joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Irene Damage Thread............Oh Yeah!

Mr Torchey

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay I going to go out on a limb and say East Haven wins.

http://easthaven.pat...e#photo-7530191

post-673-0-24830500-1314581791.jpg

Are the codes in CT on the coast much less strict then in Mass? I mean even from Joe's beach pics..houses were right there on the water, so no wonder they were flooded out. I know they had surge, but it seems like the houses were really close to the shore, and low.

Really nasty scenes out there. Great pics. Ginx, again sorry about your house bro.

Just checking out the vids I made yesterday and some damage pics....will upload shortly. I didn't really go out and survey anything or try to find anything, or goto the more damage prone areas; most of the pictures are just from driving home and scenes along the way in the neighborhood and route to the highway.

Are the codes in CT on the coast much less strict then in Mass? I mean even from Joe's beach pics..houses were right there on the water, so no wonder they were flooded out. I know they had surge, but it seems like the houses were really close to the shore, and low.

Scooter the houses are fairly close but in that section the se walls were between 4-6 ft and some houses had even more protection. This area is very flat, but the storm surge went inland 8 tenths of a mile, incredible.

From: http://www.killingtonzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32667&start=75#p447891

the entire area from K to MRG is largely destroyed, we did damage survey and checked on friends via ATV between bethel and pittsfield. 1/2 mile or better sections of roadway missing everywhere, mudslides, many many bridges out miles of powerlines down or gone completely. Everyone in this area is isolated from any services. Assisted power co personnel on dirtbikes find their way through the woods to skirt impassable areas. FEMA copters flying overhead as well. It will be a while before anyone around here can even go anywhere besides out to look at damage and check on friends. We are off to get clean drinking water and supplies to some less fortunate neighbors.

yikes

Still no power at home in Randolph. Lost power about 10:30 Sunday morning. About 15 minutes before that one of the large oaks in our front yard snapped about 20 feet above the ground. Fortunately it didn't fall towards the house, but onto the driveway and my car. I was lucky that it was just the top branches that landed on the car and not the 16 inch trunk! Car has a couple of dents, but otherwise its fine. I'll post pix later. Lots of other trees down in the neighborhood. Definitely the worst winds I've experienced since Gloria - probably worse actually. I'd guess 60 - 70 at least for gusts, could have been higher. Some trees were blowing at about a 45 degree angle, and it was quite scary to hear the occasional cracks all around us. We have a grove of sassafras trees in the back yard that are now all leaning about 20 degrees.

From WCAX News. looks like the death toll rises to three in VT

"A body of one of the missing men who disappeared while they were checking the City of Rutland's water system has been recovered in Killington.Officials tell the Rutland Herald that Rutland Water Treatment Plant Supervisor Michael Garofano and his 25-year-old son Mike were checking the inlet on the Mendon Brook in Mendon at about 1:30 p.m. Sunday when city officials lost cell phone contact with them.

Rescuers had hoped to find the men at the water system's inlet house, but it was empty when crews arrived there Monday morning. Officials have not identified the name of which man was recovered."

http://www.wcax.com/story/15352242/search-under-way-for-2-vt-men-lost-in-river?redirected=true

Cisco Beach at Nantucket this morning at high tide.

Ack, great picture.. Thank You. The "damage" in eastern Massachusetts looks a lot worse than what happened in Rhode Island. My guess is that rain band matured and remained over SE MA a lot longer than it did in Rhode Island.

I just got my power back on in Newport at 5pm...The way National Grid was talking earlier today it sounded like it could be out for a lot longer on this island....Irene was a total bust for me, but I got what I expected which was virtually nothing.

Tough seeing the K-mart base lodge wiped out. Lots of good memories there. Glad to see MRG pulled through with little damage though the MRV seems to have taken a big hit. Lots of work to get done before the snow flies.

Update from K. They say it's just the Pub side of the lodge that was destroyed, so the original KBL still stands.

This information is inaccurate. It was the Superstar Pub portion that sustained damage which is on a separate foundation from the main portion of the K-1 Lodge.

The resort is still without power and all major roads into Killington are closed.

Crews are assessing damage and updates will be forthcoming on our blog

Chris Danforth

Marketing Manager

Killington Resort

Tough seeing the K-mart base lodge wiped out. Lots of good memories there. Glad to see MRG pulled through with little damage though the MRV seems to have taken a big hit. Lots of work to get done before the snow flies.

reports trickling out of Vt are surreal right now. town only accessible by copter miles of roads gone.

reports trickling out of Vt are surreal right now. town only accessible by copter miles of roads gone.

This may go down as one of the most serious widespread flash flood event the entire state has seen in modern times. I'm still blown away by how high the water rose and blasted through almost every town in the state.

5-10" of rain in under 24 hours in very hilly, mountainous terrain is devastating.

This may go down as one of the most serious widespread flash flood event the entire state has seen in modern times. I'm still blown away by how high the water rose and blasted through almost every town in the state.

5-10" of rain in under 24 hours in very hilly, mountainous terrain is devastating.

Same here Scott, steep terrain drains quickly and violently. I was blown away by the severity of the flooding here. Tough to say this storm was overhyped with such a swath of destruction.

At least at Bartonsville Covered Bridge it worst flood since at least 1870 based on this clip of it's destruction

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ck7Xtxo2ZQU

Update from K. They say it's just the Pub side of the lodge that was destroyed, so the original KBL still stands.

[/font]

Also read that there was structural damage to the k-1 gondola and several other lifts. With 60 days or so until snowmaking resumes they've got a lot of work to do.

Archived