• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Irene Damage Thread............Oh Yeah!

Mr Torchey

Apparently, they don't watch Ryan's broadcast.

I heard a few mets in BOS downplay Irene because it was weakening and heading near NYC. Apparently, they forgot about Gloria and the impacts it had to power. Ryan was probably one of the few that knew what 60-70mph winds could do to fully leafed trees.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently, they don't watch Ryan's broadcast.

I don't think this should have been a surprise to anyone lol. I do think it shows us how vulnerable the power grid is. A 1938 or Carol type storm would absolutely decimate the infrastructure. I don't think this storm is really much of a wake up call. This happened during Gloria and if anything the utilities are more unprepared now than they were then.

Well we hit the storm hard back on eastern..lol.

If I recall correctly, I think the bigger surprise in the ice storm was the impact in ORH County. I thought we in GC were pegged from the get-go and the issues in ORH were not really hit hard in the official forecasts until just before the storm, though BOX AFD's were on top of it earlier (was that Ekster who was all over it?).

70.1/64

If I recall correctly, I think the bigger surprise in the ice storm was the impact in ORH County. I thought we in GC were pegged from the get-go and the issues in ORH were not really hit hard in the official forecasts until just before the storm, though BOX AFD's were on top of it earlier (was that Ekster who was all over it?).

70.1/64

ORH county looked like they were gonna be ground zero or close to it. It was more Middlesex and Essex county that were hit a little harder than first thought. Yeah Mike was working and recognized the potential. It was when I just joined eastern so I didn't really know anyone, but I remember we all were pretty concerned about the situation.

ORH county looked like they were gonna be ground zero or close to it. It was more Middlesex and Essex county that were hit a little harder than first thought. Yeah Mike was working and recognized the potential. It was when I just joined eastern so I didn't really know anyone, but I remember we all were pretty concerned about the situation.

I rember getting a little worried when the ice was acreting (?) here by mid-afternoon. Damage notwithstanding, what a sight to behold. Of course, we are no way off on the Irene damage topic. How'd that happen? lol

what supplies, geez I missed this, was there a distribution area in eCT?

CL&P had large "hubs" in both Eastford and Waterford

Red Cross was pretty prominent in Plainfield, Griswold, Scotland, Canterbury

Sterling really feels left out as they got almost nothing....they've been more up in arms than anyone else I've talked to.

Windham, suprisingly, did a great job. Coventry, Mansfield, Tolland other notable towns that I felt really helped out their residents and had their stuff together.

My parents in North Woodstock, CT just got their power back on last night!

Again, that is two dirt roads (and a few miles) away from a paved road so its as rural as you can get in CT outside of Litchfield County.

Woodstock Fair today and all Labor Day Weekend, should be nice out there today.

Spent the day at the fair yesterday. came home and the power was on...wahoo

Internet/phone/cable came on this morning. Still a lot of folks without power down towards Ginx.

Still no power here in Salem. Most of the rest of the town is powered back up. I fully expect to be one of the last repairs in SE CT as they need to repair lines on about 6 poles in order to get power back to my house. Those poles only feed power to 2 houses, so major repair with only 2 customers benefitting = last in line. At least I have a good generator and the phone/internet is up and working. It seems the phone lines were able to hold up the trees/branches that came down even though the power lines couldn't.

Hmm, guess no one told us

Yeah most towns were either delivering stuff or putting stuff in staging areas. Most towns seemed to do a really good job getting info out not sure what happened in your town. When it comes down to it the municipalities after to communicate with their residents.

I don't think this should have been a surprise to anyone lol. I do think it shows us how vulnerable the power grid is. A 1938 or Carol type storm would absolutely decimate the infrastructure. I don't think this storm is really much of a wake up call. This happened during Gloria and if anything the utilities are more unprepared now than they were then.

Well if Katia hits, all the crews are here already lol

Spent the day at the fair yesterday. came home and the power was on...wahoo

Internet/phone/cable came on this morning. Still a lot of folks without power down towards Ginx.

Nice! I grew up spending Labor Day Weekend at that Fair... love it and miss it. A nice way to end each summer living in Woodstock before school started back up in Albany, NY.

Nice! I grew up spending Labor Day Weekend at that Fair... love it and miss it. A nice way to end each summer living in Woodstock before school started back up in Albany, NY.

Too expensive to spend the weekend there now.

They had the fairgrounds back online by Monday afternoon, then the power crews disappeared. Some people were really peeved.

They had the fairgrounds back online by Monday afternoon, then the power crews disappeared. Some people were really peeved.

I heard that as well. I work in Woodstock, and many of the folks that work with me are from there, an the whole fair getting power that quickly vs. people was something that was discussed at length at the water cooler during the week. Many of the homes in the surrounding fair area didn't get power until 2-3 days later.

It's that kind of political b.s. that pisses me off, but will never change.

By the looks fo the outage map, you're at least faring better than Griswold and Voluntown.

They were back on before me and went back out. Just got back from a friends house in Sterling, he got power back but his deep well pump is fried. My daughter in Voluntown is back on generator after two days with power. Saw 20 plus trucks pull into Sterling elementary.

I heard that as well. I work in Woodstock, and many of the folks that work with me are from there, an the whole fair getting power that quickly vs. people was something that was discussed at length at the water cooler during the week. Many of the homes in the surrounding fair area didn't get power until 2-3 days later.

Along those lines, here's a funny story. The Hyatt Regency here (a very nice hotel, by the way, that includes it's own indoor river and bridges that go across it) is or was housing many of the power and tree crews and had its power go out. Magically it came back on within a half hour. Local politicians refuse to comment on how that's possible when others waited days for restoration, but I thought it was pretty funny and obvious what had occurred.

I think it's just folks needing to be pissed. I understand why they hooked the fair up before me.

They were back on before me and went back out. Just got back from a friends house in Sterling, he got power back but his deep well pump is fried. My daughter in Voluntown is back on generator after two days with power. Saw 20 plus trucks pull into Sterling elementary.

We fried our fridge - or the crappy generator did when it started to choke. Couldn;t get it off fast enough to save the fridge.

I took about 2 hours of phone calls about this one night on my show this week....lotta people were REALLY pissed that the fair got power before a couple hospitals.

Finally getting things sorted out with our house. Back wall of the foundation caved in and flooded the basement. Water was out within 15 hours, house is braced up, bucket brigaded the mud out, humidity is down, blasting it with ozone tonight to prevent mold. Pouring a new foundation under the house next week. No flood insurance and our county is not on the FEMA list. :(

Archived