• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
TS Isaac Banter Thread

This is an excellent example of how ineffective the IR channel is at estimating the intensity of tropical storms. Isaac right now is easily the best organized that it ever has been and is developing an inner core/eyewall at this time. The IR can not see the developing rain bands and it only takes one convective tower to cover the entire storms with a giant anvil of cold cloud tops, which doesn't tell you much at all about what is going on underneath. Now, the IR looks "bad" because there is no CDO/cold cloud tops around the center, but the microwave tells us there are warm rainbands around the center which release significant amounts of latent heat. The cold cloud tops will come later. Unfortunately Haiti is going to get in the way or we would see very fast development from this point forward.

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just pushed out a 04Z update output, just showing impacts to the Key West area right now. Showing winds picking up out of the east at 35mph after 25th at 17 Zulu and holding in the low to mid 30;s through 26th at 04 Zulu. Similiar to the Florida Keys area with winds gusting up to around 35mph after around 26th at 00Z.

TS Isaac OverWatch: http://smartwxmodel.net/update.htm

I wouldn't consider that scenario a "lol" per say...

Not lol as in I want it to happen -- let's make it clear, I really don't want this to come close to New Orleans.

My lol was in reference to the fact that the solution is rather farfetched. It hits New Orleans then stalls over the city for days. Pretty much a worst-case scenario.

My apologies if my post offended any.

11Z: Still tracking some good thunderstorms moving into eastern Florida region. Could see isolated wind gusts in the low 50's with the stronger cells. In addition Key West area getting some good rains moving into the area, with potential for isolated winds up to 36mph across the area. Still seeing the stronger steady winds above 40-45 mph after 26th at 06Z across the South Florida areas.

Isaac OverWatch: http://smartwxmodel.net/update.htm

I saw Key West dropped to a pretty unusual 71.6 degrees this morning. Found this in the AFD:

In the water vapor it looks like there is a vorticity maximum forming over the Florida Straits that could have some impact on issac at least in the short term. Also...this feature may have been the culprit for the cold pool aloft producing 40 to 45 knots winds across the stratoform rain shield over the key island chain and coastal waters before midnight.

I saw Key West dropped to a pretty unusual 71.6 degrees this morning. Found this in the AFD:

In the water vapor it looks like there is a vorticity maximum forming over the Florida Straits that could have some impact on issac at least in the short term. Also...this feature may have been the culprit for the cold pool aloft producing 40 to 45 knots winds across the stratoform rain shield over the key island chain and coastal waters before midnight.

They use small case italics down there? Cool! Almost looks like a human wrote it!

I have a feeling that this will be mainly a flooding threat rather than a wind threat. seriously having doubts about RI looking at the visible, IR, WV, and SST's.

Right now... yes. However, we still have plenty of time before this gets in the Gulf of Mexico. Based on the degraded appearance now, I think its unlikely this become a hurricane before a Florida Keys impact. We are another 2+ days beyond that before the Panhandle will get hit.

I'm not accepting the Canadian superstorm West of New Orleans, obviously, but...

Looking at the Alan Huffman/Raleigh, hard to read the numbers, was it showing an 880 mb landfall? How a global can get to 880 mb, even if wrong, would be amazing.

It was showing a 980 mb landfall.

Archived