joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Nov 27 - Nov 30 Storm obs

NavarreDon

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone! I just wish it would have snowed that hard for longer than 2 min. LOL. Too bad most of you upstream are just going to get rain.:thumbsdown::gun_bandana:

Personally I don't like ULL for snow as too many people get shafted (I was all rain in March of 2009) and the boundary layer is almost always an issue. Maybe if I "cash in" on an ULL snow I will feel differently.

But with this situation anyone who does see any flakes outside of the mountains should feel lucky as it's not often to get snow on the south side of a ULL around these parts.

Yep , closed low tracks are everything and this one actually did a bonus by slinging the moisture nicely to its south and southeast. I'm a little surprised you didn't get more snow versus rain though.

all rain this morning. looked like maybe a wet flake once or twice, but it was so hard to tell i dont count it lol. its cold and wet, just not cold and white :(

edited: i spoke too soon lol. getting a bit heavier precip and it is going between rain and snow. so i did finally see some snow flakes

So now you've seen some snow!

I am content. I was just out on the mower cutting up the latest leaves when I drove through a fusillade of mini sleets. Maybe 23 in number. They were bouncing off my coat like particles in a collider. It was happy times for about a minute :) T

Excellent. November sleet.

Nothing but rain here today, and I was all over uptown running my dad around.Got soaked, with a chilly 40 degree rain. But that's all I was expecting here. I'm sure there are spots of wet flakes mixing in.

Disappointed we didn't get more snow this morning. The best I got was about a 10 second burst of 50/50 rain and snow, but other than that it was all or mostly rain. I guess it was just a little to warm at the surface for a full changeover? Can a met give me a brief explanation of what the models missed? I suppose I'm lucky just to see a few flakes at all. I'm sure we'll have a chance or two in December.

Yep , closed low tracks are everything and this one actually did a bonus by slinging the moisture nicely to its south and southeast. I'm a little surprised you didn't get more snow versus rain though.

It did pretty much snow on and off all day but it was mostly very light. It did get moderate a few times like that pic I took.

Overall I thought the snow would be steadier versus the short bursts. My QPF from the snow/sleet was .06" which was about what the models were showing. My temp never dropped below 34.

Finally got some good action. After watching it try really hard from about 11:00 on. About 30 min ago sky got darker and then started sleeting really hard. It took about 7-8 min and it changed over to heavy snow. (quarter size flakes) Not as heavy now but still going. Car roofs, trees, grass snow covered. Driveway is wet & slushy. Wind also made the turn from SE to NW temp is 35.2......Nov. snow :thumbsup:

I wonder if we were downsloped here in Johnson City?? Total for the day was .08. Total for the storm was .29. Yes, I said .29.

I do remember a snowstorm from the early 90s while i was in college at ETSU where we were projected to get a huge snowstorm. Initial Winter Storm Warnings were placed for 12-16 inches projected from 24-36 hours out. Then I woke up the day of the storm and listened to my weather radio, I think I had slept with it so I'd have it handy right when i woke up (yes, I was a dork back then too) To my delight, they had upped the WSW totals from 12-16 to 16-20. I was pumped. By 10am, I knew something was wrong. It had warmed into the mid 30s and we had drizzle and mist falling. It only lightly rained that day and i think our total rain amount was about .20 for the entire storm.

This is the first storm that underproduced here in johnson city wrt qpf this fall. I also hope it's the last this late fall and winter season.

I wonder if we were downsloped here in Johnson City?? Total for the day was .08. Total for the storm was .29. Yes, I said .29.

I do remember a snowstorm from the early 90s while i was in college at ETSU where we were projected to get a huge snowstorm. Initial Winter Storm Warnings were placed for 12-16 inches projected from 24-36 hours out. Then I woke up the day of the storm and listened to my weather radio, I think I had slept with it so I'd have it handy right when i woke up (yes, I was a dork back then too) To my delight, they had upped the WSW totals from 12-16 to 16-20. I was pumped. By 10am, I knew something was wrong. It had warmed into the mid 30s and we had drizzle and mist falling. It only lightly rained that day and i think our total rain amount was about .20 for the entire storm.

This is the first storm that underproduced here in johnson city wrt qpf this fall. I also hope it's the last this late fall and winter season.

Yeah the winds came off of the mountains for a lot of Sunday and Monday and killed our heavy rain chances. Some sleet/snow mixed with the rain today so this is the second time this year that has happened before December so I guess that is a bonus.

been trying to time getting a Christmas tree in the snow for years. Have had it spit on us on the way home a little, but today we went to Blairsville and has some light snow flurries on the way up, while we were picking out the tree, and then also a few strays on the way home. Got a huge 11ft Blue Spruce for $59 because it had a bad side (which will go in the corner anyway), and then ate way too much pizza at hometown pizza in B-ville. Good times.

Would have took a picture but you have to have a blizzard for snow to show up on an iphone 3. It was pretty much white all over the place, except for the road, at the top of Blood Mountain.

Now that's a tree :lol:

Got an inch and a half of snow...I'm happy.

Awesome :thumbsup:

Yeah the winds came off of the mountains for a lot of Sunday and Monday and killed our heavy rain chances. Some sleet/snow mixed with the rain today so this is the second time this year that has happened before December so I guess that is a bonus.

The valleys were certainly a victim of the southerly wind flow, but decent amounts of rain still fell, especially close to the border. My storm total is up to .85" of liquid (.74" at 7 am observation), and a fellow Unicoi Co. CoCoRaHS observer had .92" as of 7 am. Yesterday was an odd day; the heavier showers squeaked over the border after about 11am, and eroded away as they moved north. The sun was out during a heavy shower more than once. Today, precipitation has been scarce outside of the mountains. I made the five-mile trip to the top of TN 395 twice today, seeing heavy snow at the top both times. At 9:30 pm, two to three inches had fallen. I've seen but a trace of snow here, at 2000'.

Archived