joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Irene Damage Thread............Oh Yeah!

Mr Torchey

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spotty cell phone, got my electrical service put back on the house, roofer says all new roof needed,3-4 weeks before town has electricity, devastation in areas, thinking tornado in worst areas as there are twisted trees facing circular directions, saw a corn field in Voluntown from an elevated area with distinct circular pattern, cool stuff.

Why Ginx? How old? Glad you're ok and hope things get back on an even keel for you soon.

Amazing how when you are in the disaster zone you miss what happens in the rest of the world, finding out here, wow

Sorry Steve. Till you live through it people can't relate. It's a fine-line, reason and logic vs.the weenie. Weenie wins 9/10 of the time. This is the onetime.

Good Luck....

Everything good with you Don? Hope so. Is the back ready to shovel through an epic Winter?

You bet Pete, can even swing the sticks again. Hope you and neighbors are intact. Was reading and very concerned for ya. My neighbor had an 18" Oak limb, 30' trunk just miss his house by inches. Thinking majority of posters thankfully unscathed. One of these GTG we will meet and share a drink.

The VT pics are incredible. Wow, but that's what 10" of rain in 10 hours will do.

The Fairfield to East Haven pics are sad too, but I would have thought those newer homes would be under post Gloria building codes. That was an 8-9' surge. God help those towns when a Cat II strikes. Pretty clear how vulnerable parts of SNE are.

You bet Pete, can even swing the sticks again. Hope you and neighbors are intact. Was reading and very concerned for ya. My neighbor had an 18" Oak limb, 30' trunk just miss his house by inches. Thinking majority of posters thankfully unscathed. One of these GTG we will meet and share a drink.

Thanks for the concerns Don, I have some stories to tell. No doubt CT had tornado in this one

The VT pics are incredible. Wow, but that's what 10" of rain in 10 hours will do.

The Fairfield to East Haven pics are sad too, but I would have thought those newer homes would be under post Gloria building codes. That was an 8-9' surge. God help those towns when a Cat II strikes. Pretty clear how vulnerable parts of SNE are.

Let me tell you first hand, Fu. Ck the Gov't they are useless. My power line was hanging across the road windshield height, called state police, local police, state gov't, town hall, nobody responded. An 18 wheeler asswipe came down the hill, drove over the barrier my neighbor put up, caught the wires on his exhaust, almost decapitated my wife and grandson, lucky the fell off. If a serious cane hits, we are Fu cked. Taxes, bul. Ll. Sh. It

Amazing, Knee high waves are rough sees for the long Island sound. Waves knocking over a house is a holy **** event.

Let me tell you first hand, Fu. Ck the Gov't they are useless. My power line was hanging across the road windshield height, called state police, local police, state gov't, town hall, nobody responded. An 18 wheeler asswipe came down the hill, drove over the barrier my neighbor put up, caught the wires on his exhaust, almost decapitated my wife and grandson, lucky the fell off. If a serious cane hits, we are Fu cked. Taxes, bul. Ll. Sh. It

Quite honestly...this has exposed how ill prepared CT is for a major disaster. The pre-storm prep was severely lacking. With the forecast what is was...I would've expected more mandatory evacuations on the shoreline. The images out of east haven and Fairfield are awful...but can you imagine had this had sustained winds 20mph stronger as forecast? And towns like Clinton (and Madison as far as I know) only had voluntary evacs. They had some damage...but from what I've managed to find...nothing like areas just west. They dodged a bullet IMO. Evacuation info prior to the storm was non-existent. I believe I read Madison doesn't even have official evacuation routes in place. Bottom line...if this hit as a cat 2 storm as it easily couldve...I suspect the death toll wouldve been much higher in CT...and a result of poor planning, decision making, and implementation of emergency plans. And I'm sure that same lack of preparedness is slowing recovery efforts to some degree.

Does anyone have an idea why the power outages were as prolific as they were?? Bill O'Reilly asked the question tonight about the area he lives in....on Long Island's Nassau County.

I'm quite surprised about the extent of the Rhode Island power outages. I didn't see any powerlines down and serious tree damage was minimal. Tree damage was extensive here during Bob, moderate during Gloria, but minimal this time...yet power outages either matched or exceeded those during two bona fide hurricanes. Are the electric companies getting cheap in maintaining their systems. The winds I experienced were comparable to Edourad, March 1993, Jan. 2005, and Floyd and none of those events knocked out power to more than 20 thousand in Rhode island.

Anyone see the first block NBC nightly news tonight? The damage in ct and vt is heartbreaking

The pictures and videos can't protray what we are experiencing here in VT., it can only give you an idea.

I've lived here 61 yrs. and today it was amazing what water devastration has done to us all over the State.

And we stock the water for survival.

I know that Scooter was asking about how close houses were built to the sound, this pic is the only one I could find on my phone, but to answer the question Penfield and Fairfield Beach are actually very wide. At high tide in places it comes close to the private sea walls,however just north of Penfield there are actually dunes, and in the less poplulated parts of Fairfield Beach there are extensive dunes on the south inlet. At the end of the inlet beach erosion is a HUGE problem and the houses are on stilts. I cant speak for east Haven but one of the things that makes Penfield unique is that it faces due east down the entire length of Long Island Sound, in the off season when there is a bit of east or northeast wind there are even waves, it sort of has a more ocean like feel to it, with the sand bars and lack of rocks especially at Penfield and lesser extent at Fairfield Beach. This area is very, very shallow at low tide you can walk out for hundreds of yards, I think the water is easily funneled into this area, and there is also a reef that extends over a mile into the sound which you can walk out onto at low tide.

Even so a storm surge of 8-9 feet will do major damage in many places, but to answer Scooters, and some others questions I think the lay of the the land sort of speak really aids in surge here, and has happened before and is well known for it, that east wind just piled the water in, it had no place to go and the ENORMOUS waves did the rest.

Much suffering is going everywhere, my heart goes out to everyone, the flooding up north is just sickening:(

I would say the situation along the Schoharie and then Mohawk estuary in NY State rivals things in VT: detailed in today's Albany Times Union . Prattsville, NY in the northwest Catskills essentially swept away by the Schoharie. Windham totally underwater yesterday. The crest is hitting Schenectady early today. At one point yesterday 9 feet of water was flowing over the top of the Gilboa Dam and all downstream villages were evacuated, but the dam held.

All I had was one maple tree left unstable and listing a bit....can't complain in comparison. Power was out for 24 hours... Hundreds of road closures around here from the smaller kills and creeks..slowly re-opening.

Ack, great picture.. Thank You. The "damage" in eastern Massachusetts looks a lot worse than what happened in Rhode Island. My guess is that rain band matured and remained over SE MA a lot longer than it did in Rhode Island.

I just got my power back on in Newport at 5pm...The way National Grid was talking earlier today it sounded like it could be out for a lot longer on this island....Irene was a total bust for me, but I got what I expected which was virtually nothing.

We actually got no rain for the entire storm except a trace from the pre. All the leaves will defoliate from the salt spray as it did for Bob and Gloria. We will end up get a second bloom in September because the plants were"tricked" into thinking they went through winter.

Damage Pete, multiple tree branch and tree hits, water underneath, lost lots of shingles.

Smelled the ocean, lots of trees are now yellow from salt.

Wow, hopefully insurance pays for it. Just wondered if he might be trying to gouge you, though I'm sure you can tell if the roof really needs replacing.

That's great news Don. Hopefully there will be another GTG in Oct/Nov as I'll miss the September GTG for a golf tournament. Look forward to meeting you.

Does anyone have an idea why the power outages were as prolific as they were?? Bill O'Reilly asked the question tonight about the area he lives in....on Long Island's Nassau County.

I'm quite surprised about the extent of the Rhode Island power outages. I didn't see any powerlines down and serious tree damage was minimal. Tree damage was extensive here during Bob, moderate during Gloria, but minimal this time...yet power outages either matched or exceeded those during two bona fide hurricanes. Are the electric companies getting cheap in maintaining their systems. The winds I experienced were comparable to Edourad, March 1993, Jan. 2005, and Floyd and none of those events knocked out power to more than 20 thousand in Rhode island.

Driving down main roads things sometimes look normal, then you take a side street and it's WTF. The damage is not consistent at all, those bands with the high winds which were swirling good seemed to bounce across the countryside. I am of the firm believe multiple min spin ups occurred as those winds transferred down, even iIMBY I watched as. The trees were rocked vilolently in multiple direction when those squalls came through. Saw lots of damage that was straight line then lots of twisted areas. I know in RI family within yards of each other experienced totally different storm. Perhaps one of the oddest storms ever, just my luck I got under one of the severe squalls.

I rode the storm out in short beach branford ct and it was someting else...lots of damage cars floating by in the storm surge and major structural damage to some houses.The south wind was relentless my car was 5 blocks from the ocean and was covered by beach sand and leaves.My stepfather is a photographer and took some amazing photos as soon as he gets power back I will post the pictures of the height of the storm.

Another major rain event anytime soon would be un-imaginable. Many damns, burms and retaining walls have been compromised. Bridges are still being evaluated. Roads everywhere are washed out. Traffic on my road has doubled because it is currently the only way out of Colrain and Leyden. Streams are re-routed. The Green River near my house is literally flowing about 50' east of where it was a few days ago.

edit: This area has also suffered millions of dollars in crop losses.

Archived