joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
**New England** summer picture/scenery thread

free_man

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice, man! What were the winds? And how many carloads of people were wearing t-shirts and shorts?

Gusting to 50mph. Not sure if I can attach a quicktime video. But, if it works, this is from 4700(?) just below the clouds. It was beautiful down in the valley and had a nice stop (along with cars in both directions) to watch a moose at about 2500'.

Enough shorts that I was extra glad I brought my shawl.

EDIT: says the video's too large. Too bad.

Gusting to 50mph. Not sure if I can attach a quicktime video. But, if it works, this is from 4700(?) just below the clouds. It was beautiful down in the valley and had a nice stop (along with cars in both directions) to watch a moose at about 2500'.

Enough shorts that I was extra glad I brought my shawl.

EDIT: says the video's too large. Too bad.

Well, glad you had a nice day for your trip - it's quite a gamble. BTW, I did not take my pic with the summit marker ... gonna wait til I hike it.

Well, glad you had a nice day for your trip - it's quite a gamble. BTW, I did not take my pic with the summit marker ... gonna wait til I hike it.

Highlight of the trip (for me). I'll hike it one of these days--tough to get up there with my 7-year old.

Let me try posting the video as a zip...

Nope--that doesn't work either.

Started off today intending to hike the longer (5.1 mile vs 3.1 mile) and lesser used trail at Mt Kearsarge North. Unfortunately a logging operation had taken over the parking area, so I wound up going to the shorter trail anyway. The trail was benign at first - a nice jaunt through the woods. Soon after the path was nothing but granite slabs. To add to the interest these slabs were wet, so caution was advised. Even so, I took a spill. After a couple thousand feet of hard rock, the trail became filled with large boulders and many places where grabbing a tree trunk provided the only means of ascent.

That last half mile of trail was quite technically challenging

but soon enough the summit was within reach.

post-254-0-01895000-1341708624_thumb.jpg

At the summit, 360° views await. There is an inactive glass-enclosed fire tower where you can enter your name in a log book. I was the first of the day. It was cloudy and hazy at first, but then the sun did make an appearance, which enhanced the view considerably.

post-254-0-74001500-1341708649_thumb.jpg

From the fire tower, I could see a pond that the longer trail passes. Having made the summit in 1 hr 40min I had ample time to do some exploring. So I trekked down the other trail to the pond, which was about three miles distant. Then I had to do a second ascent. What a killer! Rest breaks every 100 yards or so. Gallons of sweat ... heart rate approaching record levels. Finally made it back up, a satisfied hiker

Started off today intending to hike the longer (5.1 mile vs 3.1 mile) and lesser used trail at Mt Kearsarge North. Unfortunately a logging operation had taken over the parking area, so I wound up going to the shorter trail anyway. The trail was benign at first - a nice jaunt through the woods. Soon after the path was nothing but granite slabs. To add to the interest these slabs were wet, so caution was advised. Even so, I took a spill. After a couple thousand feet of hard rock, the trail became filled with large boulders and many places where grabbing a tree trunk provided the only means of ascent.

That last half mile of trail was quite technically challenging

but soon enough the summit was within reach.

post-254-0-01895000-1341708624_thumb.jpg

At the summit, 360° views await. There is an inactive glass-enclosed fire tower where you can enter your name in a log book. I was the first of the day. It was cloudy and hazy at first, but then the sun did make an appearance, which enhanced the view considerably.

post-254-0-74001500-1341708649_thumb.jpg

From the fire tower, I could see a pond that the longer trail passes. Having made the summit in 1 hr 40min I had ample time to do some exploring. So I trekked down the other trail to the pond, which was about three miles distant. Then I had to do a second ascent. What a killer! Rest breaks every 100 yards or so. Gallons of sweat ... heart rate approaching record levels. Finally made it back up, a satisfied hiker

Nice pics and sounds like a good day, Eric!

Nice pics & vid gentlemen.

I've got nothing new atm but we'll be doing a booze cruise on the lake this evening--maybe some photo ops then & there.

In the meantime, I'll be spending my day coving our lovely typar with cedar shingles. Cap Cod meets VT, ftw.

shake-or-shingle.jpg

Nice job on staggering the seams. I love shingling. It'll look a lot better than typar as well. lol

Nice job on staggering the seams. I love shingling. It'll look a lot better than typar as well. lol

For the life of me I can't figure out why my wife wants to cover up perfectly good typar. ;)

That's actually just a stock photo. I only just got started yesterday after putting up all the trim/corner boards recently. I got a couple courses on yesterday afternoon but now that I'm all set up, should be able to bang out quite a bit today. I'll take a pic after I make some progress. Love the shingles myself though--they do look nice.

Part of me wants to think the pic was altered. Nobody has a video of this?? All I see are still shots. I think it is real, but the doubt crossed my mind.

Seem legit, as they interviewed the witnesses...And there have been a few other great white sightings in the same area over the past week. Good timing I guess with the shot.

Seem legit, as they interviewed the witnesses...And there have been a few other great white sightings in the same area over the past week. Good timing I guess with the shot.

Yeah I saw it. If it wasn't for the interview..the thought would have crossed my mind. I would have absolutely crapped myself.

Yeah I saw it. If it wasn't for the interview..the thought would have crossed my mind. I would have absolutely crapped myself.

They have a real life jaws scenario down there. Chamber of Commerce is fighting to keep the beaches open. Harbor Master and Hooper (Dr Greg Skomal) are saying there's sharks about 10 feet off the beach.

Not a matter of if, but when.

They have a real life jaws scenario down there. Chamber of Commerce is fighting to keep the beaches open. Harbor Master and Hooper (Dr Greg Skomal) are saying there's sharks about 10 feet off the beach.

Not a matter of if, but when.

I'm sure you are well aware, but I heard the PYM harbormaster saying that people have no idea what's in those waters around there..lol. I can imagine.

A surfer is going to go missing at dusk on one of the outer cape beaches. There are some remote surf spots up in Truro. The holy grail of surfing is to find an empty lineup and surf perfect waves by yourself.

Saturday I saw kids swimming at Race Point beach in P-town. There's a wall where the water column goes from 120 feet to 10 ft and there's a pile of seals in the area. Perfect great white hunting grounds. Last year a seal got destroyed 10 feet from the beach there. The parents should have their head examined.

Archived