joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Irene Damage Thread............Oh Yeah!

Mr Torchey

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice write-ups but why isn't anyone asking the question of why places bordering CT that saw the same winds had fewer customers loose power? If you look at weather stations in several towns across the northern border of the state you can see winds were the same on both sides of the border. However, 90%+ of customers on the CT side of the border while less than 15% lost power on the MA side. One town to my north, Monson, had less than 2% of their customers loose power.

Someone needs to ask some questions of CL&P and determine if the scale of customers who lost power was reasonable given that neighboring regions who were equally as effected were not so impacted. Seems to me like they just want to pat themselves on the back for a job well done instead of saying "Could we have done anything else to reduce the number of people who lost power?"

Nice write-ups but why isn't anyone asking the question of why places bordering CT that saw the same winds had fewer customers loose power? If you look at weather stations in several towns across the northern border of the state you can see winds were the same on both sides of the border. However, 90%+ of customers on the CT side of the border while less than 15% lost power on the MA side. One town to my north, Monson, had less than 2% of their customers loose power.

Someone needs to ask some questions of CL&P and determine if the scale of customers who lost power was reasonable given that neighboring regions who were equally as effected were not so impacted. Seems to me like they just want to pat themselves on the back for a job well done instead of saying "Could we have done anything else to reduce the number of people who lost power?"

State hearings began yesterday.

Perhaps the same reason why they can't plow snow?

Well figuring out why power went out is pretty easy. The most common cause is a tree landed on power lines, a pole, took out a transformer, etc. Perhaps in those other places across the border they don't put infrastructure near trees, or if they do, they cut down the trees (something people tend to fight). I don't think it's going to turn out to be a case of CL&P skimping and using cheap infrastructure that can't withstand the impact of a 500 lb. tree (or whatever they weigh) coming down on it while in Massachusetts they can. Perhaps Massachusetts buries more power lines, who knows. I don't think there's going to be smoking gun type evidence that says "aha this is why Connecticut had so many more outages" other than the reasons you already could think of yourself.

Well figuring out why power went out is pretty easy. The most common cause is a tree landed on power lines, a pole, took out a transformer, etc. Perhaps in those other places across the border they don't put infrastructure near trees, or if they do, they cut down the trees (something people tend to fight). I don't think it's going to turn out to be a case of CL&P skimping and using cheap infrastructure that can't withstand the impact of a 500 lb. tree (or whatever they weigh) coming down on it while in Massachusetts they can. Perhaps Massachusetts buries more power lines, who knows. I don't think there's going to be smoking gun type evidence that says "aha this is why Connecticut had so many more outages" other than the reasons you already could think of yourself.

Tree trimming and maintenance.

Tree trimming and maintenance.

They already do a lot of that I'm sure. But how tall is a tree? 60 feet? Maybe taller? That means you'd have to cut down any trees within 60 feet of power lines to prevent them from ever coming down on the lines, and that's not practical. Short of moving power lines under ground, there's not a whole lot that's going to come of this other than maybe slightly better communication from CL&P during a major outage.

They already do a lot of that I'm sure. But how tall is a tree? 60 feet? Maybe taller? That means you'd have to cut down any trees within 60 feet of power lines to prevent them from ever coming down on the lines, and that's not practical. Short of moving power lines under ground, there's not a whole lot that's going to come of this other than maybe slightly better communication from CL&P during a major outage.

No they do not, many many limbs overhanging. There is a lot they can and will do next time, go to after Irene FB page.

Archived