EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
July 9-20 2012 Obs and Discussion

mattmfm

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one noteworthy thing from when that line got to my neighborhood around 10:45 was one solitary cloud to ground lightning strike that was about 30 yards or so from my house, as near as I can guess. Felt it, then whole world went white for a split second. Scared the crap out of me...and it woke the kids up. I think there is something primal that humans must respond to about being that close to a lightning strike. Checked the trees this morning, they are okay in my yard, so that's good.

How's it looking for today? Morning news said heavy rain with storms... My office is set to go to Artscape for lunch today

Short of repeating what LWX said this morning and how radar looks as of now I'd say things will be good until early afternoon. The FFW doesn't start until noon, right?

Short of repeating what LWX said this morning and how radar looks as of now I'd say things will be good until early afternoon. The FFW doesn't start until noon, right?

Yup noon until tonight. I'll just have to keep an eye on the radar

1.45 here at my Boyce home last evening, mostly in 45 minutes.

Only .05 out at my WV place, it has been in a dry hole this month with only 1.12 for the month out there, still very good for the year.

With all the drought area's in the country happy to be in the wet area to avoid endless watering.

Awesome summer for my new garden and landscaping here in Boyce.

The weather station around the corner from me reported 0.27". More than I thought, to be honest. Then again, I went to bed just as that last cell consolidated on the backside.

I had almost as much from the stratiform rain behind the cells as with the line itself. Hopefully we can do well today. Need a couple of soakers for all of us not in downtown DC.

1.45 here at my Boyce home last evening, mostly in 45 minutes.

Only .05 out at my WV place, it has been in a dry hole this month with only 1.12 for the month out there, still very good for the year.

With all the drought area's in the country happy to be in the wet area to avoid endless watering.

Awesome summer for my new garden and landscaping here in Boyce.

Same here. I've probably seen 2X the amount of t-storms since 6/30 than the last 2 summers combined. Amount of rain hasn't been overly impressive by any means (except for last night), but the periodic storms have kept the grass green and provided occassional breaks from the heat. The last 2 summers my grass has been straw by the beginning of July.

I had almost as much from the stratiform rain behind the cells as with the line itself. Hopefully we can do well today. Need a couple of soakers for all of us not in downtown DC.

Yeah - we didn't get more than a few drops from the main line. It started to fill in on the south side, but didn't completely fill until it was past us.

Another 1" or so over the next 24-36 hours would be nice.

evidently the storm brought a bunch of trees down between WV and the DC suburbs as the MARC Brunswick line is only running 1 Martinsburg train and 1 Brunswick-originating train this morning. I don't remember the storm last night being particularly windy out here.

It wasn't particularly but there was a pretty good front-end thump. 57mph gust at my house at onset but dropped to ~10mph for the duration after 10-15 seconds. It brought down a big 'ole dead tulip popular on my property.

Archived