• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Irene Damage Thread............Oh Yeah!

Mr Torchey

Yep, a coworker of mine was coming back the Upper Valley of VT/NH from Bridgton, ME early Monday morning. First she tried the Kanc--denied. Then she tried 302 through Crawford, once again, shut out. Finally she made it across, south of the Whites by way of Tamworth, Center Harbor & Meredith. Needless to say, she was late for work.

Ouch.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep, a coworker of mine was coming back the Upper Valley of VT/NH from Bridgton, ME early Monday morning.  First she tried the Kanc--denied.  Then she tried 302 through Crawford, once again, shut out.  Finally she made it across, south of the Whites by way of Tamworth, Center Harbor & Meredith.  Needless to say, she was late for work.

That's a nice drive...but a loooonnnnggg one

Power came back this morning. Eneded up just under 5 full days (3 hours shy) without grid power. Generator was great. Overall I spent about 85.00 dollars on gas for the generator during this week. It was worth being able to shower, and have food in the fridge, and the crockpot cooking.

. . . I suppose our power coming back may be attributed to this, as it was not scheduled to come on until Monday night.

I live in Brooklyn where the emergency staging took place (Tolland and Waterford were other sites)

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/carousel/x1069103761/Out-of-state-power-crews-descend-on-Brooklyn-Fairgrounds#axzz1Wnuk1CkI

It was a pretty amazing scene. Hundreds of trucks are packed into the fair grounds now. I took some photos it and will post if they look o.k. as they were taken at night. I saw trucks from New Hampshire, Quebec and Wisconsin as well as others.

With all of the bitching and moaning people were doing, it was pretty to sad to hear that some folks marched into the fairgrounds and got loud with crews, including out of state crews about the power situation. After some guy drags his tired ass all the way up here from Tennessee, the last thing he wants to experience is the locals getting in his face about a situation beyond his control.

Also, isn't there a guideline about disaster response where people should expect that response to be in full effect 3-4 days after the disaster? Wed-Thurs would be that 3-4 day time frame which is about when things were repairs were really ramping up.

Power came back this morning. Eneded up just under 5 full days (3 hours shy) without grid power. Generator was great. Overall I spent about 85.00 dollars on gas for the generator during this week. It was worth being able to shower, and have food in the fridge, and the crockpot cooking.

. . . I suppose our power coming back may be attributed to this, as it was not scheduled to come on until Monday night.

I live in Brooklyn where the emergency staging took place (Tolland and Waterford were other sites)

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/carousel/x1069103761/Out-of-state-power-crews-descend-on-Brooklyn-Fairgrounds#axzz1Wnuk1CkI

It was a pretty amazing scene. Hundreds of trucks are packed into the fair grounds now. I took some photos it and will post if they look o.k. as they were taken at night. I saw trucks from New Hampshire, Quebec and Wisconsin as well as others.

With all of the bitching and moaning people were doing, it was pretty to sad to hear that some folks marched into the fairgrounds and got loud with crews, including out of state crews about the power situation. After some guy drags his tired ass all the way up here from Tennessee, the last thing he wants to experience is the locals getting in his face about a situation beyond his control.

Also, isn't there a guideline about disaster response where people should expect that response to be in full effect 3-4 days after the disaster? Wed-Thurs would be that 3-4 day time frame which is about when things were repairs were really ramping up.

Well they did warn everyone ahead of the storm that it would be a week for a lot of people. I guess now we know to take their pre-storm estimates seriously. You have to figure they reached out before the storm to out of state crews but were told no-go given the wide area of impact. Communications with the towns as they have admitted was not handled well, so that's a take a way that they can improve upon. Also, the inequitable manner in which it appeared resources were allocated might have upset those in the eastern half of the state, but who knows if that was really the case.

Power came back this morning. Eneded up just under 5 full days (3 hours shy) without grid

A lot of the problem was perception and lack of initial response to emergency situations. There were NO crews in NE CT until Wed. Lots of folks complained about extremly dangerous live lines and trees down on homes etc and were told to call the town. The towns and State are so undermanned it is sick. Not to get political but this state is fooked up beyong imagination. So friggin top heavy they beat your avatars. I do think however the immense vocal outpouring did reprioitize CLP. It worked but in no way no how should anyone blame the boots on the ground. Last night we offerred ribs, steaks and beer to the crews, which they denied but those guys are heros their bosses are zeros

Pics?

Lots of deep in the woods issues, saw skidders from Maine yesterday heading into the main transmission areas.

When linemen from NH say this.... this is from Todays paper.

Todd Thibodeau and Carey Plummer, from I.C. Reed Inc. of New Hampshire, said the number of downed wires in northeastern Connecticut was the worst they had ever seen.

. . . Communications with the towns as they have admitted was not handled well, so that's a take a way that they can improve upon.

From what I've heard CL&P used to take care of cutting trees, but do not now. This part of the work is in the hands of the state/ municipalities, which is obvioulsy paid for by taxpayers. I am not sure what prompted CL&P to get out of the tree clearing part of the business, but I am guessing that money played a big role. I wonder if that part of the equation was put back in the hands of CL&P if things would be different.

As far as the management goes, there has to be an answer to the perceived lack of response. There must be some protocol that needs to be met - a sequence of events so to speak. I just assume that there are schematic layouts of all of the lines, procedure manuals, etc. that are looked during an event like this with the proper sequence of repairs following some type of logical methodology. But, they also have to get the out of town crews on board as well.

. . . The damage from this storm has turned the area into such a clusterf*ck diaster zone at a level not seen in years, I don't know if managment knew how to deal with it.

(uggghh, I'm sucking myself into the CL&P discussion again. . . . must . . . stop . . . now)

A lot of the problem was perception and lack of initial response to emergency situations. There were NO crews in NE CT until Wed. Lots of folks complained about extremly dangerous live lines and trees down on homes etc and were told to call the town. The towns and State are so undermanned it is sick. Not to get political but this state is fooked up beyong imagination. So friggin top heavy they beat your avatars. I do think however the immense vocal outpouring did reprioitize CLP. It worked but in no way no how should anyone blame the boots on the ground. Last night we offerred ribs, steaks and beer to the crews, which they denied but those guys are heros their bosses are zeros

Dude, we have never met but after everything you have been through this week, this is one helluva classy post. Hope things are on the upswing for you!

I-91 S is closed for at least another week between Greenfield and Deerfield. The abutments were scoured by debris from the river and need repair. That should be a delight over a holiday weekend.

Rt 2 is closed indefinitely beyond Charlemont.

We came through the I-91 detour on Tuesday evening. Wasn't bad, maybe 15 minutes max.

HOWEVER, the geniuses of Mass DOT figured they would continue road construction in Holyoke and Springfield. Traffic was reduced to one lane. What a freaking mess! Folks heading south were not happy, given all of the transportation issues to the north.

One day at a time and thanks, we do need to meet. Power is on, lost all frozen goods.

Our house was out from Sunday morning until 5 pm yesterday. Lost some venison and a few other things. But, all of our tree damage fell into 50 acres of open space. I didn't have to cut or drag anything. We were VERY lucky, as Old Lyme had extensive tree damage.

I had a guy drop six or seven trees earlier in the summer. That may have helped.

FEMA report does not say, would imagine lots of coastal some trees, Dude back roads of Canterbury are crazy bad, telephone pole into house etc.

I didn't see the telephone pole / house combo. What road was that. Wife saw a big ole maple on top of an old house on the canterbury/ brooklyn line. I am hoping to get out and take some photos this weekend.

Was down in Westerly yesterday. Some decent beach erosion and one of the beach bars got pummled but other than that it wasn't too bad where I was (just near the state beach).

I didn't see the telephone pole / house combo. What road was that. Wife saw a big ole maple on top of an old house on the canterbury/ brooklyn line. I am hoping to get out and take some photos this weekend.

Was down in Westerly yesterday. Some decent beach erosion and one of the beach bars got pummled but other than that it wasn't too bad where I was (just near the state beach).

Near Kinney Rd, cemetery Rd. I posted how Westerly sent a virtual army to Misquamicut. Check out the you tube vids on Misquamicut during the storm and then picture what you saw yesterday, maxing infrastructure in Westerly, tourism dollars do that.

Near Kinney Rd, cemetery Rd. I posted how Westerly sent a virtual army to Misquamicut. Check out the you tube vids on Misquamicut during the storm and then picture what you saw yesterday, maxing infrastructure in Westerly, tourism dollars do that.

I will check that out at home. Sounds interesting.

My kids and wife went to the beach on wed. and the vibe there was rather dismal. She described it as somber. I warned the kids before the storm came that the beach may not look the same after. There were piles of rocks everywhere yesterday, and it was a rather different looking place.

From today's Recorder. Imagine if this were to happen to the major roads in other parts of the state. No one would be working.

A seven-mile section of Route 2, west of Charlemont and east of Florida has been made inaccessible by damage left by tropical storm Irene.

Michael Verseckes, spokesman for the Massachusetts Department of Transportation, said that along that stretch of road that connects Franklin County to the Berkshires there are multiple instances of damage to the road.

-----------------------------------

DEERFIELD — Part of Interstate 91 southbound will remain closed for “at least a week” while repairs are made to a bridge over the Stillwater section of the Deerfield River, according to the state Department of Transportation

From today's Recorder. Imagine if this were to happen to the major roads in other parts of the state. No one would be working.

A seven-mile section of Route 2, west of Charlemont and east of Florida has been made inaccessible by damage left by tropical storm Irene.

Michael Verseckes, spokesman for the Massachusetts Department of Transportation, said that along that stretch of road that connects Franklin County to the Berkshires there are multiple instances of damage to the road.

-----------------------------------

DEERFIELD — Part of Interstate 91 southbound will remain closed for “at least a week” while repairs are made to a bridge over the Stillwater section of the Deerfield River, according to the state Department of Transportation

Crazy stuff. Before I moved to CT., I would take 2 back and forth from Boston to my parent's house in Williamstown. Beautiful country through there.

Those front line guys (and gals) are out in all kinds of weather, working with live power up on a pole...

Huge respect for them. While we were dealing with the '08 Ice Storm it was so awesome to see the crews...

http://www.norwichbu...s#axzz1Wnuk1CkI

Wow... some people have no idea what these crews do and the time away from family, etc. No electricity is inconveinient but in most cases you can survive (especially when the weather is good)

Glad you are back on the grid. Business getting back to normal?

Archived