amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January Obs/Disco

buckeyefan1

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the same thing, however; There have been a dozen friends on Facebook seeing snow, and now the WFMY News 2 Facebook page is saying they have received reports from Danville, Caswell County, and Reidsville. I can't even see anything on radar in that area. Very strange.

in this day of FB and quick media updates, I think we're seeing this more and more and even news sources are accepting and posting things from their subscribers, unfortunately not true. Its way too warm aloft for snow in NC, 850 temps are +3 to +6 or so.

post-38-0-41900300-1327242640.gif

in this day of FB and quick media updates, I think we're seeing this more and more and even news sources are accepting and posting things from their subscribers, unfortunately not true. Its way too warm aloft for snow in NC, 850 temps are +3 to +6 or so.

post-38-0-41900300-1327242640.gif

I immediately looked at that map when I first started seeing the reports and thought people were crazy too. However, I just saw a picture posted with a dusting in Danville, as well as snow on someones car and around the trees between Eden and Reidsville. It is certainly snow in these pictures. If it were one or two reports I would say they were mistaken, but I had a dozen of my friends along with several others commenting on their posts talking about the snow falling and now have seen the pictures to prove it. I am with you, as it appears to be impossible according to that map.

I immediately looked at that map when I first started seeing the reports and thought people were crazy too. However, I just saw a picture posted with a dusting in Danville, as well as snow on someones car and around the trees between Eden and Reidsville. It is certainly snow in these pictures. If it were one or two reports I would say they were mistaken, but I had a dozen of my friends along with several others commenting on their posts talking about the snow falling and now have seen the pictures to prove it. I am with you, as it appears to be impossible according to that map.

ok, I guess it's ice crystals in central and southern VA since 850s aren't that warm, around +2 or +3, but the 925mb level is well below 0 so an inversion and freezing drizzle mixed with ice crystals is possible, probably likely. Either way this is strong damming at the surface for sure and GFS had it pegged, maybe not quite cold enough in fact.

ok, I guess it's ice crystals in central and southern VA since 850s aren't that warm, around +2 or +3, but the 925mb level is well below 0 so an inversion and freezing drizzle mixed with ice crystals is possible, probably likely. Either way this is strong damming at the surface for sure and GFS had it pegged, maybe not quite cold enough in fact.

I see that the discussion out of Blacksburg now mentions this as well. I really thought people were loosing it there for awhile. The picture taken just outside of Danville shows a solid dusting with everything covered which also surprises me because the temperature at the surface looks to be right at freezing. I guess outside of town the temperature may have been a degree or two lower. Even the reports out of Rockingham County in NC were saying it was really coming down around 8am. Either way, I was quite surprised when the reports started showing up a couple of hours ago. I am sure it was also a nice surprise for all of those waking up and seeing snow in that area as well since nobody was mentioning the possibility yesterday or last night.

Man my back yard temp is still right at 35 degrees; might not get to 40 today.

Same here. The ceilings are thick and low and the breeze bites. Makes my now unexpierenced eyes/snowlover heart think winter weather is on the way. After 12 months w/o seeing a flake I have to remind myself of the 'used to be common winter days' with temps in the 33-36 range and clouds/drizzle/rain. I beleive we complained more on the near misses more than we have the sorry pattern we've been stuck in all winter. Actually I'm enjoying the weather today.

I don't think I'll be touching 40 for the afternoon at this rate. Dropped down to 35 and have only rebound to 37, which has been the reading for about 3 hours now believe it or not. Unless the clouds break just enough for a bit of sun, even if only briefly, this may end up being the high and would make this the 5th day that the forecasted high was not reached.

Same here. The ceilings are thick and low and the breeze bites. Makes my now unexpierenced eyes/snowlover heart think winter weather is on the way. After 12 months w/o seeing a flake I have to remind myself of the 'used to be common winter days' with temps in the 33-36 range and clouds/drizzle/rain. I beleive we complained more on the near misses more than we have the sorry pattern we've been stuck in all winter. Actually I'm enjoying the weather today.

Yep, I love a day like today. Only way it would be better is to have your temps :) I've picked up near a tenth just in drizzle, and dripping. 48.5 in mby. T

Wahoo!! Makes you feel less apart from the rest doesn't it, lol. The inclusive power of rain to the drought stricken! Tony

Yes it does :lol: Hopefully it won't be another three months before I see totals like that again :wub:

Perfect January day today with temps in the low 40's, cloudy skies, and a NE breeze at 8-10mph ^_^

Was driving up to Asheville this morning at 8:30 at the top of old fort mountain all of the trees has a nice glaze of ice on them limbs on the side of the interstate! It was a nice winter surprise, probably from rain or freezing fog or combination temp dropped from 35 to 31 from old fort to top, then rose to 34 in black mountain

I've been stuck in the 40's with E to ENE winds for over 24 hours. Yesterday was a misty cold day, easily the best CAD event of the season for mby. Today there was a traffic snarling cold rain on my way to work this AM. I had .36" in the bucket when I left the house, I'm sure when I get home tonight I easily cleared .50" No snow but I'm loving the copious amounts of rain, no flooding rains but the last week or so has given me some really good long duration soakers.

Looks like the Sunday damming event beat all forecasts once again, as it usually does. Still very dammed up, after spending most of Sunday in the 30's much of interior NC.

current:

post-38-0-38468500-1327329194.gif

Although we haven't gotten any winter weather from it, these last two wedges once again shows why i love them. It has been impressive how hard it has been to scour out the low level cold air and how far south it has gotten. Saw a steady temp drop all day yesterdeay/evening and got as low as 38.6. Finally starting to see the temp rise a little, up to 41 with a very good moderate rain at the moment. Recent rains have really saturated the ground for the first time in a long time and it's nice to see.

What I wouldn't give for a classic winter storm cad event though.

Archived