joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
**New England** summer picture/scenery thread

free_man

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice pics Chris. Great having swimming holes everywhere. Jesus dude, how did you manage to let a board get away from you? Can't fook around when it comes to high amp power tools.

I'm always cautious and left of blade but I was doing a cut on a cutting board size piece of wood and wanted to make sure it was a super clean cut, I thought I had cleared the blade and lifted my hand to soon. Thing came off like a missile.

Good reminder though that the blade isn't the only thing that can get you. When cutting make sure no one else is nearby because you could seriously injure an innocent bystander.

Nice shots everyone. Happy Valley--ouch, man. I hate table saws but they sure come in handy. Could've been worse, I guess. An old boss of mine only had half a thumb on his right hand...

Anyway, I haven't taken nearly as many photos recently as I normally do but here are a few:

A rare roadside stand of showy lady slippers just a few miles from our place:

5878074194_a81648df24_z.jpg

Hot air balloon off in the distance, as seen from the house;

7468046548_115c970e51_z.jpg

And a dunk in a cool brook on one of the hot days:

7468045526_b28638aaf4_z.jpg

Nice shots everyone. Happy Valley--ouch, man. I hate table saws but they sure come in handy. Could've been worse, I guess. An old boss of mine only had half a thumb on his right hand...

Anyway, I haven't taken nearly as many photos recently as I normally do but here are a few:

Wow, never seen more than one blossom at a time open on a clump. Very impressive. I never thought to try these in my garden but it'll have to go on my list now.

Wow, never seen more than one blossom at a time open on a clump. Very impressive. I never thought to try these in my garden but it'll have to go on my list now.

Yeah, it's quite a patch and the weird thing is that it's right along the roadside. In my experience, they're usually found in calcareous fens way out in the puckerbrush somewhere. We do have some pretty sweet spots, pH-wise, around here so maybe that spot is just that. Judging by how big it is, I gather it's been there a while but I never noticed it till two summers ago.

I didn't know that they were available for sale, but here's a place in CT:

http://www.gardensat...ypripedium.html

A couple pics from my hike up Pleasant Mountain. First one overlooks a portion of Moose Pond

post-254-0-78449200-1341444727_thumb.jpg

This second one is from the summit looking northwest towards the White Mountains. Unfortunately there was a severe thunderstorm underway at that time, so visibility was low. Pretty sure there's supposed to be mountains in this shot! Oh, well, I'll climb this rock again.

post-254-0-57783200-1341444757_thumb.jpg

Great Pics Eric !!! You've been getting out in it a lot this year. Congrats!

Saturdays and certain holidays are my free time, so I've taken it upon myself to get up close and personal with the beauty of the region. People come here to vacation, and I have the fortune of living here. Been paddling since last year, started hiking just today and this winter I plan to take up snowshoeing. I'm a believer in your GoGoGo mantra.

Saturdays and certain holidays are my free time, so I've taken it upon myself to get up close and personal with the beauty of the region. People come here to vacation, and I have the fortune of living here. Been paddling since last year, started hiking just today and this winter I plan to take up snowshoeing. I'm a believer in your GoGoGo mantra.

Awesome. Life is short and there'll be plenty of time to sleep when you die. Getting out in the natural environment is very centering. It's good for the soul. Keep the pics coming.

I'm introducing my daughter(s) and wife to the game of golf. (the 11 month old is to young for the driver but hope to get her on skis this Winter)lol The driving range at the Worthington Golf club is a great place to teach beginners. You almost always have the place to yourself and it's a mellow place to hang out. The ladies both striped a couple and now they're hooked.

Ahhhh, Vermont.

Hot air balloon off in the distance, as seen from the house;

7468046548_115c970e51_z.jpg

And a dunk in a cool brook on one of the hot days:

7468045526_b28638aaf4_z.jpg

A couple pics from my hike up Pleasant Mountain. First one overlooks a portion of Moose Pond

This second one is from the summit looking northwest towards the White Mountains. Unfortunately there was a severe thunderstorm underway at that time, so visibility was low. Pretty sure there's supposed to be mountains in this shot! Oh, well, I'll climb this rock again.

Nice Eric. Love Moose Pond. My family has deep roots in Denmark, They basically owned the whole end of the Pond in Denmark. I hope you found the hike enjoyable. If you are looking for a little longer hike, come up from the Denmark end. The Southwest Tr is a nice hike. I hope the bugs weren't too bad. I've been hearing the state birds have been out in droves this year. There are nice views from the top to the NW. Mount Washington, Baldfaces, Wildcats to name a view.

Nice Eric. Love Moose Pond. My family has deep roots in Denmark, They basically owned the whole end of the Pond in Denmark. I hope you found the hike enjoyable. If you are looking for a little longer hike, come up from the Denmark end. The Southwest Tr is a nice hike. I hope the bugs weren't too bad. I've been hearing the state birds have been out in droves this year. There are nice views from the top to the NW. Mount Washington, Baldfaces, Wildcats to name a view.

Yeah, fun hike - lots of scenic vistas. Had to move along because I knew the weather might be iffy, which was confirmed by the low rumbles upon reaching the summit. Mosquitoes weren't too bad and the blueberries were ripe. Thanks for the longer trail trip, I'll do that one next time I'm there. Thinking I'll hike Kearsarge North on Saturday.

Yeah, fun hike - lots of scenic vistas. Had to move along because I knew the weather might be iffy, which was confirmed by the low rumbles upon reaching the summit. Mosquitoes weren't too bad and the blueberries were ripe. Thanks for the longer trail trip, I'll do that one next time I'm there. Thinking I'll hike Kearsarge North on Saturday.

Kearsarge is deceivingly difficult. If I recall, it's like a 3 mile straight shot up about 2,600'.

Kearsarge is deceivingly difficult. If I recall, it's like a 3 mile straight shot up about 2,600'.

Yeah, that's about right. I wanted to up the ante with a longer, more strenuous hike and more elevation gain. A hiker friend of mine suggested the Baldface Loop but from what I read about that trail I might want to do a couple more intermediates.

Yeah, that's about right. I wanted to up the ante with a longer, more strenuous hike and more elevation gain. A hiker friend of mine suggested the Baldface Loop but from what I read about that trail I might want to do a couple more intermediates.

Baldface loop is on my list of to do's. Supposedly outside of the Presi's, it has some of the nicest views.

Baldface loop is on my list of to do's. Supposedly outside of the Presi's, it has some of the nicest views.

The Wright Trail in the Mahoosucs goes up to Goose Eye from the east - see Maine DeLorme map 18, extreme SW corner, access off the Sunday River Road. Unfortunately the north loop is closed (the hundreds of wooden steps in the soft/steep-soil portions are in disrepair), but the south loop has multiple balds with great views NE around to SW, plus the 360s at Goose Eye summit. About 2,500' elev gain in 3.5 miles. Near the trailhead parking lot, Goose Eye Brook has a 100-yd flume for water fun, and for deeper pools, go back south a mile to Frenchman's Hole on the Bull Branch of Sunday R. Picnic tables and a privy there.

Nice Eric! Looks like you took a pic N of the Presi's? Tough to tell with the haze.

Actually to the south. Between Washington and Chocorua. Just hit the summit again after walking down the Weeks Brook Trail and hiking back up. Hiked 10 miles so far ... man, am I tuckered out! A shame about the haze - need to do this in autumn.

Archived