• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
**New England** summer picture/scenery thread

free_man

Nice amarshall. Summertime is awesome in New England. Can not imagine living anywhere else, we have so much variety to do here. Tuna on the grill, yummy, soak in a little Italian dressing withan ounce of lemon lime Gatorade for an hour in tin foil, cook each side for 3-4 mins, perfecto.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a few images from my hike up Whiteface and Passaconaway today. Like to give Bob a shoutout for suggesting this particular hike, btw.

Unbeknownst to me, Whiteface has a series of killer ledges to climb, rivalling Baldface in my opinion. This first pic is looking to the south. Lake Winnipesaukee can be seen in the background towards the left. Squam Lake is in the right background.

post-254-0-94798000-1344110617_thumb.jpg

This next one is from an overlook near Passaconaway's summit. It's looking north into the Whites. I took this opportunity to have lunch. The bummer thing about these peaks is that they have forested summits, so grabbing a bite with a view seemed like a choice idea.

post-254-0-61623900-1344110648_thumb.jpg

Here we see Whiteface Mountain from the perspective of Passaconaway. I remember standing at this outlook and saying to myself, "I hiked from down there, to up there, to over there and then to over here??" It's a long way! BTW, the rock ledges to the left and near the summit are the ones that kick ass, in case anybody has a hankering for hand to hand combat with a mountain.

post-254-0-24561400-1344110674_thumb.jpg

This last one was a surprise. I had been hiking down from Passaconaway's summit for what seemed like an eternity with no views whatsoever, so I had kinda given up hope for another scenic vista. Suddenly I found myself on a large rock ledge with a nice view to the east, with Mt Chocorua's bare summit greeting me. I have Chocorua on my list, looks like a gem.

So, that was fun. Incredible rock ledges to navigate, extremely steep approaches to each summit and spectacular views to be had on a clear day. Next week I hope to take on Mount Washington.

post-254-0-69431800-1344110715_thumb.jpg

Hey Eric, you are a seasoned hiker now. That loop is no slouch. You just bagged a couple 4k'ers too! Too bad the summits are treed, but there are vistas to be had which you took photos of. I've always wanted to do this hike. Must have been a shorter drive too, no? So many places to hike in the Whites.

Hey Eric, you are a seasoned hiker now. That loop is no slouch. You just bagged a couple 4k'ers too! Too bad the summits are treed, but there are vistas to be had which you took photos of. I've always wanted to do this hike. Must have been a shorter drive too, no? So many places to hike in the Whites.

I think it's about the same distance as Baldface - 45 miles.

No joke about it being no slouch. My research indicated that the most common trail to descend is the Dicey's Mill trail, but looking at the topo maps it seemed like it was mostly a relatively easy way down (likely the very reason it is so popular). So, after consulting the awesome trail network map at trailsnh.com, I decided to take a slightly longer and likely more physically abusive trail from Passaconaway - Walden Trail to Wonalancet Range Trail which allowed me to also summit Mt Wonalancet. That descent wiped me out, just physically killed me with the steep rock-filled chutes. Waking up at 2:50 am probably didn't help either, nor did the hot weather. lol A good rest overnight has recharged my batteries.

This is from a rocking chair on the front porch of the Oceanic Hotel on Star Island, NH, part of the Isle of Shoals!

Have a good weekend.

Speaking of remote islands in the Gulf of Maine.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=boon+island&hl=en&ll=43.11859,-70.464506&spn=0.046988,0.07699&gbv=2&hnear=Boon+Island&t=m&z=14

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boon_Island_Light

A few pics from my hike up Mt Chocorua today. Had intended to go up Mt Washington, but the obs when I woke up at 3:00 showed 0.0m vis, which kinda harshed my buzz. So, Plan B was Chocorua. It was really foggy to begin with. In fact, I didn't get any views until I had summited Middle Sister, which is a total shame because the Carter Ledge Trail was packed full of amazing places for scenic vistas. Another time, certainly. Anywhooo ... lots of time spent exposed to the elements, which is what I get off on. Reminded me very much of Baldface in that regard. First time on wet trail, too. Water was running down the trail much of the way, making for very slippery conditions. Had to resort to full-body hiking in a few spots, but I think I passed the test. Enjoy!

post-254-0-21080700-1344801681_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-69656700-1344801726_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-19804200-1344801863_thumb.jpg

A few pics from my hike up Mt Chocorua today. Had intended to go up Mt Washington, but the obs when I woke up at 3:00 showed 0.0m vis, which kinda harshed my buzz. So, Plan B was Chocorua. It was really foggy to begin with. In fact, I didn't get any views until I had summited Middle Sister, which is a total shame because the Carter Ledge Trail was packed full of amazing places for scenic vistas. Another time, certainly. Anywhooo ... lots of time spent exposed to the elements, which is what I get off on. Reminded me very much of Baldface in that regard. First time on wet trail, too. Water was running down the trail much of the way, making for very slippery conditions. Had to resort to full-body hiking in a few spots, but I think I passed the test. Enjoy!

That first one is one of the best photos I've seen posted here. Awesome. Really giving powderfreak some competition.

The view from the hill coming down into Meredith on Rt 3 is still one of my favorites.

Yeah, that's great one.

Have you enjoyed the view coming down the Gilford end of the Laconia bypass? It's awesome in the spring/fall because you can see the snow on Mt. Washington while the valley is green.

One of the best views in the state is somewhere on route 109 or 113 near Sandwich, I don't recall exactly. You can't really see it from the road and there is no good place to pull off. I ended up parking in some old farm houses driveway. You walk down this tree covered path and it opens up into a huge field with a magnificent backdrop of mountains.

I'm probably going to poke around on google streetview and see if I can pinpoint it.

Yeah, that's great one.

Have you enjoyed the view coming down the Gilford end of the Laconia bypass? It's awesome in the spring/fall because you can see the snow on Mt. Washington while the valley is green.

One of the best views in the state is somewhere on route 109 or 113 near Sandwich, I don't recall exactly. You can't really see it from the road and there is no good place to pull off. I ended up parking in some old farm houses driveway. You walk down this tree covered path and it opens up into a huge field with a magnificent backdrop of mountains.

I'm probably going to poke around on google streetview and see if I can pinpoint it.

I haven't really been down that way, but I will certainly look in the Fall. I know where you mean though.

That's funny you describe that view in Sandwich. I went up Sandwich notch road a few weeks ago and right at the end...there is a house across the street which at this point is on a hill and the views open up to the Whites. Almost a similar description.

That first one is one of the best photos I've seen posted here. Awesome. Really giving powderfreak some competition.

Thanks! I was actually thinking of powderfreak when I was looking at the valley fog ... undercast as he likes to call it. I was initially bummed about the conditions, but in the end I think it may have even enhanced some of them.

Archived