joxey
Hurricane Sandy

Wonderdog

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the weenie posts were (are) hilarious to read :whistle:

I was surprisingly less against it happening than I remember. I think on Twitter at least I was making fun of people for believing day 8 models. 

Sandy's eye coming on shore

That seems right. I remember trying to sleep and thinking the roof was going to rip off. The creeks going on above my head were not something I ever want to hear again. That and loosing power at the onset at 5pm. We were lucky though as we were up by 11am the following morning. 

I kind of don't get the 'meh-ing' of the experience. Was it because the damage was less than hyped?

In terms of the actual experience-- 6-9" of rain with frequent gusts over 50 mph regionwide-- this was only topped by Hazel for a tropical/post-tropical system in our lifetimes. Or Isabel if storm surge is your thing...

I was thinking the "meh-ing" is sarcastic. Maybe not.

I lost two 100-year old pines in my front yard during the storm with damage to the house. Noteworthy in my area, anyway.

The effects simply weren't memorable enough to warrant it being remembered as an incredibly exciting event, IMO.  And I think most people (including me) tend to either exaggerate or downplay such hyped events after the fact.

The evolution of the storm was absolutely remarkable, but overall it was just a rainy, cold, and (quite) windy event IMBY.

I know the day Sandy hit, I took the best nap ever that afternoon. Being 7 months pregnant and the wind and rain, it was fantastic.

You were giving everyone the :weenie: card the first ten pages of this thread.

Up in the NJ/NYC area where I live the storm was as severe as I think is possible in that region.

You were giving everyone the :weenie: card the first ten pages of this thread.

Up in the NJ/NYC area where I live the storm was as severe as I think is possible in that region.

Do you normally believe an eight day out model run showing a hurricane moving north and then turning left into the EC?  We all should have been skeptical and we were.  once it got real it was discussed properly.

Thanks for stopping by!!!

Do you normally believe an eight day out model run showing a hurricane moving north and then turning left into the EC?  We all should have been skeptical and we were.  once it got real it was discussed properly.

Thanks for stopping by!!!

To answer your question, no

However, it was pretty clear early on that the chances of it happening were above normal.

To answer your question, no

However, it was pretty clear early on that the chances of it happening were above normal.

Right.  Cause the very next day it was shown going into NE.  We in the MA have every reason to not immediately swallow storms shown that far out.  Most of our winters show a 5+ day storm that goes bye bye.  But I digress.  We always welcome our brethern from NJ to come in and point out people who post multiple :weenie:

Archived