• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
TS Isaac Banter Thread

Not sure what I make of NHC's call keeping this a TS for another 30 hours. I think we may have a cat 1 by the 5am update. It's presentation continues to look a bit better as time goes on. Slow strengthening seems to be the most likely scenario and there's new convection along the west side of the circulation.

This is a pretty big circulation though so I would expect a lengthier time for organization but 30 hours seems ultra conservative. NHC is about as good as it gets, does anyone know what they're looking at that indicates why they've gone with this guidance?

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apologies if this has already been mentioned on one of the the Isaac threads, but PNAS published the following article online on August 13th (before print):

Ocean barrier layerseffect on tropical cyclone intensification

The National Geographic reported on the paper:

Hurricanes Get Supercharged by River Mouths

When storms hit less dense patches of freshwater they gain strength.

Hurricanes can get supercharged when they hit river mouths, researchers now find.

[...]

Although the chances that hurricanes will hit regions swamped by freshwater is small at only 10 to 23 percent, the effect can be startlingly large—hurricanes can become up to 50 percent more intense in regions where freshwater pours into the ocean, such as from river systems like the Ganges, or where tropical storms rain considerably, as in the western Pacific Ocean.

"Our study finds that when hurricanes pass over oceans covered by freshwater from rivers, such as the Amazon and Mississippi River, and rain, they can really intensify rapidly," Balaguru said.

Beautiful sunset rapid scan imagery, big convective burst going up. http://www.ssec.wisc.../loop_srso.html

You can tell there's shear since the southern edge of the tower quickly goes from anvil to clear air, but the water is super warm under the storm so lots of energy to work with regardless.

i think that is mostly due to the dry air near Issac and it keeps getting entrained into the circulation killing the convection that tries to form to the south. dry air has been an issue its whole life. unless Issac can close of its circulation, RI is going to be hard to come by. models are seeing something b/c they sure seem to think Issac is going to get rapidly organized. this has been a tough one to forecast

I think one has to admit there are some New Orleans disaster scenarios on the table at the moment. Some of the models show potential for westward component in the track and the storm passing very close to the city (like 1812 that Sultan posted about). I'd be concerned about water coming from a different direction untested direction. One thing that stuck with me from Katrina is that the damage on the ground in the Metro area there was much worse and more widespread than I would have guessed from watching the radar and satellite and nhc advisories.

This isn't the crazy YouTube guy is it? LOL

Nah, he is a pretty level headed guy, who almost never loses his cool over silly things. He is a very calm and content man, a very stand up guy who knows the difference between right and wrong, he is also an expert speller, and he is a great guy to get into a disagreement with because he will nicely tell you why you are wrong and he won't blow up on you with threats against you and/or your family.

Nah, he is a pretty level headed guy, who almost never loses his cool over silly things. He is a very calm and content man, a very stand up guy who knows the difference between right and wrong, he is also an expert speller, and he is a great guy to get into a disagreement with because he will nicely tell you why you are wrong and he won't blow up on you with threats against you and/or your family.

Well he sounds like a good guy! I might just tweet him! :)

:whistle: :whistle: :lol: In a backwards world maybe.

Archived