. I live on the top of a very narrow ridge (only about 200m wide). I think the snow actually just blows right off and settles in the lower valley areas.

Roan Mountain Snow Accumulations from Hurricane Sandy

Photos from the Watauga Road website and the photographs are courtesy of Johnathan Ibach who ventured Wednesday to Roan Mountain in Western Avery Country at the NC/TN line.

He measured 18" of average snow accumulation in the protected areas with ranges from 16" to 22". Drift were up to 4 feet deep.

The Watauga Roads Website run by Kenneth Reece is a good resource for road and weather conditions in the NC High Country.

http://wataugaroads.com/

http://wataugaroads.com/2012/10/sightsofsandy/

post-581-0-77824800-1351767793_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-07582000-1351767816_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived