christians
    Newest Member
    christians
Hurricane Sandy

Wonderdog

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a guess, I'd say because it's still averaging in a few members who have it escaping out to Spain/Africa and then probably also has some members that pop a separate coastal low. Those members with the separate low and those that have a capture probably look fairly similar by ~150hrs if you pay no attention to where the monster low comes from, hence the appearance of a full capture. As a wag though, I'd say probably many if not most ensemble members will have a full capture given the trends over the past few model cycles.

Agreed.

All hail the Euro Ensemble.

As a guess, I'd say because it's still averaging in a few members who have it escaping out to Spain/Africa and then probably also has some members that pop a separate coastal low. Those members with the separate low and those that have a capture probably look fairly similar by ~150hrs if you pay no attention to where the monster low comes from, hence the appearance of a full capture. As a wag though, I'd say probably many if not most ensemble members will have a full capture given the trends over the past few model cycles.

The depth of the low does suggest there are quite a few really deep members near Long Island even taking into account the spread and the few (I probably diminishing number ) that let Sandy escape to the east. Of course the members that develop a second really powerful low on the baroclinic zone northwest of Sandy also probably give weight to the long island and then nrn PA location shown on the mean.

The depth of the low does suggest there are quite a few really deep members near Long Island even taking into account the spread and the few (I probably diminishing number ) that let Sandy escape to the east. Of course the members that develop a second really powerful low on the baroclinic zone northwest of Sandy also probably give weight to the long island and then nrn PA location shown on the mean.

Here are the individual members.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/ENSPRSNE_12z/ensprsloopmref.html

Looks like all but 2 hit the NE at some point. The op run is the slowest late Tuesday up in Maine but others bring a powerful/deep hurricane into NYC by 12z Monday.

Here are the individual members.

http://www.meteo.psu...rsloopmref.html

Looks like all but 2 hit the NE at some point. The op run is the slowest late Tuesday up in Maine but others bring a powerful/deep hurricane into NYC by 12z Monday.

lol, I just posted in your thread while you were posting in ours. The euro ensembles last night and the gefs today are in pretty close agreement which to me is pretty impressive and makes me think that a phase is now the most likely scenario with the exact track still being up for grabs.

lol, I just posted in your thread while you were posting in ours. The euro ensembles last night and the gefs today are in pretty close agreement which to me is pretty impressive and makes me think that a phase is now the most likely scenario with the exact track still being up for grabs.

how far south do we need it to hit landfall so we can get snow from this thing

how far south do we need it to hit landfall so we can get snow from this thing

I haven;t even though of that yet. It's a real balancing act as the warm seclusion is going to wrap lots of warm air into and around the system one the north side but probably even some on the w until you get south of the low where the westerly winds accelerate the front eastward. The west winds will try to produce downsloping and drying so it's hard to know how much precip will fall where it is cold enough to snow. I'm not ready to guess yet.

I haven;t even though of that yet. It's a real balancing act as the warm seclusion is going to wrap lots of warm air into and around the system one the north side but probably even some on the w until you get south of the low where the westerly winds accelerate the front eastward. The west winds will try to produce downsloping and drying so it's hard to know how much precip will fall where it is cold enough to snow. I'm not ready to guess yet.

What kind of meteorologist are you?!

I'm thinking 2000' and up out here in Pocahontas County will at least see some upslope.

I'm thinking 2000' and up out here in Pocahontas County will at least see some upslope.

From what I saw on the GFS the higher ridges in WV-MD-PA are poised to get some upslope regardless of Sandy. I didn't pay close attention but post frontal passage looks pretty ripe for some orographic snow. Even a little vort max rounding the bottom in se wv @ hr 114ish.

Archived