northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January Obs/Disco

buckeyefan1

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally broke out of the 40s!! We've been stuck there for over 24 hours (maybe longer...not sure).

We also got a bucket-load of rain. How much? I have no idea as the batteries are dead in the gauge. (batteries are on the list)

Saw a couple storms, nothing to write home about, but still.

**I did find out that our Husky loves thunder, though. :) Good dog for sure.

Quite a dreary day with only a high of 53 instead of the predicted 62. This makes around 4 days in a row that the forecasted high was not reached. Pretty much nothing more than the occasional shower every now and then before tapering off during the evening. 0.52" accumulated, which sets the monthly total at 2.22" so far.

Temp really dropping here (North of Raleigh). It will be interesting to see how much it can drop before mid-night. The lowest point before mid-night will be todays official low at RDU. Good chance that temp (right at mid-night) could be tomorrows high (at RDU).

Back yard temp at 8:45pm sitting at 41 degrees.

Yep, we are settling in for some good 'ole fashioned cold rain. The rain was really coming down earlier when I was out and about.

Exactly 25 years ago from right now, from northeast Georgia western SC and up the east coast was about to experience a big wet snowstorm. It began at 11 pm in my town at 41 degrees. I'm not sure of the dewpoints, but damming was involved as I recall watching TWC all day and Bill Keneely talking about dry dewpoints working down the east slopes of the Apps. Little did I know 15" would fall by morning. Nothing has beat that here since then. Thats a quarter century now. I feel old, but I remember that storm and days leading to it very well in high school. That also began a long period of mixed events, ice, more snow and many days missed from high school. A major sleet storm hit around Valentines day the next month, and several systems in between.

9,130 days ago :D

post-38-0-38071100-1327198929.gif

post-38-0-04591900-1327198927.gif

post-38-0-90568200-1327198930.gif

Exactly 25 years ago from right now, from northeast Georgia western SC and up the east coast was about to experience a big wet snowstorm. It began at 11 pm in my town at 41 degrees. I'm not sure of the dewpoints, but damming was involved as I recall watching TWC all day and Bill Keneely talking about dry dewpoints working down the east slopes of the Apps. Little did I know 15" would fall by morning. Nothing has beat that here since then. Thats a quarter century now. I feel old, but I remember that storm and days leading to it very well in high school. That also began a long period of mixed events, ice, more snow and many days missed from high school. A major sleet storm hit around Valentines day the next month, and several systems in between.

Great winter, I was in middle school (Winston-Salem), I swear we missed like 2 weeks of school in Jan/Feb.

It's hard to believe it's been 25 years since this event. I remember it very well. The forecast for my location was for rain from almost everyone. Only Charlie Gertz called for snow here and he was right. Only had about 7-8 inches here but got caught in a dry slot most of the night. Was out of school for the rest of the week. I also recall the sleet storm too. This was a busted forecast since it was only supposed to be rain but the CAD was simply overwhelming. Was 36 and rain at 7am, then down to 24 with sleet before 12 noon.

By the way, Bastardi was on 600 WSJS at the time and called for 8-10 inches on the 1/22/87 storm and NWS was NO WHERE near that. Really stuck his neck out on a storm that was not a slam dunk by any means. 50 miles to my SE there was very little snow. I agree with Foothills, nothing since 1/22/87 has really come close. 1/6/96 storm was close. It really caught a lot of people off guard around W-S.

Great winter, I was in middle school (Winston-Salem), I swear we missed like 2 weeks of school in Jan/Feb.

37 degrees now; 20 miles North of Raleigh at 10:30. Slight possibility of some light freezing drizzle tonight for northern NC.

RAH update:

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH SUNDAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --

AS OF 945 PM SATURDAY... THE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH AXIS AND CORE OF ASSOCIATED VORTICITY ARE CURRENTLY PASSING EAST OF THE TRIANGLE...WITH THE BACK OF A WEAK DEFORMATION RAIN BAND NOW PROGRESSING INTO THE COASTAL PLAIN. UPSTREAM SOUNDINGS AT KBNA AND KRNK SHOW SIGNIFICANTLY DRIER MID LEVEL AIR THAT IS NOW SEEN OVERSPREADING WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA ON WATER VAPOR IMAGERY. AT THE SURFACE...THE AIRMASS SURGING SOUTH THROUGH THE VA PIEDMONT...COURTESY OF A 1026MB HIGH OVER EASTERN QUEBEC...IS COLD. TEMPERATURES ALONG THE NC/VA BORDER ARE ALREADY IN THE MID 30S...WHICH IS ROUGHLY INLINE WITH THE MOST GUIDANCE. THERE IS A GENERAL CONSENSUS AMONG MODELS THAT LOWS OF 30 TO 32 WILL BE POSSIBLE FROM HENDERSON TO THE TRIAD. AS FOR RAIN CHANCES....MUCH OF THE OVERNIGHT PERIOD SHOULD FEATURE ISENTROPIC DOWNGLIDE...BEFORE MODELS SHOW WEAK AND VERY SHALLOW MOIST UPGLIDE RETURNING IN THE 09-12Z TIME FRAME. HOWEVER... SATURATION IS ONLY FORECAST TO REACH 5K FT...AND DRY AIR AND SUBSIDENCE IN THE MID LEVELS SHOULD MAKE IT HARD FOR ANYMORE THAN VERY LIGHT DRIZZLE TO BE PRODUCE...MAINLY OVER THE WESTERN PIEDMONT. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOME ELEVATED SURFACES MAY SEE A LIGHT GLAZE...ESPECIALLY METAL SURFACES...BUT THE AVAILABLE LIST AND MOISTURE DO NOT SEEM TO BE ENOUGH FOR ANY APPRECIABLE ICING. LOWS 32-39 NORTH TO SOUTH. -SMITH

Almost an inch of rain this morning if the airport is correct - maybe more here in Kingsport. You know if everyone didn't know ENSO numbers, many would say this weather is acting much more like a strong El Nino. After so many dry winters, walking through a soggy front yard every morning is a significant change. It's the second winter in a row that La Nina has not played by the rules. Cold last winter in the East. Very rainy this year. I wonder if the only commonality will be that the winters flipped at some point?

Getting freezing drizzle now. A little bit of glaze on the top of my trailer.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC

714 AM EST SUN JAN 22 2012

NCZ007>010-021>026-038>041-221500-

PERSON-GRANVILLE-VANCE-WARREN-FORSYTH-GUILFORD-ALAMANCE-ORANGE-

DURHAM-FRANKLIN-DAVIDSON-RANDOLPH-CHATHAM-WAKE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ROXBORO...OXFORD...HENDERSON...

WARRENTON...WINSTON-SALEM...GREENSBORO...HIGH POINT...

BURLINGTON...CHAPEL HILL...DURHAM...LOUISBURG...LEXINGTON...

ASHEBORO...PITTSBORO...RALEIGH

714 AM EST SUN JAN 22 2012

SPOTTY...VERY LIGHT DRIZZLE AND FREEZING DRIZZLE WILL BE POSSIBLE

THIS MORNING...AS TEMPERATURES HOVER AT OR JUST ABOVE 32 DEGREES

THROUGH AROUND 10 AM. DRIZZLE WILL BECOME MORE PREVALENT DURING

THE MIDDAY AND AFTERNOON HOURS...BUT TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO

BE ABOVE FREEZING BY THAT TIME. SOME LOCATIONS AFFECTED INCLUDE

THE NORTHERN AND NORTHWEST NC PIEDMONT...ROUGHLY ALONG AND

NORTHWEST OF THE INTERSTATE 85 CORRIDOR...INCLUDING WARRENTON...

HENDERSON...ROXBORO...DURHAM...BURLINGTON...LEXINGTON...AND THE

TRIAD. A VERY LIGHT GLAZE MAY OCCUR...MAINLY ON ELEVATED SURFACES

SUCH AS AUTOMOBILES...A FEW TREE LIMBS...RAILINGS...AND PERHAPS A

BRIDGE OR OVERPASS OR TWO.

$$

MWS

Archived