• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January Obs/Disco

buckeyefan1

Don't the models have a tendency to eject the SW's too quickly?

My rule is: if the SW closed low is still in the digging stage, the models tend to eject too quickly. However, if it is "rounding he turn" or in the process of lifting out, then the models actually often are too slow. This is a tricky one, but looking at the latest WV loop, the low seems to be just NW of ELP. and drifting east, which would already have it NW of the 6 hour GFS position. Plus it is hard to bet aganst the Euro and Ukie when they agree. Not super confident in the faster scenario, but that is my tentative call right now.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My rule is: if the SW closed low is still in the digging stage, the models tend to eject too quickly. However, if it is "rounding he turn" or in the process of lifting out, then the models actually often are too slow. This is a tricky one, but looking at the latest WV loop, the low seems to be just NW of ELP. and drifting east, which would already have it NW of the 6 hour GFS position. Plus it is hard to bet aganst the Euro and Ukie when they agree. Not super confident in the faster scenario, but that is my tentative call right now.

Thanks for the explanation Cheez!

fog developing again right after dark. I think the foothills will experience a lot of foggy mornings between now and Spring, with light winds usually dying off completely right in the lee, and dewpoints/temps getting within a degree of each other. The ground is completely saturated. On the cold mornings black ice could be a problem esp. when there is drizzle. Some locations may experience this in the morning, esp. around areas just east of the mountains.

The sun came out, burned off all the fog, and the temp maxed out at a toasty 71 degrees on this 24th day of January :icecream:

I've had some of the best fog of the winter..probably the best...for the last two nights. Late in the afternoon it was starting to rise in the field next door and really looked wonderful. I should have gotten my camera :) I was sure I was going to see Bigfoot, or the Hound of the Basqervilles.

I've gotten .9, and .8 from the last two storms, and I'm a bit short of twice as much rain as you for the year. Your time has to be coming if the rain keeps coming. It finally found me :) T

Finally dipped below freezing (28.3) for what seemed like a week of above freezing temps each night (will confirm that later on).

Looking forward to near then slightly below normal temps this weekend and lord knows the ski resorts around the region will too as their base is dwindling and may actually be eaten up by Thursday's rainfall.

I've had some of the best fog of the winter..probably the best...for the last two nights. Late in the afternoon it was starting to rise in the field next door and really looked wonderful. I should have gotten my camera :) I was sure I was going to see Bigfoot, or the Hound of the Basqervilles.

I've gotten .9, and .8 from the last two storms, and I'm a bit short of twice as much rain as you for the year. Your time has to be coming if the rain keeps coming. It finally found me :) T

I didn't see bigfoot here, although with all of the fog he could have been standing in front of me and I would not have known :lol: Goofy and Dr. No insist that the rain is coming and CAE gives me hope too :wub:

.SHORT TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH FRIDAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --

AN UPSTREAM UPPER LEVEL CUTOFF LOW CURRENTLY OVER NEW MEXICO WILL SLOWLY PUSH EASTWARD ACROSS THE SOUTHERN PART OF THE COUNTRY THURSDAY...THEN OPEN UP AND LIFT ACROSS THE SOUTHEASTERN STATES FRIDAY. WEAK ISENTROPIC LIFTING DEVELOPS IN WARM ADVECTION DURING THE DAY THURSDAY. KEPT A MENTION OF SLIGHT CHANCE POPS FOR THURSDAY...MAINLY ACROSS THE WESTERN HALF OF THE FORECAST AREA. THE ECMWF IS THE MOST PROGRESSIVE WITH THE NAM BEING SLIGHTLY LOWER AND THE GFS BEING THE SLOWEST OF ALL GUIDANCE. DISCOUNTED THE GFS SOLUTION AT THIS TIME GIVEN ITS LARGE CHANGE FROM PREVIOUS RUNS AND AS IT IS AN OUTLIER AMONG ALL GUIDANCE AND LEANING TOWARDS THE NAM TIMING. KEPT INCREASING POPS THURSDAY NIGHT WITH CATEGORICAL POPS EARLY FRIDAY...AND DIMINISHING POPS ON FRIDAY AFTERNOON. THUNDER IS POSSIBLE GIVEN MARGINAL INSTABILITY. RAINFALL AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED TO RANGE BETWEEN 0.25 AND 0.50 INCH.

67.7o for a high here. Looking forward to some rain although the 12z and 18z GFS have really cut down totals. :(

I recorded 66.7 on my thermometer at work, kind of ridiculous for the date.

boo, I hope we clear an inch so my gauge can overflow into the bigger cylinder for once. I've yet to see it happen with my new gauge, wanting to put that part of it to work lol

I recorded 66.7 on my thermometer at work, kind of ridiculous for the date.

boo, I hope we clear an inch so my gauge can overflow into the bigger cylinder for once. I've yet to see it happen with my new gauge, wanting to put that part of it to work lol

I just looked at the 12z and 18z NAM and they are much wetter. Both showing about 1.25 -1.5" for us. Will be interesting to see who ends up winning, the GFS or the NAM.

Archived