Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
TS Isaac Banter Thread

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Storms don't maintain their intensity from going over swamps, or the Everglades. That may merely slow down the rate of weakening, due to less friction and perhaps a tiny amount of latent heat.

Wilma maintained strength because it had a large eye, and because it had a powerful outflow channel to the northeast from a trough that was approaching it. Katrina was on a strengthening trend when it made its first landfall, and stayed near the coast during its passage.

Storms don't maintain their intensity from going over swamps, or the Everglades. That may merely slow down the rate of weakening, due to less friction and perhaps a tiny amount of latent heat.

Wilma maintained strength because it had a large eye, and because it had a powerful outflow channel to the northeast from a trough that was approaching it. Katrina was on a strengthening trend when it made its first landfall, and stayed near the coast during its passage.

Spot on, that outflow channel supercharged Wilma and threw forecasters a loop. Wilma pretty much kept intensifying across Florida and the Gulf Stream, really whacked the Bahamas. Damage reports on the east coast seemed to be worse than the west coast, even considering population difference. I'm sure the swamp helped a little as it always does, just not the main reason.

Spot on, that outflow channel supercharged Wilma and threw forecasters a loop. Wilma pretty much kept intensifying across Florida and the Gulf Stream, really whacked the Bahamas. Damage reports on the east coast seemed to be worse than the west coast, even considering population difference. I'm sure the swamp helped a little as it always does, just not the main reason.

NHC report best track has the storm weaker over south Florida than it does for it's data point near west coast landfall and as it went back over open water on the east.

I will never forget when I was in Hurricane Charley and 24hrs before it TS Bonnie. TS Isaac might not be as big as Charley but I would not let any guard down on it's size at the moment. If Isaac makes into the Gulf like it is suppose to at the moment, then RI could post a major problem. The Gulf waters at the moment are

extremely warm at the surface and most

important, the waters is real warm deep. I was in

Punta Gorda when Charley hit and I rode the

bad boy out. Charley is one of the biggest factors to why I am in college pursuing to become a Meteorologist!!!! Do not put your guard down on Isaac!!!

I don't see how this is significant. It's about to go into the blender.

At this point, it would actually be better if it doesn't have this cute little "core"-- a loose circulation would have a better chance.

Said Blender for the cute little core looks like it may end up being a 25 mile journey over land with no more than a 750 meter elevation.

Might be a good time to take a 24 hour break from the storm. Will be traveling over Haiti/Cuba and I imagine lots of :axe: :axe: until he can get back into open waters. Didn't do too bad today, but a shame Haiti will likely be devastated again.

My feelings exactly. I'm so over this storm for right now. I hate myself for tracking it as closely as I have-- feel like such a sucker.

The center should be over hati for what 2 hrs? How will that disrupt it that much?

There will still be some disruption, even with the center over land only for a short period of time, there are mountains on land that still really mess with the circulation due to downsloping, etc. Plus it still has to cross Cuba. Eastern tip of Cuba has some mountains as well.

Actually while the IR presentation looks badly, it gives me hopes with the improved, more round structure as well as the small blowups of convection right near the centre.

Yeah I agree it definitely looks more organized and ready to go then before. Diurnal max tonight could be the best we've seen Isaac yet.

Archived