joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Short Range Obs/Discussion Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only got down to 39 at the house this morning vs a low of 24 yesterday. I think overcast conditions will keep anyone from reaching 70 tomorrow, but anything is possible. I'm not quite ready for the 60s or 70s. That said, I'm not really sure I want 20s or 30s unless we're going to get snow out of it.

posted this over in banter, but probably should have been here:

12z NAM shows some breaks in the clouds (pre-frontal) in the late morning and early afternoon...temps get into the low to mid 70's; CAPE ~ 500/750 J/kg; shear was never an issue with this system (although uni-directional tomorrow); at the very least LWX will probably have to add thunder and wouldn't be surprised in the new Day 2 SPC outlook moves the slight risk up to around the MD/PA border (or at least mentions the potential for an upgrade given uncertainty in the instability tomorrow.).

Chris, I'm glad you posted this. I kinda stink at reading models for thunder and I was wondering if we had some of the ingredients in place for tomorrow. I plan on investing some time this spring learning how to better identify chances for storms and severe. This lack of tracking winter has left me jonesing for new knowledge.

Chris, I'm glad you posted this. I kinda stink at reading models for thunder and I was wondering if we had some of the ingredients in place for tomorrow. I plan on investing some time this spring learning how to better identify chances for storms and severe. This lack of tracking winter has left me jonesing for new knowledge.

I'd still classify it as a marginal risk.....cloud bases are going to be quite high in the afternoon...LCLs are over 1000m...if anything they should be pretty and great to photograph towers (assuming there is development)....

I'd still classify it as a marginal risk.....cloud bases are going to be quite high in the afternoon...LCLs are over 1000m...if anything they should be pretty and great to photograph towers (assuming there is development)....

I'm just hoping for some thunder. My whole family (except the dog, lol) like thunderstorms in general. I'll bring my new camera to work tomorrow just in case.

posted this over in banter, but probably should have been here:

12z NAM shows some breaks in the clouds (pre-frontal) in the late morning and early afternoon...temps get into the low to mid 70's; CAPE ~ 500/750 J/kg; shear was never an issue with this system (although uni-directional tomorrow); at the very least LWX will probably have to add thunder and wouldn't be surprised in the new Day 2 SPC outlook moves the slight risk up to around the MD/PA border (or at least mentions the potential for an upgrade given uncertainty in the instability tomorrow.).

I'd go more conservative and put the Slight Risk up through SE VA, with a See Text up to the MD/PA border based on the NAM. I just don't think it'll come together as fast as we would need it to up this way.

12z GFS is coming in now and it's slower, so that's a good sign for those who want storms/severe.

I'd go more conservative and put the Slight Risk up through SE VA, with a See Text up to the MD/PA border based on the NAM. I just don't think it'll come together as fast as we would need it to up this way.

12z GFS is coming in now and it's slower, so that's a good sign for those who want storms/severe.

I think that's a good assessment and a more likely course of action from SPC.

The 12z NAM looks pretty impressive with regards to the synoptic wind threat. Here's a screenshot from BUFKIT - take a look just after 18z tomorrow.

Additionally, LWX in their update this morning says that a wind advisory is a near certainty with a high wind watch being evaluated.

Maybe not, but it is currently 71 in Cho, 79 in Richmond, 81 in the tidewater, and 72 in Roanoke.

it's funny, i was on the phone w/ someone from richmond two hours ago and she couldn't believe me when i disagreed about how nice a day it was. she said it was sunny and 80 there, and i told her it was 49,cloudy, and drizzly here.

we warmed up to 59 a little while ago when some sun broke out, but the clouds have returned and it's down to 55.

Archived