Most Online
    bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
TS Isaac Banter Thread

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the actual center is a degree South of the NHC position, reformed under the deeper convection, the mid level center becoming dominant over the Northern center, then the Euro's initial NW motion might not be correct, and everything else the same, the final landfall may be a bit further West in the Northern GOM, and Isaac may also have less interaction w/ Hispaniola than forecast, perhaps crossing the less mountainous Central or Western Cuba. Thus being less disrupted and stronger at final landfall. I don't think MSY is clear from danger yet.

ENE winds around 15.5ºN on HBOB 13

I believe there are two G-IV flights today, and I think there may be a final organized center for tonight's 0Z initialization.

Well kids...

VDM is 120+ NM south west of the last VDM.

A. Time of Center Fix: 24th day of the month at 6:55:40Z

B. Center Fix Coordinates: 15°03'N 69°35'W (15.05N 69.5833W) viewmap.png

B. Center Fix Location: 238 miles (383 km) to the S (175°) from Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

Note also the dropsonde at the VDM point had 25 kt winds from the SW at the surface... which would point more towards the coldest cloud tops. :popcorn:

Edit: Fun Fact: The 6z early cycle initialized 108 miles away from the VDM at heading of 168° (SSE)

(Rant mode because I'm tired and irritated)

I'd love to know where they have been basing these "estimated centers" off of for the past 12 hours.

Recon was close enough to the 6z position and there weren't any wind shifts or anything of the sort to indicate something at the surface even existed.

I understand that they are in a very awkward position now, but you have to adjust at some point to what recon has been showing.

Well when the P-3 left, the vortex was obviously tilted and it wasn't unreasonable to put the sfc center where they put it. When in doubt, go with continuity, because its always less embarising to say "it changed" then to say, "it changed.. wait... oh wait, sorry, we were wrong, it didn't change" Hindsight is always 20/20.

So to get this straight on possible scenarios, if this keeps jogging west, will it just bomb north?

Some forecasters here in Miami have been going with a possible scenario just like this, but I wasn't sure how something like this would play out given how disorganized the storm is.

Just on the outer frame of my forecast output, looked at Key West areas. Seeing forecasted winds around the 26th at 14Z 07037G54MPH, then peaking around the 27th at 00Z 07048G70MPH. Have a zone of the highest winds from 26th at 21Z to 27th at 06Z. Again just my initial look at it, still high degree of variability..

Need some help & I relize this may be premature. I have some intrests in the Western Panhandle that would require me to head down before the storm. I want to delay going as much as possible but don't want to be secureing things outdoors in TS conditions. NHC is currently showing landfall at approx. 2 am Wed. MOB afd calls for conditions to deteriorate Mon. night with TS cond. on Tues. I know this is a large storm in size & landfall is not that important. If the model runs continue to hone in on a North Central Gulf Coast landfall would Sunday be a better time to leave or could I strech it to Mon morning. The work I have to do would be completed in 4 hrs max. Thanks in Advance, Don

It appears that it might be trying to form an eye.

I don't see an eye forming. Nice cirrus outflow, however, the best it has looked. Thinking has a chance to hit the Southern fork of Haiti as a minimal hurricane.

Which is too bad, CNN reporting some people don't know a storm is coming and still living in tent cities.

Anyone think this might become a Charley at all if it misses Haiti?

By track or intensity?

I would say no to either.

wrt intensity, Charley was such a small cane that it was able to intensify quickly right before landfall. If anything, this will probably end up more like an Ike, which due to its large size did not strengthen much after Cuba.

By track or intensity?

I would say no to either.

wrt intensity, Charley was such a small cane that it was able to intensify quickly right before landfall. If anything, this will probably end up more like an Ike, which due to its large size did not strengthen much after Cuba.

yea i can see that happening. interested to see what the 12z models show after this rapid intensification.

I don't get how it keeps its strength up while cutting across the bottom tip of FL...

It's basically a big swamp...storms have maintained intensity while crossing there (I think Katrina may have even gained a little while it crossed iirc).

I guess the silver lining to the run of riding the entire W coast of Florida is that it can't strengthen much that close to land so it will probably just be a TS and mostly a rain event.

It's basically a big swamp...storms have maintained intensity while crossing there (I think Katrina may have even gained a little while it crossed iirc).

Thanks, makes sense.

Although - by that logic, storms should also intensify over DC... Just sayin'....

I guess the silver lining to the run of riding the entire W coast of Florida is that it can't strengthen much that close to land so it will probably just be a TS and mostly a rain event.

Wilma is a great example of one that maintained intesity in the swamp

Archived