e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
January Obs/Disco

buckeyefan1

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess it was not above the ground the whole time. From review, the strongest of

the g2g circulation was between 607 to 613 PM EST, almost right as it crossed

I-40 somewhere between Icard and Hildebran...or about 5 to 7 miles west of the

city center of Hickory. I know you cannot guess a tornado EF rating by radar, but

based upon the damage reports and rotation strength, this may have been bigger

than just a small spin-up. I hope everyone comes out of this ok.

The report of the mobile home and house damage is said to have begun at 607 PM,

and is located right where the radar showed the most obvious signature as well as

exactly the right time. A TOR was in effect and then re-issued before the tornado

arrived, which may have saved some lives here.

One of my cousins wrote on Facebook that the unconfirmed "tornado" went approximately by her home, about 100 feet from her home. Take that number with a grain of salt, because I am not quiet sure about the details. She says that there was an extremely loud roar as the family climbed into an interior closet. She claims it was the loudest thing she has ever heard. While there house was untouched, homes down the street were less fortunate. All she states is that neighbors down the street are home's are "really messed up."

I have a question about the events of the last hour or so. What changed to have severe south and west of me instead of the forecasted chances for severe south and east of me? If this is not in the correct thread, please move this.

Meteorological set-up is not my forte, but I believe since these events were created by a single storm cell,

that it likely ran into boundaries which combined with each other. A warm front may have been close by,

because even in an environment not meant for active severe weather, a storm could begin to rotate and

continue to rotate for a little while if it rides along the location of the warm front.

Again, I am not entirely sure, but this is one possibility as to why this storm did what it did. Also, if the warm

front had already passed the area south and east, this may have lessened the threat down there as well.

Not exactly one to be proud of but accorinding to Brad Panovich (twitter account) and Dr. Greg Forbes who's with Jim Cantore and other Meteorologists at a weather convention in Colorado...history was made tonight in the North Carolina Foothills...

Just showed pictures to @drgregforbes he says this is the only tornado every reported in Rutherford or Burke Co. in Jan ever!

In fact he looked at the NCDC data base & couldn't find a tornado in those counties in Nov, Dec, Jan or Feb ever. #ncwx

Just saw the local news. the images are incredible. This is just my observation, but I think it's probably around EF2 damage. The news reporter was standing on a wooden stairway leading to the entrance of a house. The house was not at the end of the stairs, it was completely gone.

Agree. For damage in Rutherford county you can go to wlso 13 online. They are reporting 4-5 homes totally destoried with 10 in th hospital ....

New details this morning. National Weather Service to be in the county to determine if tornado caused the damage. Based on everything I see and hear, its hard to believe that it was not a tornado. http://hildebrannews.blogspot.com/2012/01/update-nws-to-be-in-burke-county-today.html

Thunder yesterday here at 3:30p or so (seemed to develop east and south of me more, which makes sense, given what happened in Burke and Rutherford), and I picked up 1.25 inces of rain with the system. Might see some flakes tonight...depends on the the flow direction as much as anything...

forecast highs for my area are mid 40's Friday . Once again the GFS differs, so do all the other models. This is impressive cold advection, so for the western piedmont of NC I'm going with upper 30s to near 40 Shelby to Charlotte.

At first, I thought those temp maps were showing vastly different solutions due to the different colors. Then, I looked at the scale and noticed the colors indicate different temps for each map. Why would the same site (Plymouth) use different colors to indicate different temps on different model maps? Just wondering...

Edit: One more thing: Does AVN refer to the GFS, as you mentioned in your post, or is it some other model that I'm not familiar with?

.30 for me and CAE recorded .40 :) better than I expected :thumbsup:

Way to go!! Maybe the turn around has started for you too. I'm glad to see some gulf storms on the maps.... of course they come and go from run to run, but the idea is there :) I'm at 59 and heavy clouds, expect about as much flurry activity here as a sudden super nova, but I ran out the snow dancers to enhance the chances for those north of me who are melting down, lol. Clipper snow is as rare as hens teeth south of lake Allatoona. T

Just talked to a friend northeast of Nashville and he mentioned to me that they had a quick burst of snow (enough to whiten the ground in spots with the front. Had stopped snowing ATM, but the radar has filled in from Clarksville all the way back to western KY. Will be interesting to hear from him if that has anything other than very light snows in it.

Archived