• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
TS Isaac Banter Thread

I just got a report from a friend of 200(estimated) trucks carrying power polls south along I77 in SC. Dunno their destination though.

It's typical for them to stage at this point. They are probably going to temporary inland location they will be able to access all potential landfall points pretty easily after the storm has moved through. Jackson, MS is as decent a bet as any given what we know.

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, thanks-- I appreciate it. So, neither solution at this point is seeming more credible than-- or edging out-- the other?

Josh, I like the idea of Pascagoula to Keesler AFB, this being a blend of GFS and EURO and respecting Scott's guess.

The 12Z EURO did not buy the strong west trend of the GFS so therefore, a blend makes sense.

Route 10 HWY is your staging ground; I have 2 suggestions.

a. try to find out how you can get advance word of contraflow/road closure/mandatory evac. before the general public finds out.

b. rent an ugly 4 wheel drive like a JEEP with high road clearance. When you rent, take photos so you do not charged for pre-existing dents. Buy a $5 can of Fix-Flat. Go to Home Depot and buy a $10 saw with big teeth to cut through branches. Water and canned food for 3 days. Bug spray. Sun block.

WHats a meet me call?

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1816

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0328 PM CDT SUN AUG 26 2012

AREAS AFFECTED...S FL AND KEYS

CONCERNING...TORNADO WATCH 589...

VALID 262028Z - 262130Z

THE SEVERE WEATHER THREAT FOR TORNADO WATCH 589 CONTINUES.

SUMMARY...SOME THREAT FOR ISOLATED TORNADOES IS EXPECTED TO PERSIST

INTO THE EVENING OVER SRN FL...GENERALLY ALONG AND SOUTH OF LAKE

OKEECHOBEE. OVERALL TORNADO THREAT DOES NOT APPEAR PARTICULARLY

ROBUST AT THIS TIME...BUT CONDITIONS MAY REMAIN AT LEAST MARGINALLY

SUFFICIENT FOR ANOTHER TORNADO WATCH ISSUANCE PRIOR TO EXPIRATION OF

WW 589 AT 21Z. A MEET ME CALL WILL INITIATED SOON TO DISCUSS WHETHER

OR NOT WW 589 WILL NEED TO BE REPLACED.

The article itself isn't all that sensational but the attention grabbing, misleading headline certainly is.

the article is bad enough as well. There are plenty of other storms that can be mentioned without immediately jumping to Katrina. Georges, Gustav.

I understand the need to go there but I think it any Katrina comparison be should clearly defined as "worst case" instead of saying Isaac "should rival" or even "could rival".

His press conference was very weak and talked about preparing to ride out the storm at home. He only has a matter of hours left before mandatory evacuation order will be too late.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was weak. He started it off by referring to it as Hurricane Isaac then attempted to clarify, threw in a quote along the lines of "We don't know if this will be a rain event, a weather event, or an electrical event" (???), and then proceeded to say we are "H-34" from the event, explaining that if the storm continued on its current motion, "it would arrive in 34 hours, or approximately Wednesday morning.". What?

I'm blown away by NHC's 5pm update...not expecting it to become a hurricane for another 36 hours ?

I'd expect it to be one by the 5am advisory. (12 hours) call me a weenie if i'm wrong..

It's moving over very warm waters, near-perfect upper air environment, classic strengthening on satellite .

Feeder bands are increasing nicely so I say near hurricane 70 in 12 and at least 80 in 18.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was weak. He started it off by referring to it as Hurricane Isaac then attempted to clarify, threw in a quote along the lines of "We don't know if this will be a rain event, a weather event, or an electrical event" (???), and then proceeded to say we are "H-34" from the event, explaining that if the storm continued on its current motion, "it would arrive in 34 hours, or approximately Wednesday morning.". What?

Well, Ray Nagin really had no idea what he was doing either. Sounds like they need some better politicians down there.

I'm blown away by NHC's 5pm update...not expecting it to become a hurricane for another 36 hours ?

I'd expect it to be one by the 5am advisory. (12 hours) call me a weenie if i'm wrong..

It's moving over very warm waters, near-perfect upper air environment, classic strengthening on satellite .

The inner core is very poorly organized... the strongest winds are hundreds of miles away from the center. I don't expect any rapid intensification for a little bit.

I'm well aware of the NAM haterz, yet the 18Z very much likes the extreme western FL

panhandle with a brief stall and then a drift into eastern Mississippi after landfall. Could happen.

NAM shows the western Atlantic ridge building west in an unconvincing manner while

the midwest ridge holds its ground; I doubt that the NAM 500 mb pattern is total trash.

Simply put, the NAM 500 mb evolution allows Isaac to continue poleward since the

Atlantic ridge is not extending west as much as was previously thought.

Archived