joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 9-20 2012 Obs and Discussion

mattmfm

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recorded this video earlier as that MCS that was falling apart made its way towards SW Va. This was just before the outflow hit. (Notice the clouds moving at a good clip at the top of the video frame) It was much stronger than I expected and caused people to make a dash for their cars. I enjoyed it, though. ^_^

Wait... if a storm has mesoscale circulation/rotation it does not mean a tornado? GENIUS!

cant help but wonder if it came thru late afternoon.. and with more shear. ;) sorta crappy looking version of june 08.

Agreed Ian. Pretty good storm overall. Anybody know why storms like this have lighning on the backside that is not accompanied by thunder?

Backside anvil lightning too far away and/or thunder just bounces off of the topside of the inversion created by the cold pool? That's my best guess.

Agreed Ian. Pretty good storm overall. Anybody know why storms like this have lighning on the backside that is not accompanied by thunder?

not sure.. wxmeddler's guess is as good as any. primary types in stratiform rain behind an mcs type squall are anvil crawlers and positive strikes. the anvil crawlers tend to have a more diffuse sound overall. the positive strikes are usually fairly close behind the squall i think tho also scattered behind.. becomes more anvil stuff after.

Archived