Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Southeast Mid/Long Range Discussion III

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the review of the last storm (2-19/20), a number of people noted the GFS saw an Apps runner for a long time until it got closer to the event. Yet the European had a fairly good grasp on the storm from 8-10 days out (though it did waffle a bit). Given the GFS and European are saying the same respective things about the storm next week, I take that as a good sign since these patterns tend to repeat once they're set in motion. IMO

Recent GFS runs would be good for a severe weather event in the 144-180 hr period next week centered somewhere around the Ozarks/Lower MS Valley/Mid South into Dixie Alley. Open Gulf and strong wind profiles at all levels, although still a ways out (Better than these 10-11 day fantasy storms we've been seeing though).

Well you can sure can tell nothing is going on winter weather wise this morning for the SE.I would really like to see one more chance at snow before all is said and done .If it doesn't happen then i'm ready for 2012-2013 winter .I've read we will have a El Nino next winter I saw comparison from Sept Oct Nov 2009 and the forecast for this years Sept Oct, Nov time fram and they look very close.We all know how 2009/2010 winter turned out.I'd take a repeat of that.

Well you can sure can tell nothing is going on winter weather wise this morning for the SE.I would really like to see one more chance at snow before all is said and done .If it doesn't happen then i'm ready for 2012-2013 winter .I've read we will have a El Nino next winter I saw comparison from Sept Oct Nov 2009 and the forecast for this years Sept Oct, Nov time fram and they look very close.We all know how 2009/2010 winter turned out.I'd take a repeat of that.

El Nino does not necessarily equate to cold winter so be careful with those projections...an east based event could lead to another warm winter. Also there is a link above to a nice discussion in the mid range thread in the main Weather and Forecasting forum on ENSO going forward...there is still a good deal of uncertainty on the evolution...we could still be in La Nina next winter too....

This lovely warm weather today appears to be a hint of things to come. Indeed I believe last weekend was the "Robert Snow," because I see little in the cards now. Just 48 hours ago I was more hopeful coming out of the weekend, but much has changed. I'll go through this weekend, next week's Lakes and New England chances, and my March thoughts.

Saturday upslope for the mountains looks hosed now, but still flurries or some snow showers. With the parent low so far north, post-frontal wind direction is not correct at low to mid-levels and the upper level flow is less cyclonic. Kudos to Ray for fading all week. With his niche focus in NC mtns, I rarely see either Type I or Type II errors in his snow fcsts. At least it will be cold enough to make snow.

Next week looks to be another GL/NE event. Models actually had that except for about 24 hours of colder runs early this week. Even New England is questionable now. Should be thunderstorms in the South and maybe another mid-South svr tease. Starting to lose split flow in favor of an Ohio Valley single storm track putting snow up over the GL. Southeast ridging even tries to build at times with troughs passing through the West and Plains before spinning up lows in the Ohio Valley. Also the NAO creeping up is bearish and the guidance has latched on.

Finally Pacific flow appears to be changing and will promote a more active storm track into the Pac-NW going into March. Eventually troughing should carve out West which would shut down the Southeast for snow. When systems eject from the Plains perhaps some severe chances will come up. Without a major shift mid-March that is it. I tend to favor looking fwd to severe season at this point.

:twister:

El Nino does not necessarily equate to cold winter so be careful with those projections...an east based event could lead to another warm winter. Also there is a link above to a nice discussion in the mid range thread in the main Weather and Forecasting forum on ENSO going forward...there is still a good deal of uncertainty on the evolution...we could still be in La Nina next winter too....

I agree but I will say several mets have said next year looks good. Robert and JB have said the next several years look good. Now JB said starting this upcoming winter while Robert has not pinpointed in down to that just yet. I forgot why they said that as I am just a Landscaper :whistle:

I agree but I will say several mets have said next year looks good. Robert and JB have said the next several years look good. Now JB said starting this upcoming winter while Robert has not pinpointed in down to that just yet. I forgot why they said that as I am just a Landscaper :whistle:

Some are speculating that we are entering a cooler period with a return to winters seen in the 60s and 70s (I am skeptical of that)...I don't know about Robert but I believe Joe is on that path and he is not the only one. As you have been saying...most did not get this winter correct even in November so it is probably not a good idea to forecast next winter in February! I just hope that everyone recognizes that ENSO is far from a perfect tool to characterize an upcoming season....the last two winters have proven that out.

Might be time to throw in the towel on this one. We could have another threat but I'm finding it hard to believe. No model shows anything really even remotely close. We just have to hope for a surprise at this point.

Yup...after trying to shed a ray of hope the last few days, they have almost slammed the door shut except for some type of freak dynamic event.

Some are speculating that we are entering a cooler period with a return to winters seen in the 60s and 70s (I am skeptical of that)...I don't know about Robert but I believe Joe is on that path and he is not the only one. As you have been saying...most did not get this winter correct even in November so it is probably not a good idea to forecast next winter in February! I just hope that everyone recognizes that ENSO is far from a perfect tool to characterize an upcoming season....the last two winters have proven that out.

Agreed - These last two winter seasons have both been during "La Nina", however they have certainly not behaved per the classical MO. Last year we had a stubborn -NAO that resulted in cold and snow for the SE...this year, a nasty PJ undercut everything, and the rain amounts for my FA have been well above the characteristics of a Nina.

If I were a betttin man i'd say the models will go back to a storm for us in a day or two and probably cold as well.That's the way it's been all winter long.One day the models show everyone getting storm ,and everyone gets excited,Next day doesn't look as good then by day 3 people are talking about jumping off cliff.Not sure what that will prove by jumping off cliffs.Then 2 dys later another storm pops back up.The snow we got last week wasn't suppoes to happen here.The forecast was for it to hit the Mid Atlantic .It was there one day gone the next .Even some had it as a Miller B.I've never seen the models with this much problem the whole season.And were not done yet.

Archived