e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
January Obs/Disco

buckeyefan1

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made it up to 42.6 today under clear blue skies.

I've yet to see a snowflake this season apart from on TV. For all the complaining about the winter that seems to be going around, many (don't jump on that word: I said many, not all or most) of the posters in GA have at least seen a flake or two. East of the Apps in NC/SC, downsloping takes care of every last flake that might want to take a longer journey. :thumbsdown: These wrap-around moisture, clipper-type systems do seem to manage to force some flakes around the southern end of the Apps so that GA/AL/TN benefit. I'm not begrudging you your flakes, as I know I'll do better when (more like, if) we were to ever get a traditional GOM system to make the turn up the coast, but I want to urge you to at least appreciate the fact that you have seen a flake or two this season. Here in the shadow of the Blue Ridge it's been a flakeless winter. (I think a flake or two made it out to Mt. Airy once or twice, but that's about it. Wilkesboro is a different story too: truly in the foothills, not the piedmont.)

Having lived in Caldwell and Catawba counties for 30 years now, I'm used to it. Clippers never hold anything good for us, but that's just the way it is.

Watching and waiting for the next storm chance...

I turned on the snowgun at 5:15pm. There is currently 1.5" of wet snow and 0.5" of powder (wetter twd the gun, power away) across 10' x 30'. With the temps dropping to the low - mid teens, a foot or even two is a possibility. Going to keep making it through the night and till about 10am tomorrow. I think it could stay around 5 - 7 days (shaded of course).

Wetbulb: 23.6 F

Just got home from work. A cold day with a breeze to boot....brrr! Where is the damn cocoa? I have to say the 2m temp map that Robert posted from the GFS verified almost perfect. My high was 28.5° in Weaverville. I am curious to see how he did down towards Shelby vs GSP. Current temp is 24.0°. Wind has died off to about 0. 17° is the forecast low & I think we will beat it.

Just got home from work. A cold day with a breeze to boot....brrr! Where is the damn cocoa? I have to say the 2m temp map that Robert posted from the GFS verified almost perfect. My high was 28.5° in Weaverville. I am curious to see how he did down towards Shelby vs GSP. Current temp is 24.0°. Wind has died off to about 0. 17° is the forecast low & I think we will beat it.

About where I thought for today. Shelby hit 39, GSP had 41. Way below the forecast, per usual in cold advection schemes. Wonder why the upstate market keeps putting this region in upper 40's for the foothills and western SC following a strong cold fronts? I can't ever recall a forecast under what verifies. Statistically , that's amazing. Should happen 50% of the time.

post-38-0-88892300-1326514383.jpg

I still came in with an official high above normal with 50.4 at midnight. Low was also above normal at 29.7 unless it drops below that before midnight tonight. Currently 37.6.

Well I came in at 29.1 at midnight which was the low for day and right on the norm. For the day I was 1 degree above normal. Another week and my averages begin to climb.

About where I thought for today. Shelby hit 39, GSP had 41. Way below the forecast, per usual in cold advection schemes. Wonder why the upstate market keeps putting this region in upper 40's for the foothills and western SC following a strong cold fronts? I can't ever recall a forecast under what verifies. Statistically , that's amazing. Should happen 50% of the time.

post-38-0-88892300-1326514383.jpg

It's puzzling to me as well b/c it's been the case for every front this winter...4-10° below forecast after the front passes?

19 so far this morning...I must live in a favorable area east of the mountains to see snow...

Tonight

Mostly cloudy in the evening...then becoming partly cloudy. A 50 percent chance of snow showers. Snow accumulation up to 1 inch possible. Lows in the mid 20s. Light and variable winds.

19.2 this morning. You are in a lot better place than me east of the mountains... Last night they give me a 40% chance, This morning it's down to 20%. lol

Ive been making snow since 5:15pm yesterday... That is 5' 2" in the center surrounded by no less than 1' 3". There is nothing underneath the snow except ground. I will be making a jump into it later on this morning after the temps stop me from making more. Trying for 6'.

post-1288-0-23470700-1326550736.jpg

Video

I'm writing a dictionary and wonder if you will give me permission to use your post for the definition of obsession. :wacko:

Ive been making snow since 5:15pm yesterday... That is 5' 2" in the center surrounded by no less than 1' 3". There is nothing underneath the snow except ground. I will be making a jump into it later on this morning after the temps stop me from making more. Trying for 6'.

post-1288-0-23470700-1326550736.jpg

Video

NICE, i was at WCU back in 90, loved the area. Anyone know of any decent job openings in the Boone area??

Archived