Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
July 9-20 2012 Obs and Discussion

mattmfm

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen less than 6" of snow since 2/11/10. Waaaaaaaa! (that should do it)

LWX ARW and NMM look pretty good today. HRRR is less impressive. NAM is pretty lame through 11 hrs.

Mountains really eating up the incoming stuff from the West...precip totals will be light unless things blow up

Very pretty vort:

https://public.blu.l...bookend bow.gif

Ended up with 1.34" in Clarksburg. Nice, soaking 0.31" in 1h15m after the initial 1.03" in 16 minutes.

I don't recall ever seeing such a thing before. What is the cause of one of these? Does it have an official name? Is it associated with any certain type of severe weather?

09z LWX WRF-ARX is still stormy (below). 12z NAM keeps most of the precip south. HRRR might be the most realistic, bringing the batch of lighter precip from WV over the DC area mid-day, effectively killing off any instability, then having storms blow up over the Blue Ridge, but staying out there and south.

post-1746-0-69861600-1342793915_thumb.gi

another whiff from the wrf for here...lol

I don't recall ever seeing such a thing before. What is the cause of one of these? Does it have an official name? Is it associated with any certain type of severe weather?

It's called a bookend vortex, discussed a little earlier in the thread. Vortices are created by the faster (relative) windsperd rear-inflow jet in a bow echo segment. Here's a small primer just below the first figure:

http://www2.ucar.edu/news/backgrounders/thunderstorm-glossary

09z LWX WRF-ARX is still stormy (below). 12z NAM keeps most of the precip south. HRRR might be the most realistic, bringing the batch of lighter precip from WV over the DC area mid-day, effectively killing off any instability, then having storms blow up over the Blue Ridge, but staying out there and south.

post-1746-0-69861600-1342793915_thumb.gi

Fringed.

Maybe I need to start complaining like Wes. Then again, he commands a little more respect from the weather gods than I do.

The LWX FFW effectively killed our chances :P

if we get storms/widesperad activity i could see it coming to pass flooding wise but im just not sure we'll get a lot of activity. getting midday showers isn't usually helpful for the stormiest scenario. i'll wait to see the 12z gfs before writing it off.

gfs is still pretty wet. i want to say it might handle a situation like this a bit better than the nam tho with the other dry models who knows. im not going full meh yet.

My report to AKQ as I'm in OCMD this week.

From Thursday, July 19 (Spotter: BL021) 

Storm that hit Ocean City, MD which began around 2:45 through a cell which rapidly developed west of town in Berlin shortly priorat 2:30

The cell continuously underwent backbuilding and re-intensified, with the worst of the weather coming after 4:30 PM, where Special Weather Statements were issued. A friend of mine called in a report yesterday, and I can verify the damage report. There were hundreds of trash cans knocked over on the beach, and the cell brought trashcans from further away then the beach tossing them into the Ocean. The special weather statement added rotation was detected, and judging by the scattering of trash and even lifeguard chairs being knocked over an down into the waves, this storm displayed severe winds. Located near Marty's playland on Worcester street, the winds unexpectedly came in from the south and quickly exceeded 50mph, with gusts sustaining themselves. A handheld anemometer reading of 64mph was collected, and is at least partially supported by the 55mph gust at the NWS Ocean City Inlet station on wunderground. Damage photos will be sent in a supplemental e-mail, but this looked to be a either a gustnado, or a microburst. Either way, the storm was certainly deserving of a severe thunderstorm warning, but judging by radar signatures, I can see why one was maybe not issued. 

I sent pictures also, I've never seen so much trash on the beach, I also added to them: There were tents ripped apart, chairs broken, and wood sheared apart like in the final picture. I've never seen so much trash and debris laying around, but it is certainly sensible considering the beach rules that people must leave their belongings only to return for them once the beach is safe from storms.

Archived