Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
TS Isaac Banter Thread

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know what Joe Bastardi is saying when he just tweeted "GFS obviously brings back the 15 billion dollar option on this storm. I want to see actual data on psn. The fork in the road is tomorrow" ?!

Probably in regards to the potential for Isaac to become a strong hurricane and approach New Orleans.

I'm replying to this in the banter thread since it's banter.

Two points:

First off, is it a big surprise that Isaac is weaker this afternoon and probably not going to make hurricane before S FL. I mean, I was one of the ones that was trying to minimize people writing off Isaac because of going over Hispaniola, but even I was thinking more about that it wouldn't be so decimated that it couldn't intensify over the Gulf. I don't think any of the models have shown any significant increase in intensity until it gets close to the Keys.

Secondly, I have seen the GFS try to show this major slowing as a storm approaches the northern Gulf Coast more times than I can count. That kind of track rarely occurs, Georges being a notable exception. Not saying it can't or won't happen, I just wouldn't be banking on it as far as upwelling, etc.

It's going to be surprising for Florida residents who are under hurricane warnings and watches, especially since the news is hyping it as usual. Pulling the trigger for the hurricane warnings and watches this morning was a bad choice at this junction IMO, since they could've waited a little more to see what happened with Hispaniola. Now there's a big swath of Florida preparing for a hurricane they'll never get, and that'll make some people stop listening to forecasts, especially newcomers. I hope the NHC pulls down the hurricane advisories this afternoon at the very least to minimize the damage being done.

I'm also starting to think this 36-48 hour system is a terrible idea. In the past hurricane advisories wouldn't have been issued in southern Florida for a storm like this.

It's going to be surprising for Florida residents who are under hurricane warnings and watches, especially since the news is hyping it as usual. Pulling the trigger for the hurricane warnings and watches this morning was a bad choice at this junction IMO, since they could've waited a little more to see what happened with Hispaniola. Now there's a big swath of Florida preparing for a hurricane they'll never get, and that'll make some people stop listening to forecasts, especially newcomers. I hope the NHC pulls down the hurricane advisories this afternoon at the very least to minimize the damage being done.

I'm also starting to think this 36-48 hour system is a terrible idea. In the past hurricane advisories wouldn't have been issued in southern Florida for a storm like this.

I think a lot of the undue focus on FL is because of the stupid convention like it actually means half of what the media has portrayed it as. That's not political.. so no one go there. It's just a 'big' event. Plus there seems to be a general push to overwarn everyone about everything lately. There seems to be reasoning behind it though I'm not sure what it is. I suppose it's close enough but this type of approach does not seem to be the favored one for a significant FL peninsula event overall anyway.

To be fair, I am not so sure that a Cleo- or King-type intensification--after land interaction with Cuba and/or Hispaniola--would be better forecast if they were to occur today. In that case, the NHC would be blamed for failing to indicate the potential. I do not think that the NHC makes a psychological difference as most people in their psyche are heavily induced toward irrationality, whether hype or complacency.

Convection has begun to refire N of the COC. This and getting away from the the mountain should stop additional weakening. Now we see now quickly it moves away from the coast. Recon in the air but unsure if Isaac is too close to the coast to get a fix. Will be able to check the winds in new convection at the very least though.

Convection starting to form over what I presume is the center over water just north of the eastern tip of Cuba. May have some surprises up its sleeve. Sure took a long time to produce a co-located center south of Haiti. Warm bath water in the straits and gulf and lower shear forecasts might be in its favor.

I couldn't disagree more with this post.

:weenie:

IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT THE GLOBAL MODELS ARE

FORECASTING A VERY FAVORABLE PATTERN OF UPPER-LEVEL WINDS OVER THE

NORTHERN GULF OF MEXICO BY 72 HR. SHOULD THIS VERIFY AND SHOULD

ISAAC ESTABLISH AN INNER CORE...THE CYCLONE COULD BE SIGNIFICANTLY

STRONGER THAN CURRENTLY FORECAST.

Saw a weeniecast that said the HWRF shows a Cat 5 hurricane at landfall. They were using winds from aloft. 10m winds from the same model indicate a strong Cat 3, possibly a weak Cat 4 (before frames) near landfall. Winds don't mix down 100%!!!

Saw a weeniecast that said the HWRF shows a Cat 5 hurricane at landfall. They were using winds from aloft. 10m winds from the same model indicate a strong Cat 3, possibly a weak Cat 4 (before frames) near landfall. Winds don't mix down 100%!!!

This is exactly why I never watch weeniecasts. They just don't make sense and I wind up confused the rest of the day.

The storm literally stalls just SE of New Orleans, then drifts right over the city over the course of 24 hours. Tremendous flooding and surge potential if it verifies. If Isaac is a Cat 2-3+, the scenario is the worst possible for NO.

It will be bad there's no doubt. I will say I think the Katrina path is worse though. With an approach from the SE or ESE, the water would not all be forced into Lake Pontchartrain and could escape back into the Gulf. The rainfall would be another matter entirely however.

Archived