wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Irene Damage Thread............Oh Yeah!

Mr Torchey

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More $$$ out there (being serious, don't know the demographics in CT much)

Well its 551 72 hours after the storm, my sister, father, brother in law, mother and father in law and many of our friends and 90% of my clients are without power, with many towns in Fairfield cty 60-100% without power, all inlaws in Greenwich, Father in Norwalk and sister in Wilton. Clients spread throughout the county, does not seem to be a money thing at all.

Power has been restored. Just got it back. It was some lines on Route 74 which were our trunk lines. 3 days...Not good,,but not bad..

Laundry, dishwasher and food back in the fridge time. Hope everyone gets theirs back soon

Congrats, sounds like you guys escaped the worst, looks like Scotland CT on East is the worst for rural areas.

Well its 551 72 hours after the storm, my sister, father, brother in law, mother and father in law and many of our friends and 90% of my clients are without power, with many towns in Fairfield cty 60-100% without power, all inlaws in Greenwich, Father in Norwalk and sister in Wilton. Clients spread throughout the county, does not seem to be a money thing at all.

It's only been 48 hours. There hasn't even been 2 full days of cleanup since the storm, so its not that bad of a response imo.

It's only been 48 hours. There hasn't even been 2 full days of cleanup since the storm, so its not that bad of a response imo.

Sorry about the typo you are correct. I was not implying the resonse has been bad...........in fact I think its been as good as can be expected. The issue are the trees, have to get those off the lines and roads first, but whatever, no matter what people will be upset no matter how good the response is. In fact we were told by the Governor and local officials to expect power outages up to a week, perhaps even more. Thousands of trees came down, I have seen multiple poles down, I think frustration stems from the creature comforts that power bring, in this day and age its all about being CONNECTED.

Sorry about the typo you are correct. I was not implying the resonse has been bad...........in fact I think its been as good as can be expected. The issue are the trees, have to get those off the lines and roads first, but whatever, no matter what people will be upset no matter how good the response is.

Yeah I agree...and wasn't just talking to you...it just seems people are never satisfied. Then again I never lost power one second, so maybe I'm not one to talk. The biggest effect this storm had on me is we can't run on our cross country course until next week because its too wet. laugh.gif

Sounds like CT's disaster response is just that....a disaster. They seemed to have a ton of issues too in the winter with large scale snow removal while just over the borders in RI and MA, they were dealing with it much smoother.

Disagree. I think the state and most towns did a great job preparing and responding.

The power company is a different story as they've cut the number of linesmen that they have to save money in recent years. They rely on mutual aid too heavily. That's not really a state issue unless the state wants to put regulations in place.

Cl&p says they have one of the most heavily tree covered lines in the country and that's why there's the delay.

Emergency managers think a 1938 repeat means 3-4 months until restoration would be completed with the entire power grid needing to be built from the ground up.

CT just has too many big trees. Also the CT coast was hit pretty bad but I think it's dozens not hundreds of homes that are destroyed. The VT flooding looks a lot worse, loosing power is a lot better than your house going down a mudslide.

Yeah the vt stuff is awful. The final number of condemned homes in ct will be in the hundreds though.

Disagree. I think the state and most towns did a great job preparing and responding.

The power company is a different story as they've cut the number of linesmen that they have to save money in recent years. They rely on mutual aid too heavily. That's not really a state issue unless the state wants to put regulations in place.

Cl&p says they have one of the most heavily tree covered lines in the country and that's why there's the delay.

Emergency managers think a 1938 repeat means 3-4 months until restoration would be completed with the entire power grid needing to be built from the ground up.

I don't get the critism of the power company. There is lots of damage throughout the state. Since the storm TWO days ago they cut the number of outages almost in half. I think they are doing a great job so far. As far as them cutting line workers and being understaffed they are a for profit corporation trading shares on the stock exchange. Of course they are going to want to increase their profit margin.

Tolland cancels first day of school tomorrow. Picking right up from last winter

Lucky them. Let's try and double or even triple the snow days this year...at least 15-20...I graduate on May 31st no matter what so who cares how many we get lol.

The past few days have been amazing...70s and dry conditions...although not dry compared to the 8% humidity of phoenix that I was in on Saturday...with a temp of 117F lol.

Lucky them. Let's try and double or even triple the snow days this year...at least 15-20...I graduate on May 31st no matter what so who cares how many we get lol.

The past few days have been amazing...70s and dry conditions...although not dry compared to the 8% humidity of phoenix that I was in on Saturday...with a temp of 117F lol.

:weenie::weenie::weenie:

No snow days this year!

So they're gonna tack all these lines back up again, and then in a few years they will all be wrecked again by a tropical storm or an ice storm, You name it. Great system....

Sorry about the typo you are correct. I was not implying the resonse has been bad...........in fact I think its been as good as can be expected. The issue are the trees, have to get those off the lines and roads first, but whatever, no matter what people will be upset no matter how good the response is. In fact we were told by the Governor and local officials to expect power outages up to a week, perhaps even more. Thousands of trees came down, I have seen multiple poles down, I think frustration stems from the creature comforts that power bring, in this day and age its all about being CONNECTED.

The media has discovered VT and all the national news shows etc. are there, but it is every bit as bad in ENY along several river basins. The entire Schoharie Valley is destroyed basically. I'm gonna venture down there (8 miles west of me) and get a look as the devastation tomorrow. Also Windham, NY (where the ski resort is) was swept away by the Batavia Kill. Water level at 5 feet inside the first floors of houses.

NY Thruway (90) still closed west bound from this exit (25A) to Herkimer and east bound from Syracuse to here. All of the west bound traffic is passing through Duanesburg here on US-20.

Yeah the vt stuff is awful. The final number of condemned homes in ct will be in the hundreds though.

We had 2 things going for us

1) Lieutenant Gov Nancy Wyman lives in my neighborhood

2) We are the 31st best small town to live in in the country and # 1 in CT

My family in North Woodstock, CT still does not have power and CL&P said it might be another few days before it is fully restored to the area, up to a week total. Granted they are two dirt roads from a paved road and about as rural as you can get for the state of CT, outside of maybe Litchfield County.

Whats going on in Stowe? Flooding along the river/creek that runs along route 108 at all? I can't recall the name of it but it flows right behind the motel we stay at ...the Stowe Motel....

My family in North Woodstock, CT still does not have power and CL&P said it might be another few days before it is fully restored to the area, up to a week total. Granted they are two dirt roads from a paved road and about as rural as you can get for the state of CT, outside of maybe Litchfield County.

Around here most of the newer places at least have the lines buried from the road in... But the lines are all above ground along the roads. My Dad had the electric line buried (200 ft long) in from the road in 1965 when he built his house. He sold the place in 2006 and that original line is still in there.

Our power lines are underground thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Whats going on in Stowe? Flooding along the river/creek that runs along route 108 at all? I can't recall the name of it but it flows right behind the motel we stay at ...the Stowe Motel....

The flooding was bad on the West Branch but not catastrophic like other parts of the state. We had a record flood event (tying the 1927 flood in Stowe) back in April when thunderstorms over Mt Mansfield and Stowe dropped like 4-5" in nearly as many hours, on top of still-significant snowpack. That flash flood caused police to go door to door evacuating people at 2 in the morning. On Sunday water got almost as high but didn't quite make that mark from back in April... however, Irene's flooding was by far more significant in just how widespread the record to near-record flooding was.

Here's a pic from Sunday afternoon with more rain to come... there were whole trees floating down what is normally a knee deep at most mountain stream/river. In this pic you can see a leafed tree just floating down the middle of it. The banks got a lot wider though due to the amount of trees and dirt that got sucked in.

This is like 4 times the normal width... you wouldn't have a prayer if you went swimming in this as it rushes through town.

That's good that it wasn't that bad... :thumbsup: I was thinking we may not have a place to stay in late October when we go up hiking again.

I have taken that bike path that heads into the village and crosses the creek over some really nice bridges. Hopefully that is all intact.

The flooding was bad but not catastrophic like other parts of the state. We had a record flood event (tying the 1927 flood in Stowe) back in April when thunderstorms over Mt Mansfield and Stowe dropped like 4-5" in nearly as many hours, on top of still-significant snowpack. That flash flood caused police to go door to door evacuating people at 2 in the morning. On Sunday water got almost as high but didn't quite make that mark from back in April... however, Irene's flooding was by far more significant in just how widespread the record to near-record flooding was.

Here's a pic from Sunday afternoon with more rain to come... there were whole trees floating down what is normally a knee deep at most mountain stream/river. In this pic you can see a leafed tree just floating down the middle of it. The banks got a lot wider though due to the amount of trees and dirt that got sucked in.

This is like 4 times the normal width... you wouldn't have a prayer if you went swimming in this as it rushes through town.

Archived