northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Damaging freeze thread

ORH_wxman

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's some impressive numbers...you must be sheltered very well to get those type of numbers. Definitely not like that here with less radiational cooling. But I've seen it be 40F here and then frost in the sheltered basins in May quite frequently.

Latest 32 (or colder) IMBY is June 12, earliest is Sept 1, so 79 days between. Looking at 37s not appropriate at my place, as it's one of those sheltered basins. (Not quite so much as our 1st place in Ft. Kent, where I lost part of the garden on July 31, 1978, then had a hard freeze in late August. Frost-free season that year was 44 days.)

Morning low was 15-16, with continuing wind. I don't think we'll get any damage here - forsythia buds have swelled but they're pretty tough. So's the pussywillow, which has gone beyond the fuzz to the first green.

Maybe it is. Idk. They looked like they were ready to pop flowers a few days ago. I have a leafed out crab apple tree too that didn't look healthy.

Rhododendron are great for looking at and telling an approximate temp. At above 40 they completely unfurl, at lower than 20 they shrivel up.

:lol:

I'm glad I sold all of my shares of Mt. Tolland Oranges ®

I wonder what the Native Americans and Puritans did about these hard freezes? I bet Thanksgiving was cancelled that year.

Messenger, you should not put any attention to this hard freeze! There's a forest fire coming right for your area! Harvest your crops now and get below ground!

I wonder what the Native Americans and Puritans did about these hard freezes? I bet Thanksgiving was cancelled that year.

Messenger, you should not put any attention to this hard freeze! There's a forest fire coming right for your area! Harvest your crops now and get below ground!

Have to admit I've never seen it this dry here. Beach sand is blowing hundreds of yards through the air.

Complain about the wind, complain about the cold. Anything else you need to get off of your chest?

:snowing:

yeah, as a matter of fact...i'd like a break from the twins for a bit, as well...but that ain't happening...today was plyometrics or jump training...and i think i double slapped myself under the chin...

wind still ripping here, but temp up to 44.2

Yeah not much damage here with a low of 23F...and its back up to 45 with a dp of -3. Crazy dry, but the sun is warm. One of those days where it's cool to cold outside but you get in the car and it feels like the heats been on for a half hour. Average high is about 50 and low is about 33 or so, so today will go in as a -6 or -7 probably.

Archived