• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Historic Sandy Oct 26th - 31st, SE hybrid obs/disco thread....

WeatherNC

Actually the models had the heaviest QPF between now and noon tomorrow with a drop off in QPF after that time frame. I know the nw flow could still win out in the end but I think the lights out totals that were being progged in wv are in jeopardy as the radar presentation does not support the modeled QPF that was being shown. Maybe that will all change and it could but it is underperforming on the front end when the QPF was supposed to be the best.

Maybe I'm wrong and I hope I am because I'm all for a big storm.

On another note...my temp has been rising the past hour.

Ya NW flow has really kicked in here in Haywood County. Heavy heavy snow coming down. Wind will slice you in two and everything is turning white at work. Reports were I live is we have an inch now.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it took all night to snow here. Cars are white and the roofs are white. It's not snowed hard enough to overcome the warm ground yet. 34 degrees . They showed a shot of Mars Hill on TV and they have heavy snow and the ground and the reporter said the road is white. The best time for it to snow is probably done . Daytime will not be our friend here.

Couple things to post, 1st obs from Weaverville. 32.3° with moderate snow falling overnight low was 31.8°. Wind was not a big factor for the upper end of the FBR valley. Trees, Cars, & grass are snow covered with a solid inch of snow. Roads seem to be just wet. Have to say Moto was on to something last night. As with all NWFS events they are certainly elevation driven (esp ones not in the dead of winter) and the higher alt. may still get to their forecast totals but, the valley locations most likely will not. GSP made note of this in the overnight as posted below. We all want to over achieve in our snow totals but all in all I am ecstatic to have snow on the ground before Halloween. Will try to post some pics when the sun comes up.

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

REGIONAL RADARS ARE SHOWING A FAIR AMOUNT OF DOWNSLOPE DRYING WITH

THE FLOW COMING ACROSS THE HIGH TERRAIN OF SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA. THIS

IS APPARENTLY HURTING OUR MOISTURE TRANSPORT...AS LEAST AS EVIDENCED

BY THE WEAK RETURNS MOVING ACROSS THE NC MTNS. CROSS SECTIONS ACROSS

THE NC MTNS DON/T SHOW MUCH EPV AND THE Q-VECTOR CONVERGENCE

WEAKENS CONSIDERABLY AFTER 12 UTC. HOWEVER...THE GFS AND SREF

ACTUALLY INCREASE THE AMOUNT OF QPF BETWEEN 12-18 UTC...APPARENTLY

AS THE BAND OF MOISTURE OVER WV WHICH WAS ASSOCIATED WITH THE CORE

OF T.C. SANDY MOVES SOUTHWARD. THEREFORE...I STILL EXPECT A PERIOD

OF HEIGHTENED SNOWFALL RATES...PARTICULARLY ALONG THE IMMEDIATE TN

LINE. THE WARNINGS AND ADVISORIES WILL BE KEPT IN PLACE...THOUGH

TOTALS HAVE BEEN CUT BACK ACROSS THE VALLEY FLOORS.

I have a couple of customers in the Roan Mountain area of Tennessee. They are reporting b/w 16 and 18 inches. Impressive for them as they should easily top 20.

Another customer from the Flag Pond area in TN, running up I-26 toward Asheville is reporting 6+ in her backyard. Looks to be a snowy day for both of these areas.

Tricities is just a cold rain. I have measured about .40 in the rain bucket since 8PM last night.

Currently 33 degrees at my office in Erwin, where we have occasional mixed rain and snow.

I have two very disappointed little kids this morning. Note to self...........don't tell them it's going to snow if it's not going to snow.

Obs update from Weaverville: 32.7° with light to moderate snow falling. Got out to take the kids to school (2hr delay) & we actually have 2". Roads are okay except for some slushy spots. Unlike others in the Mnts. we are not getting the brutal winds. I snapped some good pics while we were on our way to school & will post them later. It def. doesn't look like Oct. outside.

Archived