EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Weekend Storm Discussion 2/18-2/19

stormtracker

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they don't always trend north.. this year it's probably just as likely it goes back south.

If the winter time trends are the same as the warm season trends, there probably is a slight south bias, because models tend to underforecast the strength of the subtropical ridge. Stronger than modeled ridges would lead to a south bias in the storm track. I don't know if that is necessarily true for the cold season, though.

If the winter time trends are the same as the warm season trends, there probably is a slight south bias, because models tend to underforecast the strength of the subtropical ridge. Stronger than modeled ridges would lead to a south bias in the storm track. I don't know if that is necessarily true for the cold season, though.

i think the conventional wisdom that storms "trend' north is generally true but if it doesnt phase right etc it's just going to slide off to the south or even get ripped apart as we've seen numerous times.

cwg is onboard! :unsure:

model-blend-021912.jpg?uuid=gqqRpFaBEeGxeaNVD8kUTg

Several computer models simulate a coastal storm and the potential for snow Sunday, but several others (not shown) do not. (Source of imagery: US Navy, StormVistaWxModels.com, UQAM Montreal Weather Center; AccuWeather via Tony Pann on Facebook)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/are-we-done-with-winter-weather-or-does-weekend-snowstorm-loom-poll/2012/02/13/gIQAVuCWBR_blog.html

it's 6 days away. it might not even be there at 0z.

Yeah I know. Just from watching the last three winters though, it seems like the good storms started out as missing to the south and sliding OTS, then trended north/west as we got closer. Like I never remember, say, a GLC modeled six days out that suddenly turned into a coastal. But maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah I know. Just from watching the last three winters though, it seems like the good storms started out as missing to the south and sliding OTS, then trended north/west as we got closer. Like I never remember, say, a GLC modeled six days out that suddenly turned into a coastal. But maybe I'm wrong.

We also had a -AO/-NAO combo last year.

We also had a -AO/-NAO combo last year.

Yes we did and the -nao on steroids was not our friend. The se and southern ma loved it though. This winter is actually better than last in alot of ways. Folks getting snow in every direction except over head is harder to deal with than having a widespread snow drought. Misery loves company.

cwg is onboard! :unsure:

model-blend-021912.jpg?uuid=gqqRpFaBEeGxeaNVD8kUTg

Several computer models simulate a coastal storm and the potential for snow Sunday, but several others (not shown) do not. (Source of imagery: US Navy, StormVistaWxModels.com, UQAM Montreal Weather Center; AccuWeather via Tony Pann on Facebook)

http://www.washingto...uCWBR_blog.html

Anything that gets me an article is good even if it is a day 6 storm threat...always an iffy deal even in the best of years.

You're right. Maybe it's not the snow we miss; maybe it's the adrenaline rush. (not kidding)

There is is alot of truth to this. There is a certain feeling one gets from the expectation and tracking of the system and watching it unfold verses the actual end result. (For some at least)

There is is alot of truth to this. There is a certain feeling one gets from the expectation and tracking of the system and watching it unfold verses the actual end result. (For some at least)

Maybe early. Tracking to track is less fun after investing tens or hundreds of hours for 2" of snow. If it's a gaurantee it's one thing... If it sucks that's another.

The differences on the GFS between 12Z and 18Z are comical.

Just massively different upper air solution in the same time period.

I wouldn't call it massively different or comical. The big difference between 12 & 18z is the handling of the vort in the mw around the 150ish range.

There are just too many features imbedded in a fast flow to expect anything different at this range. The swings will continue and it should be fully expected by everyone here.

Archived