gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Irene Damage Thread............Oh Yeah!

Mr Torchey

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is this house on Farmington Ave down the street from my house, like a 10-12 minute walk or so, but I've walked by it every day on the way to work. Anyways, a massive limb snapped off at the base of a tree and fell into the neighboring houses yard, it took down power lines and landed just above the two cars parked in the driveway. IF it wasn't for the lines the two cars would be totaled. It's also on part of the house.

I don't know if the people are home or what but there has been zero effort to remove anything and everything appears untouched. Not sure if the neighbors have reported anything or what. There is yellow caution tape, however, blocking the yard off.

I posted a pic of it yesterday.

The point is that with all these out of state crews somebody from CL&P has to be there. And since they're arguably understaffed, you can have as many crews as you want - but if they don't have a CL&P person they can't work. That is what I have been told by 3 seperate CL&P workers. Maybe they will let them veer off from that considering the circumstances, but who knows.

I don't know if CMP in Maine has the same general policy, but in 1998 the 1,000+ crews from other states (and NB/NS) were pretty much out on their own. I'm sure CMP assigned work areas and had continued communications with all crews, their own and others, but we never saw any kind of crews-here-but-not-allowed-to-work bottlenecks.

Sure Steve, but I also don't believe the magnitude of this thing can be ignored. Would more CLP workers have been the complete answer?

Maybe.

Would there even have been enough equipement for them?

Maybe.

What skill level would these workers have been at if we had similar ratios as other states, and would guys have just been getting in each other's way if not able to go out to a damaged site on their own, without someone of a higher management level involved? I don't know what having 1 worker for 400 customers means vs. 1-200? Does this mean there are more apprentice types, or people who can really get things done? Seeing stats like that is only part of the picture.

People can go on and on about this, that, etc. In the end everyone's hindsight is always 20/20.

My problem is that people are always quick to blame after the fact. Maybe there should be more public outcry in advance. Maybe there has been. All I know is what i read in bits and pieces from biased news sources, as well as what I hear from my CL&P worker friends. In the end, I don't think the public really can get an honest answer from anyone.

The fact is this storm did a sh*t load of damage, and whether or not the electric companies need to have a permanant staff on board to deal with a once in a 10 plus year storm is up for debate.

I think the general sentiment is more "We pay the highest rates in the country, yet this is the response we get?"

Just got my power and internet back (I'm about 5 miles west of Ginx), nasty event, I was at the fd for Gloria and we ran some assorted wires down calls, nothing major. This one we ran 2 house fires and a few near misses due to low voltage until we could snag a CL&P crew to pull the fuses and kill everything. Lots of road closures and people needing help.

Just got my power and internet back (I'm about 5 miles west of Ginx), nasty event, I was at the fd for Gloria and we ran some assorted wires down calls, nothing major. This one we ran 2 house fires and a few near misses due to low voltage until we could snag a CL&P crew to pull the fuses and kill everything. Lots of road closures and people needing help.

Cool saw my first trucks and log skitters in Plainfield today, good news.

It is my opinion there were multiple spin ups in the worst hit areas, official gusts seem low for the amount of damage I saw. On A side street next to Moosup Pond all trees are facing south down, on Squaw Rock they are facing NW. When the crap hit the fan in my hood the trees exhibited wildly changing directions with a calm period then boom again. I suspect the worse damage was done in a one and a half hour period in ECT when ine spiral band rotated in off the Atlantic. Have not seen any mention of tornado, just something I am speculating about.

Ginx, how did the museum fare? Lotta glass and roof.

Did the tower record any good gusts?

Highest gust on the Davis at museum roof top was 46, top of tower 71. No external damage but lots of electrical blown motors, fused relays, contacts from multiple surges and single phasing. I am totally physically and mentally shot from home and work. Heading to Manchester Lowes in the AM for a generator. Already phone bought, just something else to do. All trees cut up and stacked, estimates on house waiting for adjuster.

Cool saw my first trucks and log skitters in Plainfield today, good news.

Just got back from New London area and saw a massive staging area in the Westbrook mall parking lot. They had buses, a ton of those big construction lights lighting up the parking lot, and trucks that filled the entire parking lot surrounding the movie theater and part of the mall. On the way back down here, saw several convoys of tree and CL&P trucks on their way north, presumably to that staging area. Looks like they're gonna make a huge push tomorrow.

Highest gust on the Davis at museum roof top was 46, top of tower 71. No external damage but lots of electrical blown motors, fused relays, contacts from multiple surges and single phasing. I am totally physically and mentally shot from home and work. Heading to Manchester Lowes in the AM for a generator. Already phone bought, just something else to do. All trees cut up and stacked, estimates on house waiting for adjuster.

I thought you had one... it means you get power at noontime. Sorta like my alligator repellant

This was a TS when it made landfall. The surge was obviously stronger than a TS because the pressure was so low, and the surge takes a while to lower. However, lets face it...we're screwed if a Cat II hit CT again. Rainfall impacts would be similar since the difference between a TS and Cat II are about the same in that department, but the wind impacts from winds that are even 30-40 mph more than what we faced would be devastating. In a way, this storm was a wake up call for emergency planners.

Exactly. I ate at the Chart Room tonight in Cataumet. Any of you that have been there will know the "hurricane bob" high water mark in the restartaunt at about chest level. This storm didn't even get onto the lawn. YET, it was impressive nonetheless for a tropical storm. It was a wakeup call to how venerable our shorelines are now with all the homes, boats etc. It's a wakeup call to how our infrastructure is aging and how our utilities are all about profit and run with so few staff members they cannot get the job done without mutual assist. When that isn't possible it's a cluster.

A serious Cat II will make this look like a terrible noreaster if it hits the same reas. I shudder to think how bad the big one will be.

As some hurricane forecasters have noted, storms like this make a really good case for not ranking hurricanes by category in the NE, but by the amount of flooding potential they have. Clearly, that's the number one killer up here.

The topography of Florida is a lot different from ours. The reason we are a lot more vulnerable is due to the nature of our land and our foliage-- the standards which apply down south for damage do not and will NEVER apply here. We simply need a different way for assessing these storms for our region.

Just got back from New London area and saw a massive staging area in the Westbrook mall parking lot. They had buses, a ton of those big construction lights lighting up the parking lot, and trucks that filled the entire parking lot surrounding the movie theater and part of the mall. On the way back down here, saw several convoys of tree and CL&P trucks on their way north, presumably to that staging area. Looks like they're gonna make a huge push tomorrow.

Staging area at the Waterford Speedbowl as well.

Archived