Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
TS Isaac Banter Thread

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18Z Update: I am currently seeing based on my outputs over the Key West Region of winds approaching 45mph around 20/21Z, then increasing above 50mph after 03Z through 16Z, with peak winds speed around 58mph. Rainfall rates heaviest now through 23Z, with rates around .20 per hour. In addition tornado threat is highest through 03Z. Definitely some Street Flooding and Isold Flooding areas in the Key West region. Miami-Homestead region, looking at winds around 40-45mph through about 10Z, then diminishing. Heaviest rainfall will be now through 05Z, with rates around .25 to .3 per hour. Tornado threat highest through 09Z.

I wonder if the people from New Orleans are ready for another strong hurricane .

I'm sure they are, it might be bewildering, but it is a fact of life when you are living on the Gulf Coast. The bigger question might be, is the infrastructure prepared to deal with another hurricane (potentially major hurricane) strike?

I'm sure they are, it might be bewildering, but it is a fact of life when you are living on the Gulf Coast. The bigger question might be, is the infrastructure prepared to deal with another hurricane (potentially major hurricane) strike?

Hopefully the levees are strong enough this time around.

wow. im talking about the distance from the ground. obviously the pressure can not be 850mb. look at a skew t chart and you will understand.

here is what im talking about. (i hope your not trolling me btw)

I'm confused as to what you're referring to. Your initial post said "at 850mb it is 950.3mb" which makes no physical sense. Perhaps you could clarify what you meant?

Is anyone else watching the radar closely? It almost looks like we're seeing some clearing in convection in what could be an eye at some point in the next 12 hours or so? Is anyone else seeing this? The area I'm looking at is almost due south of the radar at 18:09Z and just to the SSW at 19:00Z.

Is anyone else watching the radar closely? It almost looks like we're seeing some clearing in convection in what could be an eye at some point in the next 12 hours or so? Is anyone else seeing this? The area I'm looking at is almost due south of the radar at 18:09Z and just to the SSW at 19:00Z.

1) These types of posts are probably more well suited for the banter thread. This thread is mostly for detailed explanations of the various areas of the forecast.

2) You will see all sorts of things on radar (some real, some imaginary) if you analyze the radar frame by frame with a tropical cyclone. Wobbles, banding, center changing because of bands over the radar site, etc. Best to look at the bigger pictures for trends.

I am afraid with it now moving into more open water, the warmth of the GOM, and the fact that it has full use of the waters energy because no storm has churned up the water at that location yet that we might see a rapidly intensifying hurricane within 1-2 days. Just my observation / prediction.

If the GFS/EURO and the rest of the 00z models tonight do not come within 50-75 miles of agreement on landfall, then things will get ugly if this does eventually hit NOLA. Because i think right now they are playing a cautious waiting game. They will have 1 maybe 2 days to prepare and/or evacuate.

so i guess they were indicating surface pressure?

Most likely. You'd only extrapolate down to the surface if it was recon data or the like. A model would generally print out a minimum surface pressure for you. Now, whether that is right either due to resolution or just a poor forecast is an entirely separate issue....

CU, not to put you on the spot, but what's your take Re: the eventual landfall point? You're one of my top sources here, so I'd like to hear your opinion-- or even some thoughts about it. (Don't worry-- I'm not even gonna ask about intensity. :D)

Split right down the middle between GFS op/ens and ECMWF op/ens right now is the best I can do. Meaning New Orleans metro to the MS coast area. Intensity...I'll give a range of 85-105 kt at landfall, with a peak intensity probably higher than that. On a entirely subjective note...I have a nagging feeling that this is a little low.

Read up on 1812, full moon, slow mover, intensifying. Worst case.

post-1816-0-59941000-1346009132_thumb.jp

“Its initial approach was toward Mississippi, but then it turned northwest toward Louisiana as it approached landfall in the afternoon on Aug. 19,” Mock said. “The USS Enterprise had the most detailed wind observations at New Orleans. A change in winds to the southwest around local midnight tells me that the storm center skimmed as little as five kilometers to the west of New Orleans.”

Split right down the middle between GFS op/ens and ECMWF op/ens right now is the best I can do. Meaning New Orleans metro to the MS coast area. Intensity...I'll give a range of 85-105 kt at landfall, with a peak intensity probably higher than that. On a entirely subjective note...I have a nagging feeling that this is a little low.

OK, thanks-- I appreciate it. So, neither solution at this point is seeming more credible than-- or edging out-- the other?

Archived