• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Southeast Mid/Long Range Discussion III

Marion_NC_WX

If I were a betttin man i'd say the models will go back to a storm for us in a day or two and probably cold as well.That's the way it's been all winter long.One day the models show everyone getting storm ,and everyone gets excited,Next day doesn't look as good then by day 3 people are talking about jumping off cliff.Not sure what that will prove by jumping off cliffs.Then 2 dys later another storm pops back up.The snow we got last week wasn't suppoes to happen here.The forecast was for it to hit the Mid Atlantic .It was there one day gone the next .Even some had it as a Miller B.I've never seen the models with this much problem the whole season.And were not done yet.

Would love to believe it so, but it's late February, and the PNA, AO, and NAO are all against us. So it's looking likely that if you're the Mid-Atlantic south, you should get ready for spring.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some are speculating that we are entering a cooler period with a return to winters seen in the 60s and 70s (I am skeptical of that)...I don't know about Robert but I believe Joe is on that path and he is not the only one. As you have been saying...most did not get this winter correct even in November so it is probably not a good idea to forecast next winter in February! I just hope that everyone recognizes that ENSO is far from a perfect tool to characterize an upcoming season....the last two winters have proven that out.

either way he can't be as bad as this winter. Of course we did get some `salting in Sunday and Monday. I have never had a winter that we didn't have some kind of snow or ice to control. So this past little storm kept streak alive

I'm sure some will look at hour 228 on the 18z but that just isn't going to cut it. Basically a cold chasing moisture thing. By the way I dropped my Euro subscription for the spring/summer since I'm a winter weenie. So if something does come up I won't be doing the PBP on the Euro.

Lol, I cancelled mine today also. If for some reason we do get a storm it'll be hard not having access to the euro. Oh well, I'll pick it back up in December.

Most got winter wrong ALL WINTER! As late as the end of January, folks on this board were forecasting a cold February. Winters like this one separate the wishcasters from the forecasters, imo. Kudos to those who stood their ground and didn't cave to the idea that it has to get cold sooner or later. Clearly, this winter proved that it doesn't.

Some are speculating that we are entering a cooler period with a return to winters seen in the 60s and 70s (I am skeptical of that)...I don't know about Robert but I believe Joe is on that path and he is not the only one. As you have been saying...most did not get this winter correct even in November so it is probably not a good idea to forecast next winter in February! I just hope that everyone recognizes that ENSO is far from a perfect tool to characterize an upcoming season....the last two winters have proven that out.

Most got winter wrong ALL WINTER! As late as the end of January, folks on this board were forecasting a cold February. Winters like this one separate the wishcasters from the forecasters, imo. Kudos to those who stood their ground and didn't cave to the idea that it has to get cold sooner or later. Clearly, this winter proved that it doesn't.

I don't think anyone forsaw the AO being as positive as it turned out to be. That's the overwhelming reason this winter was warm. I can only think of one forecast that got it right. The more I see about the sunspot-AO relationship, the more I believe that's where the future of seasonal forecasting lies. If we are indeed heading towards a generational sunspot low in the coming years then winters will be colder, that's a pretty accepted belief. I also personally believe a lot of the global warming hype will wane in the future if this turns out to be true.

I don't think anyone forsaw the AO being as positive as it turned out to be. That's the overwhelming reason this winter was warm. I can only think of one forecast that got it right. The more I see about the sunspot-AO relationship, the more I believe that's where the future of seasonal forecasting lies. If we are indeed heading towards a generational sunspot low in the coming years then winters will be colder, that's a pretty accepted belief. I also personally believe a lot of the global warming hype will wane in the future if this turns out to be true.

Very good post! I agree 100%. Never did buy into that global warming business.

I got it right in november, I said this winter would suck quite a few times then and all along and I was right ;)

I'm ready for spring. Nothing I hate more than cold in march and april though which I have a feeling we will get frequent shots of. Which of course will lead to no snow but just annoyingly cool weather.

I got it right in november, I said this winter would suck quite a few times then and all along and I was right ;)

Yeah. Back in late November I went by my old school. Since I was the "winter weather expert" there back in the day, several asked me about the upcoming winter. I just said they should not count on missing any school this year. I guess i didn't damage my rep because they haven't even had a one hour delay the whole winter. Last Monday was a holiday so I even dodged that one. It's good to be the king.

Yeah. Back in late November I went by my old school. Since I was the "winter weather expert" there back in the day, several asked me about the upcoming winter. I just said they should not count on missing any school this year. I guess i didn't damage my rep because they haven't even had a one hour delay the whole winter. Last Monday was a holiday so I even dodged that one. It's good to be the king.

After the 15th of March, and nothing on the models, I will call it over. Basically 2 more weeks and winter will be done (outside the mountains). I am not looking forward to summer at all. Let's hope it's a cool one. At least I did see some snow. So, I can't call it a shut-out.

I don't really see much of any way that one can do us well as it looks pretty much like a cold front blowing through to me. It's not even a Lakes Cutter; it's more like a Quebec Cutter! :lmao:

I definiltly agree now, Looking at the 18z GFS (just rolling in) and there is some cold air showing up at day 7. Looks like a quick two day shot but the point is there is still cold air pushing into the SE. So in short, we're in the ninth inning but the games still on.

I definiltly agree now, Looking at the 18z GFS (just rolling in) and there is some cold air showing up at day 7. Looks like a quick two day shot but the point is there is still cold air pushing into the SE. So in short, we're in the ninth inning but the games still on.

I hope there is at least a little suprise but, I have the same feeling that we are going into the ninth inning down by several runs and we have to try and come back against the best closer in the game mariano rivera. Not looking very good at this point....

I will be in Florida from March 3rd - March 10th. Look for a winter storm in that time frame! :(

I'm surprised eastern NC guys aren't talking about the last few runs of the euro. It's been pretty consistent with closing off a 5h low just off the coast at the beginning of next week.

Were on it, trust me... Still 8 days out, but it has been consistent over the past 2 days in showing a coastal, not much QPF, even along the obx, just something to keep an eye on at t his point.

Archived