joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 9-20 2012 Obs and Discussion

mattmfm

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there were a record for most severe thunderstorm warnings issued for D.C., it probably would be approaching it this year.

I guess they have to when it's close enough that some random strengthening or downburst could push it there. it does seem that things get warned here that arent warned west when they look as good or better west. But warning fatigue is an issue... warning just to warn is bad practice imo. And it does happen... partially because it helps lead time statistics.

Walked up to Fort Reno to watch it come in. The outflow breeze certainly felt nice. A lot of lightning but not much in the way of visible ground strokes. Backlit the clouds, which looked pretty cool. I like these thunderstorms that take a long time in gettng here and, once they arrive, don't pummel the power grid. If I go another decade without seeing 70 MPH winds and losing power for 80 hours while temperatures flirt with 100 , I won't complain.

1.03" of rain in the first 16 minutes of the storm, at 1.21" now here in Clarksburg. Not a very windy storm with winds under 10mph for the duration except for an initial and very brief gust of 57mph at onset. Very active lightning producer with a bolt hitting a tree or pole within 50m of the house as the storm was winding down. I'll do a quick survey in the morning to see what it hit. Took out phone, cable and Internet (2 different services) so I'm guessing it was the telephone pole at the end of the driveway...

Looks like a hell of a storm for DC proper. Some nice rain in old town, most of the lightning is north of here. Flashes of light constantly, but not much thunder. Miss my old 6th floor apt looking west of Rock Creek Park right now. Views were unreal for these types of storms.

Archived