mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
January Obs/Disco

buckeyefan1

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks like another massive bust on temps for Sunday in the piedmont of NC. Local TV markets have 59 in CLT for Sunday. GFS says upper 30s to low 40's. I admit it's been hard to forecast beyond 72 hours with these in-situ damming events. This one looks pretty typical though from 60 hours out, and still there are some 60 degree highs forecast here Sunday. :axe:

post-38-0-52121600-1327034106.gif

looks like another massive bust on temps for Sunday in the piedmont of NC. Local TV markets have 59 in CLT for Sunday. GFS says upper 30s to low 40's. I admit it's been hard to forecast beyond 72 hours with these in-situ damming events. This one looks pretty typical though from 60 hours out, and still there are some 60 degree highs forecast here Sunday. :axe:

I am telling you the GFS is broken this year. We need call 1-800-Fix-D-GFS! And get someone working on that! :axe:

I think this map is a good example of they weight of cold air. From a few days ago iirc, the maps were only showing 30s for a good chunk of Kentucky. In looking at the current map you can see much of Kentucky in the 20s, and even some teens for extreme northern KY. Just thought it was interesting and shows what can happen with a shallow layer of cold air.

Brad Panovich has a good write up on this weekend's CAD event... http://wxbrad.com/?p=2646

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

FLOOD WATCH

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA

1202 PM EST FRI JAN 20 2012

GAZ001>005-011-210115-

/O.NEW.KFFC.FA.A.0001.120121T0600Z-120122T1200Z/

/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/

DADE-WALKER-CATOOSA-WHITFIELD-MURRAY-CHATTOOGA-

1202 PM EST FRI JAN 20 2012

...FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY

MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PEACHTREE CITY HAS ISSUED A

* FLOOD WATCH FOR A PORTION OF NORTHWEST GEORGIA.

* FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING

* A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM OVER THE SOUTHERN PLAINS WILL LIFT

NORTHEAST THROUGH TOMORROW AND TRACK ACROSS THE TENNESSEE

VALLEY. AHEAD OF THIS SYSTEM...MOISTURE WILL INCREASE ACROSS THE

STATE...AND LIGHT SHOWERS ARE ALREADY DEVELOPING OVER WESTERN

PORTIONS OF GEORGIA. AS THE UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE AND SURFACE

LOW TRACK CLOSER TO THE AREA ON SATURDAY...RAIN CHANCES WILL

INCREASE AND AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF RAIN CAN BE EXPECTED THROUGH

SATURDAY EVENING. THE HIGHEST RAINFALL AMOUNTS SHOULD REMAIN

ACROSS NORTH GEORGIA WITH 1 TO 1.5 INCHES OF RAIN EXPECTED. MOST

LOCATIONS WILL BE ABLE TO HANDLE THIS AMOUNT OF RAIN...EXCEPT

FOR SOME CREEKS AND RIVERS IN NORTHWEST GEORGIA.

* WITH THE GROUND SATURATED AND RECENT RIVER FLOODING IN NORTHWEST

GEORGIA...PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS INDICATED THERE IS THE

POTENTIAL FOR MINOR FLOODING AT A FEW SITES ALONG CREEKS AND

RIVERS ACROSS NORTHWEST GEORGIA. THIS INCLUDES PORTIONS OF

LOOKOUT CREEK...WEST AND SOUTH CHICKAMAUGA CREEK...COAHULLA

CREEK...AND THE CONASAUGA RIVER.

Picked up .3 with the first round this afternoon. Even made some puddles....now that's news around here. Rain in the low tenths leaving puddles. I bet the ground doesn't know what to make of this wet feeling it has had the last few weeks :) Tony

I had .18 when I got home from work about two hours ago. Not bad considering this is just getting cranked. Gonna be nice in the warm sector tomorrow with temps pushing 70 with thunderstorms!

nice rainy evening. Thunderstorms tomorrow in the Southeast, then strong damming Sunday after the backdoor front moves through, causing a damming event down to eastern/ne GA. Much of interior NC will drop into the upper 30's Sunday and hold there, even lower 30's for northern NC with strong damming event. Sunday is the day that a week ago looked like lower 70's in the Carolinas was possible.

post-38-0-62418200-1327114925.gif

nice rainy evening. Thunderstorms tomorrow in the Southeast, then strong damming Sunday after the backdoor front moves through, causing a damming event down to eastern/ne GA. Much of interior NC will drop into the upper 30's Sunday and hold there, even lower 30's for northern NC with strong damming event. Sunday is the day that a week ago looked like lower 70's in the Carolinas was possible.

Any Ice in N.NC tomorrow night? My sister lives near Staunton Va. just text me said it was snowing their but it's suppose to turn to ice.

Any Ice in N.NC tomorrow night? My sister lives near Staunton Va. just text me said it was snowing their but it's suppose to turn to ice.

Its going to be very close for the northern tier of Counties after tomorrow night, when the backdoor front comes through, and toward early Sunday morning. The GFS has dewpoints and temps around 33 for areas north of Greensboro most of the day, which is a close call, but probably not good enough for ice. For VA currently they are embedded much colder air , surface and aloft, but warming aloft will commence soon there, turning snow to sleet to ice, then rain south of central VA, until the system passes and a new high builds down tomorrow night and Sunday. Watch the GFS tonight to see how it shows the temps and damming Sunday. What are your current forecast highs Sunday?

Its going to be very close for the northern tier of Counties after tomorrow night, when the backdoor front comes through, and toward early Sunday morning. The GFS has dewpoints and temps around 33 for areas north of Greensboro most of the day, which is a close call, but probably not good enough for ice. For VA currently they are embedded much colder air , surface and aloft, but warming aloft will commence soon there, turning snow to sleet to ice, then rain south of central VA, until the system passes and a new high builds down tomorrow night and Sunday. Watch the GFS tonight to see how it shows the temps and damming Sunday. What are your current forecast highs Sunday?

Mid 30's tomorrow night, and SUNDAY...A SLIGHT CHANCE OF FREEZING DRIZZLE IN THE MORNING.

CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN SHOWERS. MUCH COOLER WITH HIGHS IN

THE LOWER 40S. EAST WINDS AROUND 10 MPH IN THE MORNING...BECOMING

LIGHT AND VARIABLE. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 40 PERCENT.

Mid 30's tomorrow night, and SUNDAY...A SLIGHT CHANCE OF FREEZING DRIZZLE IN THE MORNING.

CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN SHOWERS. MUCH COOLER WITH HIGHS IN

THE LOWER 40S. EAST WINDS AROUND 10 MPH IN THE MORNING...BECOMING

LIGHT AND VARIABLE. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 40 PERCENT.

the temps begin falling in your area after midnight tomorrow night and by sunrise the 32 degree line is very close. You shouldn't get much higher than mid to upper 30s. I'd say 36 to 38 for most of the day. The high will be 12:01 Sunday AM, and down from there.

Yeah Sunday is now supposed to be 42 for a high here but Sunday nights low is only forecast to be 41. In fact my forecast is another 7 day period without reaching 32 or below.

the temps begin falling in your area after midnight tomorrow night and by sunrise the 32 degree line is very close. You shouldn't get much higher than mid to upper 30s. I'd say 36 to 38 for most of the day. The high will be 12:01 Sunday AM, and down from there.

I hope I can make it down to 30-31 but I doubt it, the ole 33 and rain.... :cry:

Picked up another .2 since dusk, with some short lived, but very tropical, heavy downpours. I'm liking this frontispiece to this latest rain book :) T

Edit: Thanks, Justin. The new year has been better for sure. Gets me to 2.34 for the year, and tomorrow brings the big stuff, I hope. And next Sat. is looking great...if it happens, at all :)

I hope I can make it down to 30-31 but I doubt it, the ole 33 and rain.... :cry:

33 and drizzle more like it. :lmao: The precip looks like drizzle. The upper levels are actually pretty cold in west and northern NC Sunday at +2. Surface damming is classic and strong with a 1032 high in the Northeast all day, feeding low level damming. Temps still look on target for mostly upper 30s down toward CLT to mid 30s GSO region. Hard to see low 40's in your area, then again if its like my area, I'm sure the forecasts never go low enough in damming. GFS just can't be beat in NC on surface temps, esp. in damming.

post-38-0-97555100-1327119232.gif

post-38-0-54904400-1327119239.gif

Whelp, we just hit our high temperature in Columbus! Temperatures have been rising all night and we've climbed to 63. It's interesting to note, our record minimum temperature January 21st is 63. I think we'll manage to get below that but with dew points in the upper 50s to low 60s we won't fall much below it.

Archived