wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Irene Damage Thread............Oh Yeah!

Mr Torchey

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damage now stands at 941 broken poles, 3,404 sections of downed wire, 623 broken transformers and 2,045 closed roads across our service territory. We continue to help clear roads across the state. We have helped clear 1,526 roads so far, and another 519 still remain blocked.

How do 519 roads remain blocked? Nobody has a chainsaw? That's mind blowing.

I know, apparently the state will not touch trees with lines on them. Why didn't the Gov call out the Nat Guard and have them clear streets, amazing discontinuity of resources.

They were out... but they don't touch trees with wires on them.

I personally think CL&P's priority should be to clear all roads first and then begin the restoration effort. My parent's road was just cleared yesterday... DPW was ready to clear it Sunday night but couldn't until CL&P got there.

I know, apparently the state will not touch trees with lines on them. Why didn't the Gov call out the Nat Guard and have them clear streets, amazing discontinuity of resources.

We didn't have many trees downed here but when the '08 icestorm shattered GC everybody got out there and sliced and diced. Of course here most everybody has a trusty gun and a trusty chainsaw. CT sounds like an even more fooked up place than I thought it was. I could help you find a place here in GC Ginx.

This storm was a wakeup call for all these states/power companies etc., to get their fooking act together and have a plan when a disaster strikes. They are lucky that Irene was a weakening TS when it hit. Dam lucky.

This storm was a wakeup call for all these states/power companies etc., to get their fooking act together and have a plan when a disaster strikes. They are lucky that Irene was a weakening TS when it hit. Dam lucky.

Yeah no kidding. The worst part is there's only so much you can do. Northeast Utilities is a private company with shareholders to answer to. They try to keep costs down and probably don't employ nearly as many linesmen as they should.

I think as a whole the state and towns did a great job protecting life with evacuations and getting people out of harms way and getting food and resources to people who needed it. Unfortunately only strict regulation will probably improve the problems with the power infrastructure... and getting roads back open with trees wrapped in wires and broken utility poles.

They were out... but they don't touch trees with wires on them.

I personally think CL&P's priority should be to clear all roads first and then begin the restoration effort. My parent's road was just cleared yesterday... DPW was ready to clear it Sunday night but couldn't until CL&P got there.

If a power guy was assigned with each crew then its done. We saw no nat guard anywhere up here. Millions and millions spent on homeland security and one TS creates havoc. I am not complaining about power but more about how long it has taken to clear roads and fix infrastructure. The entire emergency mgmt system failed at one point in my town, overwhelmed. pretty sad

We didn't have many trees downed here but when the '08 icestorm shattered GC everybody got out there and sliced and diced. Of course here most everybody has a trusty gun and a trusty chainsaw. CT sounds like an even more fooked up place than I thought it was. I could help you find a place here in GC Ginx.

We are looking soon, have to get out of this state, way too expensive.

If a power guy was assigned with each crew then its done. We saw no nat guard anywhere up here. Millions and millions spent on homeland security and one TS creates havoc. I am not complaining about power but more about how long it has taken to clear roads and fix infrastructure. The entire emergency mgmt system failed at one point in my town, overwhelmed. pretty sad

That is pretty sad but from what I've seen that's the exception rather than the rule. Most people in E CT that I've spoken with covering the storm said they were impressed with the town and state getting resources to them right after the storm and getting people out with medical issues. Everyone's biggest gripe is getting power restored and CL&P crews not getting to towns for days to let the towns clear roads. I think the blame clearly lies on one company for that.

On most shoreline towns the cleanup from the towns has been incredible considering the amount of surge damage to roads and buildings.

I will also say that I think people have a responsibility to be prepared for a week without power. Leading up to the storm we were telling people to expect to be without power for a week and have the supplies to deal with that.

Even if I had a chainsaw, I sure as heck wouldn't want to touch a tree that's laying on wires. Who knows if those lines are live. Too risky.

Yeah no kidding. The worst part is there's only so much you can do. Northeast Utilities is a private company with shareholders to answer to. They try to keep costs down and probably don't employ nearly as many linesmen as they should.

I think as a whole the state and towns did a great job protecting life with evacuations and getting people out of harms way and getting food and resources to people who needed it. Unfortunately only strict regulation will probably improve the problems with the power infrastructure... and getting roads back open with trees wrapped in wires and broken utility poles.

Heard through the grapevine that National Grid was not prepared for this storm. I don't understand, because they had to know that 60+mph winds and fully leafed trees = widespread outages. Many times when utility companies prepare for disasters, they call up other companies and actually plan around when the storm will arrive and leave so they can get guys into the problem zones. It sounds like they never had a complete plan of action. I don't know.

Even if I had a chainsaw, I sure as heck wouldn't want to touch a tree that's laying on wires. Who knows if those lines are live. Too risky.

Yeah and the towns won't either. If you want to make the argument that CL&P should have more resources at their disposal and not rely on mutual aid as much from surrounding utilities I think that's a fair and valid argument.

I don't think that there was a major emergency management breakdown in the state when the evacuations went exceedingly well, municipalities and the state and national guard were able to distribute supplies nearly seamlessly from Rentschler Field to affected towns within 24 hours, and towns cleared roads that did not have wires on them within hours in most cases.

So I'm not sure there was a communications breakdown between the different layers of government it seems to me the breakdown was with CL&P not having the manpower to help individual towns out clear rural roads. I will also say that my parents have multiple trees, wires, and utility poles broken on their street and everyone was taking it in stride and said (even as of Friday) that this is the price you pay for living in a relatively rural area on the shoreline.

I had to grab lines from my house to prevent trucks from pulling the wires across my yard with the service pole attached. i only did this after 4 calls to local, state, clp.no response by day three. A tractor trailer caught one of the lines as my wife, grandson with dogs were outside, she was preparing lunch on the grill , it started to tighten and wildly pull the service pole, it certainly would have hurt them, luckily it fell off his top exhaust pipe. I could not allow that to happen, so I checked it for being dead then said f it and tied the line to a tree with a bungee cord. We sawed and cut many trees so roads could open, zero help, but thats what we do to help each other. Heading home to tarp the roof before the rain comes, still waiting on adjuster.

Yeah and the towns won't either. If you want to make the argument that CL&P should have more resources at their disposal and not rely on mutual aid as much from surrounding utilities I think that's a fair and valid argument.

I don't think that there was a major emergency management breakdown in the state when the evacuations went exceedingly well, municipalities and the state and national guard were able to distribute supplies nearly seamlessly from Rentschler Field to affected towns within 24 hours, and towns cleared roads that did not have wires on them within hours in most cases.

So I'm not sure there was a communications breakdown between the different layers of government it seems to me the breakdown was with CL&P not having the manpower to help individual towns out clear rural roads. I will also say that my parents have multiple trees, wires, and utility poles broken on their street and everyone was taking it in stride and said (even as of Friday) that this is the price you pay for living in a relatively rural area on the shoreline.

what supplies, geez I missed this, was there a distribution area in eCT?

The crackling bluewhite light arcing onto the tree and ground is usually a tell tale sign. However, I agree it's best not too guess. Despite that it sure sounds like a totally unorganized and lame effort as Ginx describes it. We were without power for a week in '08, a week that featured heavy snow and bitter temps. The response from WMECO was very organized and swift (at least as swift as an extreme situation allowed). We were finally brought back on line by a crew from Kentucky. They were very cold and tired but said there job was made much easier because so many of us had cleared debris from the roads and any work zones that were safe to operate in. An embarrassing response to a disaster. The sad thing is the Gov. in CT will probably spend untold millions holding 'hearings' about what went wrong. Similar to the millions upon millions congress has wasted over the years investigating price gouging by the oil companies. A futile and costly endeavor.

Some areas are rural and that is probably the reason why it took so long for some of those areas...my parents are one of them. I think that sort of goes with the territory.

I was thinking back to that big squall line that raced across CT on June 9th I believe. That was also a warning sign for the grids because it knocked out power to hundreds of thousands too, and winds in that were not nearly as widespread as this.

The crackling bluewhite light arcing onto the tree and ground is usually a tell tale sign. However, I agree it's best not too guess. Despite that it sure sounds like a totally unorganized and lame effort as Ginx describes it. We were without power for a week in '08, a week that featured heavy snow and bitter temps. The response from WMECO was very organized and swift (at least as swift as an extreme situation allowed). We were finally brought back on line by a crew from Kentucky. They were very cold and tired but said there job was made much easier because so many of us had cleared debris from the roads and any work zones that were safe to operate in. An embarrassing response to a disaster. The sad thing is the Gov. in CT will probably spend untold millions holding 'hearings' about what went wrong. Similar to the millions upon millions congress has wasted over the years investigating price gouging by the oil companies. A futile and costly endeavor.

Exactly what I said a few days ago. People will complain, and the governor of course has to stand up for the people and will "launch an investigation" that in the end will result in some consulting firm charging the state $200k for a 500 page double spaced report basically saying there were initially too few linemen and tree crews.

what supplies, geez I missed this, was there a distribution area in eCT?

Ginx, don't worry, all your fellow CT residents in Litchfield county are fine. They were a priority as their climate controlled wine cellars couldn't be allowed to be without power for more than 45 minutes to an hour. First things first.

Some areas are rural and that is probably the reason why it took so long for some of those areas...my parents are one of them. I think that sort of goes with the territory.

I was thinking back to that big squall line that raced across CT on June 9th I believe. That was also a warning sign for the grids because it knocked out power to hundreds of thousands too, and winds in that were not nearly as widespread as this.

power was back on in hours for that, most of that outage was lightning related, some down trees and poles but mostly circuit breaker.

I live in as rural an area as you can get in SNE and even though the icestorm was not forecast to be as bad as it was there was a much better response. I think we should be more like the Chinese and execute corporate chiefs that allow major fook ups on their watch. My guess is that there would be far less fookups..

Heard through the grapevine that National Grid was not prepared for this storm. I don't understand, because they had to know that 60+mph winds and fully leafed trees = widespread outages. Many times when utility companies prepare for disasters, they call up other companies and actually plan around when the storm will arrive and leave so they can get guys into the problem zones. It sounds like they never had a complete plan of action. I don't know.

Apparently, they don't watch Ryan's broadcast.

I live in as rural an area as you can get in SNE and even though the icestorm was not forecast to be as bad as it was there was a much better response. I think we should be more like the Chinese and execute corporate chiefs that allow major fook ups on their watch. My guess is that there would be far less fookups..

Well we hit the storm hard back on eastern..lol.

And fewer corporate dinners.

Archived