joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
**New England** summer picture/scenery thread

free_man

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering I spend more time up there, it's a shame if I don't do it. Plus like you said...it's an easy drive for the most part where you are.

I've always wondered what the views were like from Shaw Mountain, since I've spent so much time on the beach on Moultonborough Neck looking up at it.

I've always wondered what the views were like from Shaw Mountain, since I've spent so much time on the beach on Moultonborough Neck looking up at it.

Yeah I imagine the Ossipees must have great views. I heard Red Hill has a great view. It's only a 2K summit, but a decent hike I heard. It's also got one of the few deposits of a mineral called Nepheline-Sodalite. It actually glows in a black light....for those geology buffs.

Yeah I imagine the Ossipees must have great views. I heard Red Hill has a great view. It's only a 2K summit, but a decent hike I heard. It's also got one of the few deposits of a mineral called Nepheline-Sodalite. It actually glows in a black light....for those geology buffs.

That's what I've figured, somewhere up there must have some fantastic vistas of Winnipesaukee.

Hiked Mt Washington today. Pretty decent weather in terms of temp (46° at summit) and wind (around 10mph). However, the summit and adjacent areas were in and out of clouds in the morning. I did get some nice shots before the hvy hvy fog.

This first one is of a set of falls on the Ammonoosuc River, in the alpine zone. The fog created a neat effect. One of the awesome characteristics of this trail is that it parallels this river almost its entire length. Many falls and pools to enjoy.

post-254-0-23266300-1345323100_thumb.jpg

This second one is taken from Mt Monroe. The Lakes of the Clouds hut is on the left, with the Lakes of the Clouds to the right. That is Mt Washington looming in the background, 1.4 miles from the hut.

post-254-0-47372300-1345323121_thumb.jpg

This third pic is taken from the second summit of Mt Monroe. Oakes Gulf is the name of the ravine to the left. I believe that is Mt Franklin on the right. I'd have liked to continue on that path but had Washington on my itinerary. Definitely on the to-do list. Above treeline is where it's at.

post-254-0-19674500-1345323147_thumb.jpg

Also met up with Diane and a person who shall not be named and had a nice talk for 30 minutes or so. Hopefully they got summit pics.

Thanks! I was actually thinking of powderfreak when I was looking at the valley fog ... undercast as he likes to call it. I was initially bummed about the conditions, but in the end I think it may have even enhanced some of them.

Yeah that photo is awesome dude! And haha, that was the first thing I thought of when I saw that photo... "undercast skies" :) I don't know why but that's one of my favorite "view" when you get the islands in the sky as the peaks and terrain pokes above the cloud deck.

I love that shot though... the Whites definitely have a "sharper" look than a lot of the Greens. Really impressive mountains that I don't get out there much except for a spring time ski trip to MWN each season. And I really enjoy that you are getting out there taking shots of your adventures... as Winni said, you're really giving me a run for my money ;)

Keep that camera ready for the epic winter enroute.

I'm adding that one to my growing list.

Not a bad WFO to work out of for that.

You guys and the folks at BTV work at two of the best WFO in my opinion :) I've talked with a few of the BTV guys about skiing and know some of them are into backcountry skiing. If you like outdoor recreation, BTV and GYX are hard to beat. Within an hour of the BTV WFO you can get to 5 ski areas, and several 4,000ft+ peaks. What's funny is a lot of the BTV folks know where the best upslope snow falls, and there's like 3 or 4 of them that live right along the western slope of the Greens, so during the upslope events we can get some reliable reports out of that area. But I don't think its by chance that a bunch of NWS employees live near some of the snowiest areas in New England on the west side of the Spine in Chittenden County, haha.

You guys and the folks at BTV work at two of the best WFO in my opinion :) I've talked with a few of the BTV guys about skiing and know some of them are into backcountry skiing. If you like outdoor recreation, BTV and GYX are hard to beat. Within an hour of the BTV WFO you can get to 5 ski areas, and several 4,000ft+ peaks. What's funny is a lot of the BTV folks know where the best upslope snow falls, and there's like 3 or 4 of them that live right along the western slope of the Greens, so during the upslope events we can get some reliable reports out of that area. But I don't think its by chance that a bunch of NWS employees live near some of the snowiest areas in New England on the west side of the Spine in Chittenden County, haha.

I guess if there were a downfall, that area warms more frequently than an area like where Stowe is. Downfall is a term used loosely, but you know what I mean.....how does that area do for retention?

I guess if there were a downfall, that area warms more frequently than an area like where Stowe is. Downfall is a term used loosely, but you know what I mean.....how does that area do for retention?

It doesn't do well at all for retention... SWFE will torch them while the east side in Stowe holds the surface cold. It could be 34F and raining in Underhill/Nashville on the west slope, and snowing or sleeting at 25F on the east side in Stowe. They also get shafted in SE or E flow events... like the Thanksgiving storm last winter was a good example. You can see the 1.1 and 2.1 are where two NWS employees live (N. Underhill and Nashville) which is from downsloping on easterly flow at H85, while the east side of the mountain got 6-9".

However, in the upslope events they'll clean up.

We don't get shut out on the east side, but the distribution is usually pretty similar to this event, with the west side getting the jackpot (20-24" in this case) while we get a little less (like 15" or so):

But you have to remember commute time so if they can live in Chittenden County and work at BTV, where are you going to live? The spot that gets 30" or near the WFO which gets 5"? Note the difference between where these guys live and the snowfall that the ASOS near the office got, lol.

Nice Eric.

Nice that you hit up Monroe. Short jaunt from The Lakes. That is Franklin next up along the ridge. Must have been fun hiking in the fog above treeline.

The fog was mostly between the hut and the Great Gulf. Since I was at the summit on a clear day two months ago, I wasn't too heartbroken about the lack of views from the top. Would've liked views in other areas - I had the fog experience last week. Looking forward to more above treeline hikes.

Great shots everyone. Always good to see folks getting out and about.

I haven't taken as many photos lately as I often do, but we went to a pretty cool party last weekend on a wide open 2200' hill top right up the road from our place. Not too shabby:

7776325600_8947cc16cf_z.jpg

7776326206_2e909b2ef4_z.jpg

That looks awesome. Let me know next time....lol.

Hiked Mt Washington today. Pretty decent weather in terms of temp (46° at summit) and wind (around 10mph). However, the summit and adjacent areas were in and out of clouds in the morning. I did get some nice shots before the hvy hvy fog.

This first one is of a set of falls on the Ammonoosuc River, in the alpine zone. The fog created a neat effect. One of the awesome characteristics of this trail is that it parallels this river almost its entire length. Many falls and pools to enjoy.

post-254-0-23266300-1345323100_thumb.jpg

This second one is taken from Mt Monroe. The Lakes of the Clouds hut is on the left, with the Lakes of the Clouds to the right. That is Mt Washington looming in the background, 1.4 miles from the hut.

post-254-0-47372300-1345323121_thumb.jpg

This third pic is taken from the second summit of Mt Monroe. Oakes Gulf is the name of the ravine to the left. I believe that is Mt Franklin on the right. I'd have liked to continue on that path but had Washington on my itinerary. Definitely on the to-do list. Above treeline is where it's at.

post-254-0-19674500-1345323147_thumb.jpg

Also met up with Diane and a person who shall not be named and had a nice talk for 30 minutes or so. Hopefully they got summit pics.

LOL! yes, hubbDave, you are correct :) No, Scott...Srain lives in TX, much too far for a day trip...

anyway, the summit cleared for about 25mins...after Eric got back to his car...while I was still on the trail trying to reach the summit but it was back in the clouds again when i finally got there...and there was a freaking long-ass line of auto and train people wating to get their pics taken at the summit sign...so i just walked over there cut infront of everyone and took a pic of the sign and the usgs marker...i do not feel guilty at all...

Archived