joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
**New England** summer picture/scenery thread

free_man

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had some nice skies at the homestead this morning just out ahead of a swath of clouds with some much needed showers therein. It was muggy this morning but temps were comfortably in the low/mid 60s. The humidity and scraps of fog always give such a nice sense of depth and layering to the landscape.

Looking ESE down our local valley toward the Connecticut River and NH beyond:

7590351270_ff0de17b0a_c.jpg

And more due east this time across the field with 4810' Mt. Moosilauke in the distance:

7590351738_08ec2180fe_c.jpg

Hiked the Baldface Loop this morning. At the trailhead before it was light enough to see and did not bring my headlamp, so had to chillax for 15 minutes. When doing my research on this trail, it was often mentioned that the granite slabs that lead to the false summit on the south peak are very technically demanding. True story! Not sure if I'd attempt it in wet conditions ... fortunately today was dry!

post-254-0-19732600-1343504752_thumb.jpg

After successfully scaling these slabs, it was on to the task of rock climbing. Lots of hand-gripping required to make it over the granite outcroppings. This went on until the false summit was reached.

post-254-0-92634500-1343504782_thumb.jpg

Nearing the summit of South Baldface, elevation just shy of 3,600'. This shot is looking back down towards the false summit. Look at all the open views!

post-254-0-95286500-1343504813_thumb.jpg

This shot is taken on the summit of North Baldface, looking back towards South Baldface in the center and the false summit on the left. The distance between the two summits is 1.2 miles, much of which is, again, open air.

post-254-0-15893700-1343504838_thumb.jpg

After leaving North Baldface, the trail leads yet again to more open-air sections and spectacular views from rocky cliffs.

post-254-0-62156200-1343504878_thumb.jpg

My battery ran out at this point - think I snapped 130 pics. lol The trail continues down to the trailhead, but I opted to detour onto another trail - the Meader Ridge trail - which extended the hike length by two miles. All told, over 12 miles put on the boots today. Highly recommend this hike.

Thanks for the shots Eric. If I can get up there, we'll have to hook up for a hike. The Baldface loop is a top 10 hike. Nice job.

Thanks! Hooking up for some climbing sounds great. Think next week I'll tackle one of NHs 48 4000' peaks and then in two weeks take on Mount Washington, which I've heard is not a terribly difficult hike but it is on my bucket list so gotta take care o' business.

Thanks! Hooking up for some climbing sounds great. Think next week I'll tackle one of NHs 48 4000' peaks and then in two weeks take on Mount Washington, which I've heard is not a terribly difficult hike but it is on my bucket list so gotta take care o' business.

You just hiked one of the more difficult hikes you'll find. Technical and long. You can do any of the 4000s. Maybe try some of the southern 4000s? Passaconaway/Whiteface?

I need to get myself back in shape. I've not been good to myself over the last couple years.

Let me add that there is nothing better than feeling on top of the world after climbing above treeline. It's liberating.

You just hiked one of the more difficult hikes you'll find. Technical and long. You can do any of the 4000s. Maybe try some of the southern 4000s? Passaconaway/Whiteface?

I need to get myself back in shape. I've not been good to myself over the last couple years.

Let me add that there is nothing better than feeling on top of the world after climbing above treeline. It's liberating.

Absolutely agree about above treeline. When I drove up Mount Washington I was amazed with the changing flora and it was right then that I knew I needed to hike it. Quite an addiction - I feel bad about putting my kayak in mothballs but it is such a feeling of satisfaction to reach the peak.

Thanks for the suggestion for next week - I'll certainly research it. :)

Hiked the Baldface Loop this morning. At the trailhead before it was light enough to see and did not bring my headlamp, so had to chillax for 15 minutes. When doing my research on this trail, it was often mentioned that the granite slabs that lead to the false summit on the south peak are very technically demanding. True story! Not sure if I'd attempt it in wet conditions ... fortunately today was dry!

post-254-0-19732600-1343504752_thumb.jpg

After successfully scaling these slabs, it was on to the task of rock climbing. Lots of hand-gripping required to make it over the granite outcroppings. This went on until the false summit was reached.

post-254-0-92634500-1343504782_thumb.jpg

Nearing the summit of South Baldface, elevation just shy of 3,600'. This shot is looking back down towards the false summit. Look at all the open views!

post-254-0-95286500-1343504813_thumb.jpg

This shot is taken on the summit of North Baldface, looking back towards South Baldface in the center and the false summit on the left. The distance between the two summits is 1.2 miles, much of which is, again, open air.

post-254-0-15893700-1343504838_thumb.jpg

After leaving North Baldface, the trail leads yet again to more open-air sections and spectacular views from rocky cliffs.

post-254-0-62156200-1343504878_thumb.jpg

My battery ran out at this point - think I snapped 130 pics. lol The trail continues down to the trailhead, but I opted to detour onto another trail - the Meader Ridge trail - which extended the hike length by two miles. All told, over 12 miles put on the boots today. Highly recommend this hike.

Nice pics, Eric. You're getting ingood shape this summer.

Excellent pics! I've been up the southerly Mahoosucs, Fulling Mill, Goose-eye, etc but never on the Baldpates. A number of years back, two coworkers climbed Baldpate in early November. NOT recommended unless one has crampons available, which they didn't. Going up was difficult; coming back down was terrifying.

Awesome pics and I miss the NE mountains! Definitely pick up a pair of Microspikes or equivalent for those shoulder seasons. The Baldpates are tricky enough without ice- can definitely see how coming down would be hairy with no traction! I use them out here in CO for above treeline with non-serious ice and snow- the CO natives with me are astounded at how well they work- somehow they have not yet caught on here. Can wear them with any boots and ball them up and put in your pocket when you don't need them.

went to a beach wedding in Newport, RI last night. The rain almost held off til the end, and once it stopped it turned into a wonderful summer night. Wonderful summer nights create smiles like this.

561344_282255331881828_890891083_n.jpg

EDIT: Sorry for the creepily large picture. lol

Nice pic Chris!

Archived