• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Historic Sandy Oct 26th - 31st, SE hybrid obs/disco thread....

WeatherNC

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL Ok it looks like it was a bad report on my part in terms of the snow. I will upload the video and you will see how real it looked. There is some stuff blowing all over town that looks like flakes but they are not melting. Styrofoam or something. However the thickenesses are low enough but yes the BL is warm. However flurries were seen in Henderson and Oxford.

LOL Ok it looks like it was a bade report on my part in terms of the snow. I will upload the video and you will see how real it looked. There is some stuff blowing all over town that looks like flakes but they are not melting. Styrofoam or something. However the thickenesses are low enough but yes the BL is warm. However flurries were seen in Henderson and Oxford.

Good one. I was hallucinating earlier also. I went up to check on the progress of some framers working on a barn and I saw some tiny stuff floating in the air. I confirmed it when I saw that tiny stuff hitting my windshield and then blowing in the wind. Then I got a clue and realized it was sawdust from the framers saws.

Good one. I was hallucinating earlier also. I went up to check on the progress of some framers working on a barn and I saw some tiny stuff floating in the air. I confirmed it when I saw that tiny stuff hitting my windshield and then blowing in the wind. Then I got a clue and realized it was sawdust from the framers saws.

laugh.pnglaugh.png:lol:

We saw a gust of 30 mph last hour in Columbus. Crazy winds all day/night/day long so far and another 24 hours or so of it! Amazing wind field!

A few days ago I pondered about whether to see if late season tropical cyclones reaching that far north so late in the season was a completely unique event (well Hurricane Sandy in my mind is very unique, and without precedent in regards to barometric pressure, and storm surge. The left-hook into New Jersey created the same channeling into NJ and NY states much like Katrina in 2005. I believe the 946mb pressure after Sandy was declared post-tropical makes this the lowest pressure reading for a direct landfalling non(post)-tropical storm in the Contiguous 48 States on record. Anyways found some surprising late-season and later in the season TC's landfalls, including two very late season tropical cyclones not counted that struck Canada in late November, and one that went post-tropical on Dec 1 in the late 1890's. I will make a separate post with the research later today

Drove up to SW VA from Knoxville yesterday afternoon. Hungry Mother State Park was beautiful as the snow started coming down. Got into some heavy blowing snow outside of Wythevile at dusk. Turned around and spent the night in Abingdon where they got about 4 inches over night. The wind was howling but the flakes were tiny. It was fun experiencing snow in October!

Well it delivered or still is deleivering as I type. Check out the MA thread. Beau chased and is in WVA awesome pics from up that way.

Yeah I've been looking at Beau pics. Pretty amazing up where he is. I just thought the radar would look more impressive in NC and WV mountains than it did. I do know that some lower elevations got the shaft because of the lighter returns but obviously not the choice up slope areas.

Some big totals showing up along the NC/TN border...

NORTH CAROLINA

...AVERY COUNTY...

ELK PARK 14.0 142 PM 10/30 COUNTY OFFICIAL

...HAYWOOD COUNTY...

10 NW COVE CREEK 24.0 1100 AM 10/30 PARK SERVICE

...MADISON COUNTY...

FAUST 24.0 1100 AM 10/30 EMERGENCY MNGR

...MITCHELL COUNTY...

BULADEAN 12.0 1100 AM 10/30 SPOTTER. STILL SNOWING.

...SWAIN COUNTY...

NEWFOUND GAP 22.0 1230 PM 10/30 NWS OFFICE

BRYSON CITY T 1256 PM 10/30 LOCAL POLICE

...TRANSYLVANIA COUNTY...

3 ESE CRUSO 5.0 1223 PM 10/30 PUBLIC

Snow fell but did not stick anywhere below around 2,500 ft in my neck of the woods. The lowest temperature observed IMBY is 34F, which explains a lot. Credit to MRX for their skepticism; even a system as unprecedented as Sandystein could not overcome the warm ground temperatures shown on the GFS and NAM. As for QPF, I'm well over an inch and a quarter since Saturday afternoon, and a chunk of that came last night. The disparaging radar returns we saw last night did not account for the "squeeze" the mountains placed on the atmosphere. As disappointed as I am that snow did not pan out for those of us below 2,500 ft, I am content with the bitterly cold air and wet conditions today. Snow or no, cold and wet is my kind of weather.

Outside of my backyard, observations indicate that across Unicoi and Carter counties, the cutoff between significant snow and none at all is quite sharp. Generally, 8"-12" have fallen between 3,000 and 4,000 ft, and significantly more has fallen above that threshold. Sam's Gap was shut down for at least a portion of last night; TN 107 through Limestone Cove was the scene of multiple wrecks and as a result was also closed. I drove to the state line on TN 395 past Rock Creek Park around 9:30 last night and enjoyed white-out conditions and a solid 5" of snowcover. I noticed that the first few inches was comprised of wet, thick snow, but the top layer was quite dry and powdery, blowing around at will (and more importantly was not conducive to snowball-making). The lowest my thermometer dropped while there was 30F, which is generally warm enough to warrant heavy, wet snow. Fortunately, I believe this limited tree damage in an area that was decimated by the continual severe weather this summer.

if newfound gap reported 24 inches than mt. leconte (6400') must be around 30 . the innkeeper has a blog "high on mt. leconte" she's been updating with photos

but i know that leconte squeezes out more precip in nw flow then new found gap so ....they may get 40 or so at leconte.

High onLeconte reports "almost 3 feet and still coming down"

NWS website problems...

* * * * * * Technical Note * * * * * * *

Tue Oct 30 2012 16:05:36 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

A cut fiberoptic line belonging to a commercial phone company has disrupted websites serving the Easter Region. As this issue is being resolved, we are now operating our websites in backup mode.

boy what a dud. west asheville saw some flakes but nothing at all on the ground and the snowflakes were few and far between.

I knew NWS Greenville was out to lunch with their accumulations east of the mountains when NWS Blacksburg issued their first map...Greenville had 0.5 or more in the foothills. They immediately cut down totals to zero upon the next map. Conservative Blacksburg is good when it comes to winter weather.

Archived