joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
**New England** summer picture/scenery thread

free_man

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice shots, BB... love that last one with the fog/mist in the hollow and the rock wall in the foreground. That's classic New England right there and there's probably like a 10F difference in temp between up on the ridge in the background and down under the fog at the very bottom of the hollow, haha.

Nice shots, BB... love that last one with the fog/mist in the hollow and the rock wall in the foreground. That's classic New England right there and there's probably like a 10F difference in temp between up on the ridge in the background and down under the fog at the very bottom of the hollow, haha.

thanks!

funny you mention that, we were noticing the car thermometer jumping 10 degrees in a short distance later near orh

Today's trip was to the Northern Presidentials. My original and ambitious itinerary included summiting Jefferson, Adams, Madison and Clay. Time restraints - and energy deficiency - reduced the trip to summiting only Jefferson and Adams and making a drive-by of Madison Hut.

First pic is looking west from one of the Caps on the Caps Ridge Trail as the sun rises over the Presidential ridgeline. Nice start to the day!

post-254-0-36243300-1345932516_thumb.jpg

Second pic is from the summit of Mt Adams - the second-highest peak in New England at 5799'. Star Lake is in the col and Mt Madison is lurking behind the lak Twas a brutal descent off of Adams..

post-254-0-24235900-1345932549_thumb.jpg

This last pic is taken from my lunch site in Edmands Col between Jefferson and Adams looking into Jefferson Ravine. I could've gotten closer to the edge, but always fear a renegade gust of wind will blow me off. lol

post-254-0-38724600-1345932616_thumb.jpg

After I circumnavigated Jefferson post-lunch the clouds rolled in. About one mile down the road after finishing up it started to rain. Nice timing. Also need to mention that it must've been College Co-ed Days, because the talent ratio was quite high today. Oh my.

Long hike planned for today - about 16 miles or so in the Great Gulf and Mount Washington. Had to get an early start for this one ... was at the trailhead at 4:50 and used a headlamp for over an hour. Overnight rain on the mountain created very slippery conditions. I must have slipped on my azz a dozen times. Anyway, here's some pics.

The Great Gulf Trail follows the West Branch of the Peabody River right on up the headwall. Many river crossings, some with bridges, most with boulders and no blazes whatsoever. Here's one shot of many I took of the river.

post-254-0-47565000-1346542718_thumb.jpg

This is Spaulding Lake in the foreground with the Great Gulf headwall surrounding it on three sides. Very majestic and my favorite of the sites I have visited this year.

post-254-0-52609000-1346542742_thumb.jpg

The trail up the headwall rises 1600' over 0.8 mile and is just a jumble of rock. Very tiring ascending this.

post-254-0-68387700-1346542772_thumb.jpg

At the top of the headwall, Mount Washington summit is a hop, skip and a jump away.

post-254-0-15834800-1346542797_thumb.jpg

After eating my lunch at Washington's summit, I took the Nelson Crag Trail. It passes Huntington Ravine. For scaling purposes, there are some people climbing these rocks. Can you see them?

post-254-0-54445400-1346542826_thumb.jpg

My phone batteries kicked the bucket after the Huntington pic, but I carry a backup though I cannot upload pics until at work. :/ Anyway, extremely treacherous descent on the Wamsutta Trail, but made it out alive after a hike of 16 miles and nearly 11 hours. Incredible weather again this weekend ... been getting fortunate with that.

Long hike planned for today - about 16 miles or so in the Great Gulf and Mount Washington. Had to get an early start for this one ... was at the trailhead at 4:50 and used a headlamp for over an hour. Overnight rain on the mountain created very slippery conditions. I must have slipped on my azz a dozen times. Anyway, here's some pics.

The Great Gulf Trail follows the West Branch of the Peabody River right on up the headwall. Many river crossings, some with bridges, most with boulders and no blazes whatsoever. Here's one shot of many I took of the river.

post-254-0-47565000-1346542718_thumb.jpg

This is Spaulding Lake in the foreground with the Great Gulf headwall surrounding it on three sides. Very majestic and my favorite of the sites I have visited this year.

post-254-0-52609000-1346542742_thumb.jpg

The trail up the headwall rises 1600' over 0.8 mile and is just a jumble of rock. Very tiring ascending this.

post-254-0-68387700-1346542772_thumb.jpg

At the top of the headwall, Mount Washington summit is a hop, skip and a jump away.

post-254-0-15834800-1346542797_thumb.jpg

After eating my lunch at Washington's summit, I took the Nelson Crag Trail. It passes Huntington Ravine. For scaling purposes, there are some people climbing these rocks. Can you see them?

post-254-0-54445400-1346542826_thumb.jpg

My phone batteries kicked the bucket after the Huntington pic, but I carry a backup though I cannot upload pics until at work. :/ Anyway, extremely treacherous descent on the Wamsutta Trail, but made it out alive after a hike of 16 miles and nearly 11 hours. Incredible weather again this weekend ... been getting fortunate with that.

Man you have become my hiking hero this summer. I have been telling myself that iwas going try and hike some but all I have managed are a couple of short ones with my 8 year old. There is still time this fall so hopefully I can manage at least one more, though it will move nearly as spectacular as you conquests. Thanks for the pics.

Man you have become my hiking hero this summer. I have been telling myself that iwas going try and hike some but all I have managed are a couple of short ones with my 8 year old. There is still time this fall so hopefully I can manage at least one more, though it will move nearly as spectacular as you conquests. Thanks for the pics.

Thanks for the kind words! If you're bored, I have a bunch of additional pics with commentary from this and previous hikes on my Facebook page ... link posted below.

Archived