amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January Obs/Disco

buckeyefan1

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally made it to 39 here and the rain has only slowed up a time or two since daybreak. .65" so far here and still raining steady. Not sure about this moisture transport map but here it is, im assuming these areas in pink are getting the majority of the rain or something relative to that.

post-644-0-31808200-1327334813.jpg

Although we haven't gotten any winter weather from it, these last two wedges once again shows why i love them. It has been impressive how hard it has been to scour out the low level cold air and how far south it has gotten. Saw a steady temp drop all day yesterdeay/evening and got as low as 38.6. Finally starting to see the temp rise a little, up to 41 with a very good moderate rain at the moment. Recent rains have really saturated the ground for the first time in a long time and it's nice to see.

What I wouldn't give for a classic winter storm cad event though.

Goes to show how stout a CAD can be around here and no matter if all the blocks and pna's and ao's arent just right a CAD can deliver if strong enough. With as many "minor" cad's that we've had over the last few weeks we my be in store for a classic in the next month. I believe it was you that stated the other day that it's been 6 years since we've had a classic CAD winter event here, so id agree we are very over due!

1.5 inches of rain last night. I was glad to avoid the severe stuff. The rain magnet appears to still be firmly in place. Everything is insanely muddy and wet. Just a quick shower causes standing water everywhere.

We're seeing the same thing happen here. As of 8 am, my monthly total is at 4.03". Since December 1, 9.17" has fallen. For a Nina, this is almost unreal.

I've picked up an inch in the last hour! Can't remember how many years since that's happened. No mindless fixation on snow here! When your drought stricken, it's all about the rain, lol. 1.5 since yestday this time, and all yesterday was cad misty and drizzle amounting to .15. Today is the real deal :raining::thumbsup: , and a colder Feb coming. Got to enjoy the little stuff!! T

Edit : Dang, I just realized I'm over 4" for the year, and it's still raining....now I know my sleet storm is coming in Feb. for sure!!

Edit: Opps! Well, I was checking the front gauge which I'd forgotten to empty yesterday....so I've actually gotten 1/2" less than I thought, so I'm not quite to 4" yet...but it's still raining!! So sorry.

GSP was really behind the eight-ball today on this high impact dense fog event. When at 2:30 pm. CLT was reporting 0.2 miles visibility for three hours already, and GSP in their forecast discussion at that time still questioned whether a dense fog advisory would be necessary (and said probably not), and then finally relented and issued one at 6 p.m. (after nearly 6 hours of a major hub airport experiencing visibilities of <0.5 mile) but said it would last until a couple of hours after sunset, extending it to only 9 p.m...well, might as well not even try. This is the most significant daytime dense fog event in recent memory that I've witnessed for a portion of Piedmont NC.

It's nice to see so many getting rains where its needed. Received .26" for this event, which puts me near 3" on the month. Looks like atleast one more good event to go, so a normal month can be tacked on, which beats the many years in a row where I was below month. The ground since last year has been continually wet and since fall it's been extremely muddy and soggy, and any little rain event sends ditches full. All the rivers have improved tremendously since last year, esp during the Fall, and are actually staying up to near normal levels , which is longer than they would do during the El Nino event of 2009/10. It looks like we've built ground water tables up somewhat here, even though the 12 feet of water missing during the last 14 years will never be made up, but hopefully we don't go back to drought anytime soon. What we need now is cold air. The bugs and pests are going to be vicious once warm season comes in.

.28" from the storm here in Weaverville. I am at 3.28" for the month. Pushing 9.5" for Dec & Jan. By far the wettest for those 2 months since I moved here in 2003.

wow thats a lot for 2 months. How did you do during the Nino of 09/10? I agree, this is really a wet pattern in the mid South for sure. It reminds me of a Nino here with the regular intervals of rains.

wow thats a lot for 2 months. How did you do during the Nino of 09/10? I agree, this is really a wet pattern in the mid South for sure. It reminds me of a Nino here with the regular intervals of rains.

I don't know how much the airport got today but as of yest. we were beating them by a couple hundreths of a inch for the month. That is extremely unusual. As for 09/10 We had our biggest snow by far on Dec 18-19th with a eyelash short of 18". Alot of Buncombe got ZR for X-Mas eve into X-Mas morn. We got a good rain. Jan started very cold & dry. with about average moisture for the month. My record keeping hasn't been the best, but since Dec-Jan 03/04 we have averaged right around 3.5". We are def. short on Snow this year but have made up for it with copious amounts of rain. When I walk in the yard it is like walking on a sponge!

Well I put another .86" in the gauge today bringing January up to 3.05" I'm very pleased with the rainfall this month. Over the last few days I've racked up 1.69" of it. btw I love my new rain gauge, much more fun to know what fell imby and to post totals! It's also still extremely foggy today, the ride home from work was pretty with the way the light refract off the fog.

Well I put another .86" in the gauge today bringing January up to 3.05" I'm very pleased with the rainfall this month. Over the last few days I've racked up 1.69" of it. btw I love my new rain gauge, much more fun to know what fell imby and to post totals! It's also still extremely foggy today, the ride home from work was pretty with the way the light refract off the fog.

I love seeing you post your totals! It's fun comparing with someone who's just a few miles away.

I got .65" from the last event, 5.68" for the month- Dec-Jan total 11.54", my best two month stretch on over a year.

Interesting forecast dilemma coming up, as I pointed out in the meduim range thread. GFS, SREF and to a lesser extent the NAM not phasing the closed TX low with the northern stream as quickly- resulting in a heavier rain event. However, the Ukie, Euro and CMC all have the low phasing in faster with all the rain gone out of GA by Friday AM. A close call on this one but I am leaning towards the faster foreign models.

I got .65" from the last event, 5.68" for the month- Dec-Jan total 11.54", my best two month stretch on over a year.

Interesting forecast dilemma coming up, as I pointed out in the meduim range thread. GFS, SREF and to a lesser extent the NAM not phasing the closed TX low with the northern stream as quickly- resulting in a heavier rain event. However, the Ukie, Euro and CMC all have the low phasing in faster with all the rain gone out of GA by Friday AM. A close call on this one but I am leaning towards the faster foreign models.

Don't the models have a tendency to eject the SW's too quickly?

Archived