amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January Obs/Disco

buckeyefan1

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently very very foggy. Rain off and on, currently on, temp of 38 degrees.

Low of 46.4 this morning. Around a 0.20 - 0.35" across the county the past two days. Looking for more this Wednesday.

Met 1985, you had asked about posting pics the other day. Go down to the bottom of the page and click "More Reply Options" and below it you will find where to add attachments, which are pics.

Also, you should be looking fwd to this Wed - Thurs event with excitement. Based off your last NW flow observation, I would say accumulation is possible for your location. :snowing:

My parents actually have pictures out in South West Texas of it snowing when they went for Christmas. Very rare out there but they are probably going to end up with more than us.

I remember some 80's storms growing up watching the weather channel and always thought how when El Paso and Lubbock gets snow, we've got to too. It happened a lot, turns out we did end up getting snow on 2 of those Winters if I recall.

First measurable rain of the year....a meager 0.03 overnight...temp is currently 45F with 88% RH.

Traveled over the divide yesterday afternoon to Ridgecrest/Black Mountain, and noted that rain began in earnest as I gained altitude and diminished on the Buncombe side as I came down the mountain, though still somewhat wetter over there than here...

getting on and off rain this morning, but the fog is amazing - so dense you can hardly see the road 50 feet in front of the car! temps are fairly mild though in the 50s. a year ago about this time we were shivering from cold and dealing with snow and ice :)

CHS discussion:

IT/LL BE ANOTHER UNSEASONABLY WARM DAY...WITH TEMPS SOME 13-18

DEGREES ABOVE SEASONAL NORMS. IN FACT WE/LL BE CLOSE TO RECORD

HIGHS AT KCHS /76 SET IN 2008 AND PREVIOUS YEARS/...KCHL /76 SET

IN 1974/...AND KSAV /77 SET IN 2008 AND PREVIOUS YEARS/. GIVEN

THAT LOW LEVEL THICKNESS IS SUPPORTIVE OF THESE VALUES AND

INSOLATION IS TURNING OUT GREATER THAN ORIGINALLY

ANTICIPATED...WE/LL RAISE MAX TEMPS AWAY FROM THE BEACHES TO THE

MID AND UPPER 70S! THIS IS JANUARY? IT FEELS MORE LIKE MAY!

Whooo! :lmao:

Misty and chilly is the best way to describe the current conditions out here. The low 50s looked doable (not so much anymore) so now it looks like 47 ends up being the high around here.

Agree 100%. It's just enough rain to be annoying, but not enough to really do anything. I have 0.06 in the gauge so far today, and that's simply the result of constant drizzle since late morning. Very cool and dreary outside. Looks and feels like January. I just wish it was 15 degrees colder: high of 47.1, currently 45.8.

Statement as of 8:27 PM EST on January 09, 2012

... Areas of dense fog expected through early morning...

Fog will be dense across portions of the area... especially higher

elevations through early overnight. If traveling... expect to

encounter areas where visibilities rapidly drop to under a quarter

mile. Slow down and use your low beam headlights.

CAE has 61 and it is muggy, but no a/c running today :thumbsup:

Picked up another .23 today which got me up to .47. If the Wed storm verifies by giving me up to an inch, I'll be believing the gfs a bit more in the short term :) It did pretty good with the last few days, though the Wed. storm has varied in track and qpf over the last few days. It's been there a while since it moved from today to Wed. Makes me think the weekend storm might still reappear, but maybe not 'till after the next one, and maybe moved a day or two. Tony

Fogtastic out there...

...DENSE FOG ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 AM EST THIS MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RALEIGH HAS ISSUED A DENSE FOG

ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 AM EST THIS MORNING.

* LOCATION...FOR THE CENTRAL PIEDMONT...SANDHILLS AND COASTAL PLAIN

* VISIBILITIES...VISIBILITIES WILL BE QUARTER OF A MILE OR LESS

AT TIMES.

I'll be looking forward to it, it's going to take a while to make it this way. There is a lot of time for things to go wrong, I hope it all holds together in a nice solid blob. NWS going with 3/4- 1 1/4 storm totals for mby, I hope it verifies!

Glad to see youve backed away from the edge! With that new gauge you've got Steve and I will be needing your rain obs., not to mention that treatese on The Heat Island Effect you'll be writing someday.

Got rain at my doorstep, and I'm hoping for a few wet few days to add to my totals. "Getting out of the drought one rain drop at a time"! A balmy 59 at the moment. Tony

Glad to see youve backed away from the edge! With that new gauge you've got Steve and I will be needing your rain obs., not to mention that treatese on The Heat Island Effect you'll be writing someday.

Got rain at my doorstep, and I'm hoping for a few wet few days to add to my totals. "Getting out of the drought one rain drop at a time"! A balmy 59 at the moment. Tony

:thumbsup: 60.3 right now, awaiting the rains to fill my gauge! I keep hinting to the fiance that I want to move farther north, away from the Heat Island and closer to the snow. I suggested Syracuse, NY and got a nasty look so I think I'll set my sights a little lower lol... Although a big part of me hopes she gets a job offer that we can't pass up in a cold, snowy place.

:thumbsup: 60.3 right now, awaiting the rains to fill my gauge! I keep hinting to the fiance that I want to move farther north, away from the Heat Island and closer to the snow. I suggested Syracuse, NY and got a nasty look so I think I'll set my sights a little lower lol... Although a big part of me hopes she gets a job offer that we can't pass up in a cold, snowy place.

Joe keeps telling me he has space in his dungeon, but I've passed on the offer, thus far. I prefer my "give up and drool" method.

Cloud deck has lowered nicely. Looks like some big rains are possible soon, but , lord knows I've learned to mistrust the radar these past few years. Hard to see how this can miss me, but I've seen it happen before :) T

Joe keeps telling me he has space in his dungeon, but I've passed on the offer, thus far. I prefer my "give up and drool" method.

Cloud deck has lowered nicely. Looks like some big rains are possible soon, but , lord knows I've learned to mistrust the radar these past few years. Hard to see how this can miss me, but I've seen it happen before :) T

I'll take Snojoe's location in a heartbeat. I prefer not to live in a dungeon but perhaps I can work something out.

A glorious shield of rain is headed our way, bring it!

Archived