Newest Member
    joxey
Weekend Storm Discussion 2/18-2/19

stormtracker

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, a coastal rainstorm is totally threadworthy.....jk

Honestly, imo- this is probably the best threat of the year. split flow.....50/50......nao isn't raging +........climo prime time.......and most importantly, europe is forecast to be warm and dry this week.......

Here's a 500 H composite of 4 inch or greater La Nina snowstorms

post-70-0-46208200-1329161788.gif

They are not as good a match to the GEFS ense mean as a general dc snowstorm composite for all years. Not sure that means much.

Here's a 500 H composite of 4 inch or greater La Nina snowstorms

They are not as good a match to the GEFS ense mean as a general dc snowstorm composite for all years. Not sure that means much.

Hmm... Not a good match and it's a good point. 2" is a winner this year though.

I was thinking about the euro temps earlier and realized it may be best for the system to stay weaker and slide off the coast. I would think the far n&w precip shield has the best chance for snow. In this case, too much of a good thing might end up making us wet instead of white.

Hmm... Not a good match and it's a good point. 2" is a winner this year though.

I was thinking about the euro temps earlier and realized it may be best for the system to stay weaker and slide off the coast. I would think the far n&w precip shield has the best chance for snow. In this case, too much of a good thing might end up making us wet instead of white.

I think it too early to know for sure but the boundary layer is a concern but that is a nice track. A better track could either warm us or cool us depending on the dynamics and lifting. On the composite I even took out 1/6/96 thinking its signal might be so strong as to impact the composite but it ended up looking pretty much the same.

it's President's Day, and we have had PD storms in 03, 06, 09, so we're due in this +3.

How about +33? The third largest snowstorm in DC history (and the largest since the January 1922 Knickerbocker storm) occurred on President's Day weekend, Sunday, February 18th to Monday, February 19th, 1979. The storm totaled 18.7 inches at DCA.

JMA still has a big storm but it looks just like the euro now...does not take it up the coast as yesterdays run did. So at 144 hours, the bullseye is Richmond. Good luck with that RIC

Perhaps we can hope it phases early and expands precip to the NW. But an RIC bullseye might bode well for at least the southern half of our region.

JMA still has a big storm but it looks just like the euro now...does not take it up the coast as yesterdays run did. So at 144 hours, the bullseye is Richmond. Good luck with that RIC

fwiw, looking at the 7H RH, I would say it stays to our south, not that it is bad at this point

http://grib2.com/jma/CONUS_JMA_700_GPHTMPRH_144HR.gif

Dumb question: if, as everyone seems to be saying, the "models always trend north" with these types of system as they approach in time, why doesn't someone just correct the models' early southern bias? Or is this whole 'north trend' thing just wishful thinking?

I think it too early to know for sure but the boundary layer is a concern but that is a nice track. A better track could either warm us or cool us depending on the dynamics and lifting. On the composite I even took out 1/6/96 thinking its signal might be so strong as to impact the composite but it ended up looking pretty much the same.

I'm just being a paranoid weenie. BL has been a thorn the last couple of weeks. Maybe not as bad 20+ miles to the N&W of the cities but folks in close and to the E have been suffering pretty bad.

Conventional wisdom would definitely argue for more snow than rain even if it tracks further up the coast. Without a dying primary in the oh valley, it seems odd that we are talking about warm surface and rain given the track and setup but it's a recurring theme this year.

I'm looking forward to your analysis this week and I hope the threat holds serve so we can at least enjoy the chase.

Dumb question: if, as everyone seems to be saying, the "models always trend north" with these types of system as they approach in time, why doesn't someone just correct the models' early southern bias? Or is this whole 'north trend' thing just wishful thinking?

per some mets, the models often overdo the Canadian maritimes Low or -NAO at this range

once they pickup on them better making them weaker, it trends north

they don't always trend north.. this year it's probably just as likely it goes back south.

There's always hope that it'll do a last minute jog north like 1/30/10.

Although it would seem fitting that the grand finale for this crappy winter would be getting screwed by watching areas south of us cash in.

it's 6 days away. it might not even be there at 0z.

Archived