• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Irene Damage Thread............Oh Yeah!

Mr Torchey

Major highways are still a disaster out here. Rt 2 west closed at Charlemont, no way around it.

I-91 S still closed between Greenfield and Deerfield. major headache.

Anyone who wants another storm like this I hope you get to experience the type of flooding that was seen from here N & W.

No power for a few days is one thing. Homes, businesses and roads washed away sucks and I imagine the storm cheerleaders out there would be the first to cry like babies if they went through it.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the general sentiment is more "We pay the highest rates in the country, yet this is the response we get?"

Yes. I get that, and am playing devil's advocate with my comments.

We could go on and on about the reasons for the company to this and that, including huge pay rates on the top of the scale vs. the lower end of the scale, union pressures, etc. The union side of the discussion is a whole other story and plays a big role in the lack of personell as well. So many factors, and a great debate/ discussion to have, but not in this forum. I did not mean to drag it on.

Major highways are still a disaster out here. Rt 2 west closed at Charlemont, no way around it.

Anyone who wants another storm like this I hope you get to experience the type of flooding that was seen from here N & W.

No power for a few days is one thing. Homes, businesses and roads washed away sucks and I imagine the storm cheerleaders out there would be the first to cry like babies if they went through it.

I drove through that area on Tuesday during our trip home from Vermont. Mold is going to be a big issue, as it's already pungent in several areas. My thoughts are with you guys. Best of luck!

Is it the Deerfield river causing the flooding there?

91 - yes - it was in the newspaper today that the Northbound lanes would reopen - but the Southbound lanes "settled" during a flood in 1987 and have to be inspected before being reopened.

None of the networks here are covering the floods so people in eastern mass have no clue, unfortunately. I get more info here.

I never saw much of any flash floods before this event, so it was an eye opener for me. Nothing happened imby, but places I've lived and worked in the past are devastated. Things like this never register fully until they hit home though. Water moving like that is terrifying and the effects are as bad as they come, death by drowning if a person is sucked in and completely destroyed structures.

None of the networks here are covering the floods so people in eastern mass have no clue, unfortunately. I get more info here.

Strange....they were all over the tornado. There were more of them than our own media for that. There are several other roads that are closed and Leyden, Heath, Ashfield, and Shelburne (and I'm sure I'm leaving some out) are particularly hard-hit towns.

Strange....they were all over the tornado. There were more of them than our own media for that. There are several other roads that are closed and Leyden, Heath, Ashfield, and Shelburne (and I'm sure I'm leaving some out) are particularly hard-hit towns.

They talked about VT, but I didn't see much about western mass. Maybe I missed it or something, but I honestly didn't see much about it.

The damage there is pretty said. Just imagine something stronger.

Yeah I just went around the areas I grew up. You should see the stuff from East Haven and Milford. Some houses just totally gone.

Worst surge since 1938 around New Haven... I think we've been lucky in many respects since then.

People are getting impatient. Governor Malloy (CT) was not well received in Ledyard yesterday per the local newspaper. It's very hard to see homes around the corner with electricity, while no power company crews are anywhere near you.

The linemen are working their butts off but the amount off damage in some towns is overwhelming. In Old Lyme, I know of people (without power) who are having cookouts for the linemen. Blame the execs if you must, but the folks doing the real work are fighting exhaustion.

People are getting impatient. Governor Malloy (CT) was not well received in Ledyard yesterday per the local newspaper. It's very hard to see homes around the corner with electricity, while no power company crews are anywhere near you.

The linemen are working their butts off but the amount off damage in some towns is overwhelming. In Old Lyme, I know of people (without power) who are having cookouts for the linemen. Blame the execs if you must, but the folks doing the real work are fighting exhaustion.

I was just over there last night. The funny thing is it looks like the infrastructure is in pretty good shape. I didn't see any trees on wires, wires down, or poles bent over or snapped. My guess is the section of town without power gets it from East Lyme's direction, and I hear there are some issues over that way, so things may just come on in large chunks at once as opposed to incrementally as it has in Saybrook. I did see trucks in town, and Tanger Outlet has a large staging area as does the Speedbowl, so the resources are around. It just may be a matter of getting things connected upstream. I visited further north and east as well, and there it's a mess with regard to trees, lines, poles, etc.

I was just over there last night. The funny thing is it looks like the infrastructure is in pretty good shape. I didn't see any trees on wires, wires down, or poles bent over or snapped. My guess is the section of town without power gets it from East Lyme's direction, and I hear there are some issues over that way, so things may just come on in large chunks at once as opposed to incrementally as it has in Saybrook. I did see trucks in town, and Tanger Outlet has a large staging area as does the Speedbowl, so the resources are around. It just may be a matter of getting things connected upstream. I visited further north and east as well, and there it's a mess with regard to trees, lines, poles, etc.

Guilford and Branford are a mess once you get off route 1. Some neighborhoods have 4 or 5 poles snapped with trees tangled in wires etc. It's worse than I thought it would be.

Surge damage and erosion also worse than I thought it would be.

Nope I don't think it's a problem with a connection between Old Lyme and East Lyme... I live sort of between the two and a bit to the north but our power comes from down on Rt 1 between the two towns and we got it back Sunday. They've got power down at Lasville/Coffees too. There was a big tree down on the lines on Rt 1 and then more on Rt 156. Some side streets have multiple trees down while in other areas the side streets are fine.

It's crazy driving around on some of the side streets.. some of them are still complete disaster areas and are blocked off or you have to drive under big oaks laying on the lines. It seems like some spots in town have much more damage than others.

Exactly right...sub-station is at Exit 75 (I think) in East Lyme.

Archived